Reviews for The Return
Arisa Ashes chapter 1 . 11/7/2019
I love it.
Stella221 chapter 1 . 6/23/2013
OH. I had to sit and digest the ending even though I was guessing that Christine's Angel would prove to be not dead and return to her... only to think later "oh, she's just in denial about another authority figure's death" (both her father and her angel were probably symbols of security)

In the end, making her husband become the angel she wanted, believing him to be Erik returned... I feel sorry for Raoul, the ultimate loser in this, since he won a bride who finds that she actually doesn't want him after all. To realize you've sacrificed so much for a woman who wants another man and in her madness try to make you into him... ouch.
Serpina Silver Tongue chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
Wow, great disturbing fic. Love it.
Clever Lass chapter 1 . 8/29/2005
Oh, creepy! I love it.

Ever-resourceful Christine-trust her to make a way to be faithful to both her lovers at once. LOL.
aeipathy chapter 1 . 6/6/2005
How could I never have noticed this? It's absolutely wonderful, so imaginative and dark - and I'm not sure whether or not I've expressed how much I adore dark fiction. Once again, this is perfect, in every way.
wendela chapter 1 . 5/19/2005
allright...this is beautiful written. Mostly I don't like one-shot story's, but this was great.

But what a horrible bitch Christine is here.

I felt very sorry for Raoul (what a sweety he is!) she deserves no better than a good kick in the ass...probably Erik would share that opinion... after all, for what use is a weakwilled Christine ;-)
Padme Nijiri chapter 1 . 5/3/2005
I read this before doing that lovey chart I told you about. I was blown away by what she did. And yet it makes perfect sense.

I can't think of anything else intelligent to say except good insight and originallity.
Ally612 chapter 1 . 4/12/2005
This deserves a thousand more reviews then it has.

It's astounding, and briliiant, and oh God, you've made me almost love Raoul...
The New Marguerite chapter 1 . 4/12/2005
I ADORE this. Very dark. (I think someone handled this sort of idea in a parody-ish sort of way once, where Christine stuck Raoul's head in a waffle iron.)

I love your Raoul - and the fact that you treated him so well. I feel like he's completely in-character.

Christine, of course, is a crazy. But we all knew that. :)

And you had Mamma Valerius! Major extra special bonus points for that!
ModestySparrow9 chapter 1 . 4/9/2005
I wasn't really sure what to expect when I first started reading this, but I liked it. I thought you did a good job. Is it over then? I thought it had a nice ending line. Very pretty, lol.

Modesty
Ava Caita chapter 1 . 4/9/2005
Oh, I simply adored this entry! Voted for it and everything. You're Raoul and my Raoul should go out and get pissed. The poor boys. The things they have to put up with!

And you write in first person so convincingly. I'm just so happy you entered this contest.

Congrats on your top five placing!

~ Avarië
The Scorpion chapter 1 . 4/8/2005
This story was absolutely one of my favorites in the contest! The images from it stuck with me almost more than any of the others! I especially love your depiction of Raoul. He's so patient, so tender, even a martyr, almost uncharacteristically so... But who's to say that Christine's the only one who would be somewhat out-of-it after the whole ordeal? He tries so hard, but in the end, what good does it ever do? Poor, poor, unhappy Raoul!
All Apologies chapter 1 . 4/8/2005
Wow very dark I liked it
Senna Wales chapter 1 . 4/8/2005
Though Christine's actions in cutting Raoul did not surprise me, this was definitely one of my more favorite phics from the contest. The narration was just very solid and strong overall, characterization as well. I love nice!Raoul, because Raoul is nice and kind-hearted and decent and all those things. :) He would so become a wood-cutter for Christine. :) Mamma Valerius especially added to the eerie tone in this phic. I like. :)
phantomy-cookies chapter 1 . 4/7/2005
Mwa ha ha ha! The Children of Morbidity have come at last! Woo hoo!

Marie, I LOVED your story. It was my #2! You painted me a picture so vivid... so horrible... I must have read your story a dozen times over just to SAVOR its gruesome flavor. (Well, a slight exaggeration, but you get my point.)

*wink and grin*

I think what I loved the most is that all of your characters MADE it come alive. Christine is withdrawn and disturbing, yet also seems cloaked in that endless little bit of 'harmless' innocence. Like, for example, I can almost hear that sweet, questioning little voice of hers when she asks Raoul...“Are you going to leave me?”

Woosh!

Raoul, in all of his goodness, is sadly the hopeless victim in all of this. I don't think I've ever read a story that made me feel so sorry for him. His victory in winning Christine's hand has never been more perfectly demonstrated as his defeat. Poor Raoul.

And Mamma Valerius? Heehee.

*shudders*

She was my FAVORITE little bit of madness in all of this. Reading Leroux, I always thought of her as this crazy yet hilarious little woman, and you took those attributes and made her into something completely and utterly horrific. She's a gasping, wretching terror that only epitomizes the tragedy of it all.

This part was the best...

((The old woman’s eyes were wide as she gazed at the horrid, cloth-masked face. She fought him, her fingers reaching for the bandages, tearing them away. I have never heard such a scream! Not even from my own lips! I closed my eyes and begged it to stop. A moment later, the quiet returned, save for Raoul calling her name, gripping her limp body with urgency. His voice was so gentle, so beautiful…so desperate. I smiled at the sound of it, even while watching him press his bare forehead against Mamma’s still form, his body trembling from the sobs.))

That's almost poetry, babe.(Just ask Poe!) LOL.

Bravo, darling! Bravo!