Reviews for Legacy of the Chimera
Lionhearte1 chapter 44 . 8/19/2013
Dude, you are one he'll of an amazing writer, I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the story and not been able to put it down (much to my girlfriend's annoyance!) The detail surrounding each character has been so deep, and yet so logical and believable, something rarely seen in many books these days. I love the chapters, with just the right amount of length and, again, the detail.

Great job, I sincerely hope to read more of your work someday. I do, in fact, have an idea for a fantasy/military story for which I'm looking for a ghost writer...

Great work and best of luck in the Marine Corps!

(former British Army)
Lionhearte1 chapter 1 . 8/12/2013
Alucard Dracula spelt backwards? Interesting...
Zion0078 chapter 25 . 5/31/2013
hey peptuck, ive been a big fan of you for a very long time now. Im just wondering, do you have any plans in using Lex in another story? I like the character
Wintermoth chapter 40 . 8/19/2012
I'm down in the diner in the basement of my dorm complex.

"Fo' shizzle, my nizzle."

I damn near sprayed my screen with my apple juice. As it was, I cough/choked and everyone within a three table radius was staring at me. Thank you.
Wintermoth chapter 37 . 8/19/2012
Wintermoth chapter 32 . 8/19/2012
The Chimera. It's Squall, isn't it?

And if it's not, I know he's not really dead. I know because no one ever really kills Squall (or Rinoa...) and gets away with it in fanfiction, unless it's a one-shot focusing on that. Any other time it's done, readers revolt and bombard the poor bastard of an author with hate, rage, flames, tomatoes, and they might even unleash fanpoodles.
Wintermoth chapter 20 . 8/18/2012
...fucking Star Wars quotes... Right on, mate, right on...

Though, I need to address something. You're good with action and plot, but your character development is...lacking. There is a lack of sufficient characterization that is required for the reader to better understand and bond with the people in the story - even the bad ones. I can barely tell Squall and Rinoa are in love/a Sorceress and Knight. I can't really bring myself to care about Serra or Nash - or hell, Illarra. I know some of this is for the sake of mystery, but there is a difference between alienating your reader and keeping them in the dark. And this Veronica chick? Who dafaq is she? Where did she come from? Why hasn't there been a peep outta her?

I know it's a little late to point this stuff out, but keep it mind. You did fine with the Gunblade Saga, but you had the Game to guide you. Here you're on your own and there's nothing as solid and unalterable as the game making you do some character development. Those mindfuck bombs? Yeah, they hit, but not as much as they would've if there had been more depth up until this point.
Wintermoth chapter 10 . 8/18/2012
Well, that bitch is offically fucked :D
codellmarie chapter 44 . 11/18/2011
Over the last couple of weeks I have read through the entire Gunblade stories. I loved it. In Gunblade, I love how you closed all the plot holes in the the FFVIII game. And the way you did the battles was EPIC. Not just in Gunblade, but the whole story line. The only problem I had with your story line at all was just that one peace where Rinoa said that she was going to kill herself and the whole depression there. I see Rinoa as a much stronger character then that. I also really loving the agusy stuff at the beginning of the story. This story made me laugh, cry (when Squill "died"), and literally jump out of my set to cheer (when the two Squill's were running down the street together). I just can't get this story enough praise. If a VIII-2 two was ever made I would hope that they use your story line.
Unlisshed chapter 3 . 3/1/2011
And here I thought that Captain Reynolds was a shout out to Firefly. I got quite the kick out of that!
the Prince's Jewel chapter 25 . 1/9/2010
Ah, I can't take it any more!

The story itself is excellent, but I swear you wrote it with a broken keyboard and never bothered to do a final proof.

Though, the boy parts fountaining through the air after the mines went off sent me into a convulsive giggle fit.

It took a bit longer to realize the smoke was back smoke, not black smoke. I'm none to sure I ever want to see back smoke. Sounds particularly icky. Same sentence, in a particularly descriptive paragraph. It stood out in memory - but such errors are unfortunately typical throughout the reading.
BlackxValentine chapter 37 . 11/14/2009
No what's wrong with Selphie!

must keep reading!
BlackxValentine chapter 14 . 11/14/2009
Love this but i hate the way Odine talks... even in the game I hated the way he talked. it's so hard to figure out what he's saying sometimes! XP

but amazing chapter!

Poor Irvy and Selphie...
Shadow Chaser chapter 44 . 2/24/2009
Well, like I promised, I have read and am now ready to review your first fandom foray into FF8 (barring the Gunblade Saga). Since this story was divided up into 2 parts, I will review both parts in two separate paragraphs.

Blood - Overall, a solid outline, beginning, middle, and resolution (including the little nasty cliffhanger you left us with). I liked the characterizations and the development of the characters, especially some of the villains and extraneous allies.

However, there is one villain I did not like and it was Ilarra. I know her method of revenge against Squall was to make his life a living hell (which btw, was executed beautifully in the beginning chapters), but when she started to explain her reasons, her character seemed to fall completely apart. I was reading and then was like: just because she had a hellish life and wanted to kill golden boy for having such a good life? WTF? I thought you could have done better to flesh out her true motivations and perhaps give an extra twist to this story (hell by that point I was expecting that she was actually Raine all dug up and twisted and zombiefied).

There is one ally I really liked and your subsequent development of said character in both parts. Nash - the time compression thing and his back history and everything in between. I can see where you drew on "The Orphan" and "The Omega" from. Heh. Nice touch...

Another thing I was a bit ambiguous about was Squall turning into an Elemental. I almost stopped right then and there because at that point, so many characters were getting so many "power ups" and getting stronger and stronger I was losing your fanfic to the masses of magic, battles, and felt your overall storyline was beginning undercut into the action. At that point, I felt that you had lost some of what made FF8, FF8 - the love story and the characters and their motivations. If you really want to look at it, the third act of the first part was just all action and barely anymore plot.

Legacy - Beginning a little weak, especially turning SeeD into a counter insurgency force? They're mercs, they are hired to anyone. This part aside from the machinations of our villains, Hyne and Hades, was probably while writing style, your strong suite, plot line, your weakest. I thought you could have done better to re-introduce Squall/Chimera, and Ilarra/Requiem. I was also left hanging as to where the hell Laguna went. I would have expected as a father, he would have act least acted a bit spare towards Squall's "death" and if not, Rinoa would have probably been suspicious.

I think my favorite chapters of this story is the one where Squall's being forced to attempt to snipe and when he reveals himself as "Chimera" or at least using the name.

Anyways, the ending battle I was seeing something like a cross between Mount Olympus and FF10's final battles. I was imagining hurling opponents and massive power ups. A good visual, but like I said above, it really pushes the limit on what I could stomach from a battle-royale FF8 fic. I know it was the end all be all situation, but seriously...I could have done without everyone like merging with their otherselves (Nash/Ifrit, Squall/Griever, Quistis/Alucard). Speaking of Alucard...the Hellsing reference made me crack up every time. I think you've transplanted him well into this fic.

I do would have liked more introspection and development on the other gods, especially Hyne, Hades, Ramuh (before he "died") and Alucard and perhaps also Griever and his motivations - even though he spelled it out to Squall.

Overall, it is a good venture and I must say I liked Gunblade Saga more than Legacy of the Chimera. It's still going to my favorites. I'll probably look at your latest offerings and hopefully see more improvement in plot development in there. Btw, your visuals/battles, are probably the best I've read in a while. _ Great job with that!
DaughterOfSorceress-Lion chapter 43 . 12/15/2008
I'm crying again. I'm sorry for the harsh words. I'm happy now, and not overtired awake on cafeene. Peptuck is Genius!