Reviews for The Black Wizard
APS chapter 7 . 6/21/2005
grejt story,

keep upp the good work.

Opinions are like assholes.

Everyone has one - but some just smell worse than others. ;)
I.H.N chapter 7 . 6/20/2005
Alright, another crossover-review. Strange, that...

Anyway, this seems like a quite good and interesting story. Many crossovers tend to be less than well carried out, because the author lacks the knowledge, how certain aspects of the participating worlds would interact. This is does not seem to be the case here.

It also seems to me, that most characters are in character, more or less, which is a great thing, in a crossover.

However, as one who is a Lord of the Rings fan first and foremost, I have to say, that I do not agree with a few of your interpretations of that world.

I am glad, that you know, that the magic used by wizards in Middle-earth and that used by wizards in the "Potter-verse" are different. But they are more than different. From what I know about "Harry Potter", I would say, that they are utterly unrelated. There are exactly five wizards in Middle-earth (as you certainly know). The reason for that is, that they are divine entities who are stuck in the bodies of Men.

They also never were young, and so I wonder why Gandalf misjudged Harry's age. He is familiar with the aging-processes of the different kinds of mortals.

Futhermore, nobody who knows the truth about Middle-earth's wizards (Cirdan, Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn, Thranduil (most likely), perhaps Denethor and a few others) would use that same title to refer to Harry. They would call him a sorcerer, a magician or something like that.

Now, back to the magic. This time, it's about Galadriel's powers. I do not think, that it is all that unusual, that she is denied access to somebody's mind. Tolkien said somewhere, that no sentient mind can "read" the thoughts (or memory imprints) of another, should the other mind decide, that it really, really does not want to be "read". Certain individuals like the Middle-earth wizards, Cirdan, Elrond and Sauron of course are most likely able to fully close their minds. I also believe, that it would be quite unlikely, that a hat, even a sentient, magical one, can access Galadriel's mind, while Sauron, powerful demonic entity that he is, cannot.

To me, it looks like Gandalf and the Elves would consider Harry's magic to be a clumsy and noisy thing. To them, it would look wholly unnatural to use a device like a wand to bring a being's innate powers to bear. After all, they are living, breathing magic. Magic is to them like water is to fish.

It is alright to have the hobbits "Oh!"- and "Ah!"-ing over Harry's magical abilities, but those with their own innate powers would probably be less than impressed. He might, to them, look like some kind of strange sorcerer, who is trying to show off his powers.

Anyway, keep writing, but please keep it objective. A boy named Harry Potter, no matter how special he is, will never be the greatest source of magic Middle-earth has ever seen.
Kara chapter 7 . 6/18/2005
Great chapter! Pity about Hedwig though. I wish she could have found Harry. Oh well, maybe she harrassed Haldir instead.
JuMiKu chapter 7 . 6/18/2005
Oh, oh! Busted! I wonder what she has seen.
ZWngDragon chapter 7 . 6/17/2005
You know there is such a thing as sticking charms.
No.names.availible chapter 7 . 6/17/2005
Wonderful! *laughs* I just love this story.

..but just loving it doesn't make writing these things any easier! Honestly, I actually have to think! The horror.

I rather like the fact that there isn't a pairing. I really do get sick of them. I always think, can't we just have the drama and adventure? *nods* ...but if they write it well enough...well, enough said.

Excellent work.

-exile
JuMiKu chapter 6 . 6/16/2005
Poor Harry! Having a talking hat to sort the students of your school into the house where they will be happy and feel they belong, is cool, but having to wear one every day is anoying.
Suuki-Aldrea chapter 6 . 6/11/2005
Sugoi! He's got the Sorting hat! I wounder why... Oh well, update soon please! Ja ne!
JiminSugaHope chapter 6 . 6/11/2005
What? It's the Sorting Hat? I am right, right? Those elves are a suspicious lot aren't they. This fic seems to be very well thought out and written. I really enjoy reading it. Keep up the amazignly good work.

~Ivy Snowe
APS chapter 6 . 6/11/2005
grejt story,

keep upp the good work.

Opinions are like assholes.

Everyone has one - but some just smell worse than others. ;)
Signeus chapter 5 . 6/7/2005
The whole orcs frying thing makes sense. Their aversion to sunlight plus the fact that Harry created a cross between the sun and a halogen light, the latter of which fries insects within 6 inches of the light source, it seems logical.
K.Jas chapter 6 . 6/5/2005
I was thinking that when Harry meets Galadrial, she'd probably be interested in him, being a Power herself, so they might talk. She could give him some hints on how to shield his mind, having some sort of telepathy herslf.
The Dizzy One chapter 6 . 6/2/2005
I really like this fic but i am also a major legolas fan. Why did you make legolas so snobby anyway? I think the bit with hedwig and the lorien elves was brill! (Take that you lorien scum! !)

Update soon!

- The Dizzy One -
Kara chapter 6 . 6/2/2005
Great chapter! This is one of my favourite stories, if not the most favourite. I loved the action between Harry and Haldir. It'll be amusing when the gang finds out Harry is only 15/16 (depends on birthday).
LATMC chapter 6 . 6/1/2005
OMG the hat is talking! Is that the Sorting Hat? I'll bet it is and Harry just didn't recognize it! The parts with Hedwig and the elves were classic, probably my favorite part! Keep it up!
1,556 | « Prev Page 1 .. 91 98 99 100 101 102 103 .. Last Next »