Reviews for Le Poisson d'Avril
AnneMary chapter 1 . 4/13/2014
Hi! Just a quick note to say I love this story. I've read it before - I loved it then and I love it now. It's hilarious - more so now that I've actually been to the US so I now understand half the things they're on about...

I'm totally with Malcolm, though. I'm English/Australian and have eaten some pretty weird things in my life, from horse to kangaroo to haggis, spotted dick, and blood pudding, to kimchi three times a day for two weeks (let's just say, it's hard to get a meal without kimchi in Korea), but I think some of the weirdest things I ate were in the US, like "biscuits" with "gravy" and iced tea. (Iced tea wasn't too bad, actually. It's more like cordial than tea, but it wasn't bad, like Dr Pepper or root beer, for example. And I live in the land of iced coffee, so that's really saying something).

My father eats his chips with mayonnaise. I thought it was an English thing (after all, Malcolm does it, too, right?) but he swears black and blue he picked it up in Germany. My mother and I eat our chips with gravy - who'd have tomato sauce? - but my sister has both. And by chips, of course, I mean hot chips, not cold chips.
brankel1 chapter 1 . 5/5/2011
Great job.
IchthusFish chapter 1 . 3/13/2006
Tries. Hard. Not. To. Laugh... Gives up lmao!

Malcolm knows languages? Because he was bored? That just great. I like him more all the time. He is so much like me lol. I learn languages when I get bored, just not very well *snicker* - Polish, Russian, French, Gaelic, Danish, Japanese, Maori, Klingon, Qenya (Elvish), Mayan hyrogliph and Egyptian hyrogliph.

Ever tried banana on pizza?
Fwe chapter 1 . 8/16/2005
Um... The fish of April? O.o Lol! Good job! Just one thing about that title though... I don't think you're supposed to capitolize 'Avril'... are you? And I like my French fries with Mayo. :P M... Funny story! I'd love to see their expressions!
RomulanFox chapter 1 . 6/2/2005
Interesting. Very interesting.
chief hanker chapter 1 . 4/30/2005
very funny story. interesting take on the language and delicacies of diffrent cultures. playing about with words is a bit tricky but you managed to pull it off. wasn't too grossed out on the food part. i've actually eaten some weird ones. dog stew, cat meat in a bun, roasted lizard, boiled duck eggs with unhatched ducklings inside, fried day old chicks, wild pig in soy sauce. we actually eat everything from the pig except the oink, and i do mean everything. have also eaten horse and carabao meat. they're chewy.
Exploded Pen chapter 1 . 4/4/2005
Good lord! Very funny, I could totally imagine that. Ah language!

Great story

~*~Exploded Pen~*~
Gabi2305 chapter 1 . 4/3/2005
That's an hilarious story. Poor Trip. First I suspected they did something with his peanuts, but this was even better. And I like French Fries with Mayo, too. ;o)
Rinne chapter 1 . 4/2/2005
Very amusing. Mayo on pizza *shudders*. I'd be with Malcolm though, an Aussie asks for tea we expect hot tea.
JadziaKathryn chapter 1 . 4/2/2005
Hehe, that's great. The French title is perfect, much funnier translated that saying April Fool's Day, too. Human cultures are wildly different, and I think you've used that with the characters very well.
greatunironic chapter 1 . 4/2/2005
...

I think I love you. Malcolm, Travis, and Hoshi playing a joke on Trip. Good stuff and, as always, excellent writing.

Loved the title, too. I'm a French student at my school. We celebrate Poisson d'Avril by taping fish on each others back and trying to make sure the other person doesn't notice until everyone starts laughing at the fish. Not real fish, mind you-that would be wierd.

MS
HoVis chapter 1 . 4/2/2005
Very nice little piece. Just one thing - chips in England is chips, not french fries! Lol