Reviews for The Sadness of Geography
Hermonthis chapter 1 . 5/11
Reading this again after many years feels like I'm reading the words of Ondaatje himself. Your writing takes my breath away, and left me in awe. It's hauntingly beautiful and lyrical, and feels like it's a missing part of the novel itself.
marylinevelyn chapter 1 . 2/4/2011
It is remarkable how well you have captured Ondaatje's style! For a second I thought you were plagiarizing!

I loved how you pointed out that after all, it was Katherine who burned him. I had never thought of that and as soon as you said it, it suddenly seemed critical to my understanding of the story.

This was very well done.
Phantress chapter 1 . 12/30/2007
This was beautiful (and published on my birthday, so therefore extra special P). I really wish there was more English Patient literature, but there would be no guarntee it was as lovely as this. Truly - very well done! I curtsy in your general direction. :)
Paddington chapter 1 . 12/7/2006
This was so beautifully written, so elegant, You have my respect.
Ellen Fitzwilliam Brandybuck chapter 1 . 10/3/2006
This is soo beautiful! I adore every descriptive word and every insightful tidbit. Very charming and artistic. It fit the feel of the original story so perfectly it felt almost like an extension.
La gitane solitaire chapter 1 . 8/30/2005
English Patient! And your writing really merits the subject and does it justice. Again, your phrasing really is elegant: things like 'accidental rainbows' give it a lovely and (very authentic) feel, your last lines are masterful, and the dialogue is excellent. It doesn't impede on the prose, and simply floats in the conscious. Most of all, I love the theme you've chosen to write about. English Patient is a book on so many levels, and most people (in no small thanks to the excellent film) choose to focus on the relationship between Almasy and Katherine. So I applaud you for writing on what I feel is deeper - the 'sadness of geography', the tragedy of borders and nations...
luvin aoshi chapter 1 . 6/20/2005
Beautiful.
Haleth chapter 1 . 6/2/2005
Great is the fanfiction writer who can equal the original author. And you, are great. This was sorrowfully beautiful, like a tapestry of dark, coloured threads. I stand in awe of the power of your skill.
Henry Plantagenet chapter 1 . 4/6/2005
I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but this was so moving! Your pictures of the characters are powerful enough to make the story stand on its own! At the risk of repeating myself, great job!
Lizella chapter 1 . 4/3/2005
Am I the only English Patient reader in the whole world? Unbelievable! Because the book and the movie were terrific and so is your story. And I want you to continue! Or write another one, one of those two options. Although I am a bit weird, I was much more interested in the " recent" happenings, those lost people in the old villa. Oh and I really got it for Hannah and Carravagio, they are such wonderful characters. Please, just for me, write more! Okay?