Reviews for Venom In His Soul
Talagan chapter 1 . 5/12/2011
I am completely unfamiliar with Neverwinter Nights (judging from the category it is in, I'm guessing it's a game... lol). I was just randomly browsing through and I'm glad I stumbled upon this story, even if I don't know what NWN is about. The emotions in this story are portrayed amazingly; the hatred each has for the other for what was done to their respective families, the rage ignited by the latter. And I can just imagine Wyvern's shock when Kieran lets him live.

Overall, a very enjoyable story. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more of your work! :)
Iceheart Firesoul chapter 1 . 12/30/2007
Out of curiosity- and yes, I did originally come to check for an update on Shadows- *pokes you* I checked this out. It's obvious you wrote it a while ago, as the writing seems less mature, but you still achieved a main character that managed to escape being cliche. It was a bit of a narrow escape, as there are multitudes of "bad guys" that really aren't all the bad and just have haunted pasts, but you did it well enough that Wyvern turned out ok. That, and I have a soft spot for misunderstood villains. :) *hugs* to Wyvern.

You may smite me now, for I have not heard Iron Maiden's "The Fugitive", but while reading this Styx's "Renegade" was playing in a loop in my head. This translates to "Good story, sleepy Iceheart go bed now and try to unplug broken CD player in head."
RonCN chapter 1 . 12/13/2007
Great story. Neat and powerful. I liked Wyvern when playing the OC - i'll even confess that I tried to get something out of him that wasn't just his ear, but bioware wouldnt let me...

Still, as many others have pointed out, the tying og the OC and SOU was probably the best thing. To think of the hours I spent trying to get that lone elf (in my mind, he was wyvern no matter what the tag said after reading this story) to join up as my henchman...

Thanks for sharing the story with us. Who cares if there actually *is* a Ferran elf or if the Shadow Hart exists... the only thing that matters to me is the emotion, the beautiful emotion you managed to convey.
purple-drake chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
I'm a pretty big fan of Neverwinter Nights, and speaking as someone who spends a great deal of her time (if not too much of her time) musing about morality and ethics, one thing that has always, *always* frustrated me about the game is how black and white its mentality is. And of all the missions, Wyvern has always caused me the most thought and annoyance in that respect. I almost always let him live, no matter that it gives me 'evil points'; I just can't bring myself to condemn him after his story.

So I'm incredibly gratified to have seen and read this story; everything you said in it (including your author's notes) I completely agree with, and I'm so glad to see someone else who feels the same way.

Plus, I've always liked the character of Ferran from the expansion, and the thought of him really being Wyvern seeking redemption... I love it. Great work.
Sings-off-key chapter 1 . 2/3/2007
A powerful story, I enjoyed it very much.
Thieving Jedi chapter 1 . 12/12/2006
Mind if I sign up to be a Wyvern Fan-Girl? *stares and grins with delight* Just my type of torn and world-weary.

Anyways, there's a sentence in there that stuck out as especially vivid in its description and I just have to point at it: Quick as a lizard darting into the hole in the rock, Wyvern slid out of his hiding place and off to the side into another one [..]

Say what you want, but that line's gonna be stuck in my head for a long time. ;)
fraught chapter 1 . 10/29/2006
I always let Wyvern(and Delilah) go when I do the bounty quest, and I wondered what they ended up doing. Going off into the north seems right for him, and his thoughts when meeting the PC as Ferran were amusing(and accurate). I loved that you tied in the SoU storyline at the end, even though I do have to point out the Shadow Hart IS real.

I did think the battle was a little dry, while it was better than a simple 'and then they fought, and Wyvern lost,' it felt a bit too much like a play by play.
Dawncat chapter 1 . 2/4/2006
Nice adaption. I found the moment when Kieran let Wyvern live to be particularly powerful.

Thank you.
eoweintheile chapter 1 . 1/21/2006
Your characterization of Wyvern was detailed and it remained consistent throughout the story. Kieran's backstory is also clear, but one element was a little jarring...his age at the time of his mother's death. You may want to revise upward and make Kieran a little older in this initial encounter, just to make his actions more credible and attributable to his own understandings of his father's actions as well as those of Wyvern. You might also want to change one sentiment of the "I grew up hating you, Wyvern..". At eighteen (or even 25), he's not likely to go on alone...especially if he has found peace.

It was interesting that you began with the pivotal encounter and then moved forward to the echoes/ramifications of the encounter. Motivations were very clear (see note above on Kieran). As Kieran's redemptive quest ends, he engenders another...very nice. I too like the tie-in to that darned elusive Hart quest...(the time I wasted in SotU, only to find out I didn't have the appropriate skills-gah!). This story works very well and changes the way I perceive two quests...both of which I thought were absolutely pointless in the game. Now, they have meaning. Well done!
Jemima Aslana chapter 1 . 1/8/2006
As far as the story goes, I love it. Very well done. Personally I never wanted to kill Wyvern (what kind of name is Wyvern anyway?) I especially liked how you tied the original campaign and the SoU together, very neatly done.

However there is an inconsistency with the game, though it is insignificant to all other things than Wyvern/Ferran's thoughts:

I see some of your other reviewers didn't find it flawed that you made the Shadow Hart an imaginary beast.

You *can* in fact find it in the game. It's not a heart, but a hart. A stag. A Shadow Hart is the stag version of a blink dog. If you spend enough time actually looking around that area you'd find odd tracks that appear out of nowhere and disappear again, but you can find a direction to them and you can follow it eventually leading you to the Shadow Hart, which you can kill.

Other than that detail that I figured you'd want to know about I love the story - have read it many times now.
Tasharene chapter 1 . 12/25/2005
Wow... I can easily see why you are proud of this one. One hell of good and original story here. You did an amazing job of twisting the story and showing it from a totally reversed point of view. Plus, of course you gave it a lot of intricate details and captivating background.

Damn, if I ever get to playing the game once more, this particular part of it will never be the same again for me. Congratulations!
Night Vendiviel chapter 1 . 4/11/2005
Well... That is a great storry! Very imotional. At some point I've even had a big urge to cry. Yet I laughed quiet a bit too, ah... so much for the humans in the forest! Hee-hee-hee.. I've really hated that human at first, yet in the end he earned my respect. And I liked how you've twisted it into the SoU. Trully a great idea! I myself thought what was that ranger about? Yet I never gave it too much of a thought. And you've actually noticed that nonesence about that Shadow Heart beast! Wow and I was silly enough to run my head out in search of it ;p And you could emagine how disappointed I was not to find it anywhere! I so wanted to see how it looks, especially it's "famed" horns... I guess I have some weird twist on horns... I just love horns... on everything! *Drools on a keyboard looking at a wallpaper with Valen on it*

Oh... whoa! that went some weird direction!

Well... what else to say? I loved this little storry, that is obvious. And sorry I haven't reviewed for some time. I broke my leg a week and a half ago. And spent most of the time in bed... did not have much desire even for my computer. I've seen you've posted two more chapters, so I'll go read them now.

Countess Von K chapter 1 . 4/1/2005
Well, girl... As you said, I just loved it :) For me, Wyvern was always one of the most intriguing characters of NWN and I must say that it was my pleasure to release him and let him go in the game - after all, those stupid humans just happen to deserve what they got. I guess I seem to have a crush on psychopathic Elves... He also reminds me a bit on you-know-who - but then again, can you imagine R. chosing the path of redemption?

Maybe it's something I should think about.

But then - no way...

Anyway girl, good story, good job, great twist in the end and congratulations on the way you developed Wyvern's psychology. I liked his comments about the Shadow Heart and the human girl. Keep it up and thanks for writing a story about my very favorite ranger.

P.S. See you on Sunday, maybe?
shadow0015 chapter 1 . 3/31/2005
This was great...I loved the circle seeming to be broken. :-).

Aslo you did a great job of showing the fight scene...I really enjoyed it.

I want to kill a Shadow Heart...what if that's what I am though...oh no, you guys are going to try to come after me...I have a bow and I'm not afraid to use it. (Xer0- you don't have any arrows moron.) Oh oh. I guess I'll finish...I great idea for a one-shot. As I've mentioned I liked it...a few mistakes though but still very good.

Tartarus chapter 1 . 3/31/2005
Heh, that's an interesting story. You put your own little twist on it. I'm not sure if you did that quest for Shadows, but yeah it is possible to do. Any who its a good story.