Reviews for Sleeping Beauty
meriland25 chapter 1 . 3/7/2013
I love ti,I actually love the 2nd person perspective, and the idea is original and beautifull written. Amazing work,trully touching
Amelia chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
I don't know why this has only received ten reviews (I don't count the rambly one about Muhammad). It is truly a hidden gem. I have counted this as one of my favorites for half a decade and it never loses its surreal feel of dusty magical tomes. It *feels* like an old fairy tale. Beautifully done.

-Amelia (but secretly M. Newman, as I couldn't write another review. I think they should let you once seven years have lapsed.)
CutewithAcapital-Q chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
I kinda liked the 2nd person, I guess becuase I do feel that way when I read books and fariytales. Very nice insight to Hermione's character.
Bagge chapter 1 . 5/2/2006
Warm and beautiful and incredibly sad. The second-person view wsa well done, and young Hermione was very well described. I can't help but feel that it was just a night like this when the owl came, and the magic turned real.
silver chapter 1 . 3/5/2006
i rather like this one...

fairy tales have always been a soft spot for me.

nicely done with a touch of depth.
The White Lily chapter 1 . 12/25/2005
You made me cry. And the reason is, you just described my childhood down to the very names the other kids called me, down to the stories I loved, the late nights, the way I felt about getting lost in a fantasy world that wasn't my real life. I've always identified with Hermione, but never more than at this moment.

Thank you for writing this.
Nelja chapter 1 . 8/10/2005
I love this fic. Very interesting take on what must be the live of a rational person, who fels attracted to the world of magic. And it's also sad and beautiful.
q.thews chapter 1 . 7/31/2005
Only one word: beautiful!

And sometimes i think: is not that somone of us hp fanfic readers are reading this for the same reason ?

Ouch, only that i am not a little ten year girl! :-)

Bye!
Faisez chapter 1 . 6/22/2005
Shivers.

Excellent job.
M. Newman chapter 1 . 4/6/2005
I very much liked this story. It would explain Hermione's insecurity. Anyway, I loved this.

A. Kincaid
Monday chapter 1 . 4/5/2005
Wow this is a great one shot. i personally really like second person perspective if they're written well. which yours is
Arkeus chapter 1 . 4/5/2005
Cute and oh so true. Hermione power!
Muhammad chapter 1 . 4/5/2005
Wasn't Muhammad a strong family man, having a special affinity for children?

Already, when Aisha (the daughter of Abu Bakr, Mohammad's closest friend and unquestioning ally) was about 4-5 years old Muhammad started (wet) dreaming of a union with her [Ref: SAHIH BUKHARI, 5:235] and he wasted no time in realizing his dreams, inspite of the fact that object of his dreams was a mere child. Perhaps you want to assume that it is "normal" for a 50 year old man to dream of marrying a 4-5 old child, and then ACTUALLY ask for her hand at 6?

Is it normal for an oversexed old man (Muhammad had over 9 wives and concubines) to dream of a union with a 4-5 year old girl?

Muhammad (SAW ) was basically oversexed, his sexual relationship with Aisha is a special case, which fits his strong need for a larger latitude (and a smaller hole) to satisfy his sexual urge, as is witnessed by:

"The Prophet used to visit all his wives in a round, during the day and night and they were eleven in number." I asked Anas, "Had the Prophet the strength for it?" Anas replied, "We used to say that the Prophet was given the strength of thirty (men)." And Sa'id said on the authority of Qatada that Anas had told him about nine wives only (not eleven)." [Bukhari.1:268]

When she was 6, Muhammad asked Abu Bakr, Aisha's father, for her hand. Abu Bakr thought it was improper, because, as he said "I am your brother"; Muhammad brushed aside Abu Bakr's reservation by saying that it was perfectly lawful for him to marry Aisha [ Ref: SAHIH BUKHAR I7:18].

...So, Aisha was betrothed to Muhammad, and 3 years later, i.e. when Aisha was 9, the marriage was consummated. And Muhammad was 53 then [SAHIH BUKHARI 5:236,7:64,7:65,7:88] .

The 3 year waiting period probably had to do with the fact that at that time Aisha had contracted some disease, whereby she, temporarily lost her hair. Aisha was then socially and psychologically still a child as is evidenced by the fact that she was still given to her toys, she was unaware of what was happening around her, and her playmates behave as would the children at present times [Sahih Bukhari 8:151,5:234].

Aisha became Muhammad's favourite wife. And the sexuality in the relationship was predominant [ SAHIH BUKHARI .1.270, 3:36, 7:6, 3:148, 3:149, 3:150, 7:142, IbnSa'd 1pg165 ]. Later, Aisha was to be called the "mother of believers".

Why has Muhammad occasionally fallen victim to porcine metaphors?

While I am not an expert on swine, I usually can directly read the character of behavior and events to see the pig for what he is, freeing my view from the distortions of ideology - a grasp of reality that Jewish leftists driven by their distorting doctrinal obsessions find impossible.

As one Jewish sage observed, "pigs are fine but the Most Holy Blessed Be He has forbidden them to Jews." The fact is that harmless pigs do get a bad press because they can be characteristically seen to happily wallow in abominable conditions - like in feces riddled mud with its offensive odors - hence the useful use of "pig" as metaphor.

The Koran tells how Mohammed made a peace treaty with the Jews of a certain city in the Arabian peninsula. But within two years, he found a pretext to suddenly break the treaty, attack his surprised victims, and then behead all the Jewish men in the public square.

Mohammed's tactic is held up by the Muslim Arabs as a hallowed model. It is enshrined in Muslim legal practice which has it that Muslims are not obligated for long to honor peace treaties with non Muslims - infidels.

What effect did Muhammad have on the ethics of his followers?

"Of any moralising or demoralising effect that Muhammad's teaching had upon his followers we cannot say with precision. When he was at the head of the Robber community, it is probable that the demoralising influence began to be felt; it was then that men who had never broken an oath learnt that they might evade their obligations, and that men to whom the blood of their clan had been as their own, began to shed it with impunity in the "cause of god". And that lying and treachery in the cause of Islam received divine approval. It was then too that Moslems became distinguished by the obscenity of their language. It was then too, that the coveting

of goods and wives possessed by Non-muslims was avowed without discouragement from the Prophet..."