Reviews for On the Psychology of Sherlock Holmes
Dreamsprite5 chapter 2 . 7/13/2005
LOL I'm sure Holmes didn't like women, cause very few of the characters we come across are actaully strong female characters and because of that only two female characters Holmes gave his respect to. I think that women were suppose to be meek and quiet during the Victorian age and Doyle used meek quiet and fairly naive characters in his stories.
Emily chapter 2 . 7/10/2005
I like this. Long have I analyzed this character, but you open up new theories.

:D
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 2 . 7/9/2005
I think you've pointed out something very interesting, and perhaps fodder for another chapter or another story - why DO we all think Holmes is attractive? Or is it that we find certain traits attractive? The strong, slient type, with an unmatched intellecctual intesity and an ethical system that appears to work better than the one entrenched in our society?
Ed-Wood chapter 2 . 7/8/2005
Hey, that was really interesting and insightful.

Whenever I picture what Sherlock Holmes looks like, I usually think of Basil Rathbone from the movies, or Richard Roxbough and Ian Hart as Watson. Nice.

Sorry, that was a bit random. :-)
sapphirestars chapter 1 . 7/6/2005
Having studied a bit of psychology, I'd really like to applaud you. All your conclusions are well founded since I've often thought that Sherlock Holmes was probably bipolar. You provide substantial evidence and I'm glad that you addressed Freud's theories. Personally, I don't buy into most of that but I think modern psychology has made some great achievements.

But you make great point s on why he's so likeable. Upon first meeting him you can't help but like him. And his subsequent faults are excusable because you know he's a good guy.

I don't know whether you are an anime fan but if you are you might want to check out the Detective Conan series, its protagonist is a Sherlock Holmes freak and displays many of the great detectives qualities.
AmazingDancingVegan chapter 1 . 6/22/2005
In the great words of Hermione Granger, "Brilliant!"
Dark Gotham chapter 1 . 6/14/2005
I just love this and I completely agree with you. Sherlock is one of the most complex characters ever created. We seem to forget about his faults because of all the good he does. Yet, it is those faults that make him so much more human and those mundane matters which confuse him. Is another reason why we may adore him. Wonderfully stated I love this insight on him.
Mysterywriter221 chapter 1 . 6/12/2005
Thanks for the review! Holmes being out of character will be explained in the next chapter. The men being so accepting of her will also be explained. Lestrade was helping Miss Carter lift the trunk, not the other way around. Miss Carter isn't an ordinary woman.
Mizamour chapter 1 . 6/1/2005
Awesome! Wow, this is great! I really love this, and your insights...I love psychology, and this is awesome. So interesting and makes sense! This is definitely on my favorite story list.
Eloquentlyspeechless chapter 1 . 5/13/2005
An excellent analysis of Holmes's character. There's not much more I can say on the subject of his psyche-my knowledge of the subject is abysmal, and your points are thoughtful, complete, and well supported. *wink* Props to you.

Well...I don't know if you'll find it particularly interesting or insightful, but what I can do to back up your commentary is explain exactly what drew me to Holmes in the first place. It's so very hard to explain what makes that eccentric detective appealing. I'm perhaps the odd case, however, I was in love with the idea of Sherlock Holmes long before I read any of the stories. I knew he was observant, brilliant, somewhat eccentric, and had a faithful sidekick named Watson. As a former Nancy Drew devotee, I was instantly drawn to any and all detectives, with their romantic profession-clues and hunches and the inevitable triumph of good over evil through quick wit and good luck.

My first Holmes story- "The Dying Detective," written in play form in my English textbook, was what got me addicted for good and all. His first impression, in that story, is arguably dismal. He is ill, weak-looking, stubborn, and snaps at Watson. (That's not to say I disagree with your logic; quite the contrary!) Yet, despite this un-promising first impression, I continued reading, sympathetic to the ill Holmes and the concerned Dr. Watson. By the end-worried for Holmes, and fearful that I'd inadvertantly read the last tale of a great saga first-there were tears in my eyes. These only heightened the effect when, at the very last moment, Holmes pulled off the remarkable stunt. Everything is instantly clear. He is, indeed, quite strong in both character and body, to orchestrate and carry out that fast. He is clearly good, just having captured a dangerous criminal. And he is both active and warm, when he offers a his apologies to Watson and explains why the deceit was necessary, before rising quickly for lunch.

Although I fear this is reaching an obscene length, your essay was so insightful that it got me thinking on several points. As you mentioned, Holmes's eccentricity adds to his appeal for many, me included. His talent in a wide variety of unusual fields seems to be an outgroeth of his brilliance. To draw a parallel into my most familiar realm-Harry Potter-he seems somewhat like Snape. Although Snape is negatively portrayed by Harry's POV, he is also intelligent, observant, has some degree of temper, and an extremely complex character, with a background shrouded in mystery. I only say this because I like Snape as well-though I view him without the admiration and affection I feel for Holmes.

But I digress. I do a lot of digressing these days, it seems...tendency to babble, you know. Anyway, your thoughts made me think, which I think makes them good thoughts. Great work in getting out ideas that I didn't even know were in my head more clearly than I ever could have.

PS- And, from your profile, I see you are a fellow George Carlin quoter? My pet quote is: "Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."
Dreamsprite5 chapter 1 . 4/30/2005
LOL I never really liked Freud. But I'm curious as to what he would have to say about Holmes becoming a bee keeper. Bipolar disease makes a lot of sense. I definatly agree that if we had been introduced to Holmes in one of his black moods we would have imediatly disliked him.

Something interesting to point out. A reason why girls (or the ones on fanfiction. me included LOL) are so taken with Holmes is becuase they think he is playing hard to get by "pretending" to hate women. It's a challenge to figure out what makes him tick. The one major success (or failing depending on how you look at it) of Connan Doyle's stories is the utter lack of backgourd information that we have about him. We don't know what made Holmes the way he was. We don't know what his family life was like. It makes Holmes a mystery that people want to solve.
adlersdaughter chapter 1 . 4/16/2005
You've made some really good points here. I enjoyed reading this!
HouAreYouToday chapter 1 . 4/16/2005
I had originally wrote a much longer review for this (until somehow I hit a button on my computer that closed the window, damnit!). But here's the gist of it: I really enjoy pieces like this, in that really explores the characterization aspect of the Holmes stories. The issue of Holmes being bipolar is well presented here; medically speaking, I wonder, if it's possible for one to change his mood so drastically by will, as I'm not sure that is the case for most people with manic depressive. Unlike Holmes, who can lift himself out of a mood with the promise of a case, most people with bipolar only trigger their manic episodes by not taking their meds, which subsequently leads to them reverting to their cyclic mood swings. Anyway, just a thought...

A very nice analysis, I must say, in your particular attention to detail/evidence to back up your arguments. Again, a fabulous job.

I also wanted to note that your reviews have been very much appreciated, particularly in that you offer a much deeper analysis to most stories than most readers do- so thank you very much!
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 1 . 4/15/2005
Thanks for the reference; I shall try to track that book down, it sounds utterly fascinating... My email, for future reference, is as above, or you can click on the link in my profile.
georgie d chapter 1 . 4/12/2005
Ep! I loved this! I really agreed with a lot of what you said. The Freudian interpretations of Holmes's behavior are, at best, hypotheses and I'm glad you acknowledged that. It seems that a lot of people link Holmes and Freud because of "The Seven-Percent Solution." Anyway, I wanted to ask if I could cite your work in some of my psych papers.

Loved the piece!