Reviews for On the Psychology of Sherlock Holmes
The Sometime Scribbler chapter 1 . 4/11/2005
That was interesting! I mean that in the most positive way you can imagine. I really agreed with the stereotypes althought I don't know that it was particularly peculiar not to describe characters when writing at the turn of the century. The old one that is. Some people have actually called Holmes 2-dimensional and I suspect that it is partially because people can add their own 3rd dimension if you will that he is so well-loved. As to the disorders, sometimes I wonder if our society is disorder-happy. I kind of like a lot of Holmes' quirks. And really, doesn't everybody have their faults that we must learn to put up with when we care about someone? I think it is partially because Holmes has faults that he can remain realistic while being 2-dimensional. I seem to have lost my train of thought. Oh well, enjoyed the essay. Quite fun.
kiwi fruit or bird chapter 1 . 4/11/2005
This is an interesting article. Using psychology to study the character of Sherlock Holmes. Even though I'm not entirely exposed to the field of psychology, this still one of the subjects I would like to study, if I had the chance to do so. It clearly explains the reasons and origins for the traits of Holmes. I have to agree on how he got to be interested in criminology through his childhood. It's a really good piece of research and study I would like to compliment upon. Well... I guess that's all I have to say.
Anozira chapter 1 . 4/10/2005
You have put into words what I've thought since I first read the stories. Funny, we actually just finished discussing Bipolar disorder in abnormal psycology, and in my notes I wrote "sherlock holmes?" in the margins. Yes, I think it is very possible, even probable that he was bipolar from the evidence Doyle gives us in the stories.

As to why he is so charismatic, I agree with you there as well, with one added point. Holmes is quickly made to be the undisputed hero of the stories. He is brilliant, just, even super-strong (he bends an iron poker at one point). We as the readers are more willing to put up with his bad habits because we want him to be a superhero, and superheroes are good, likeable people.
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 1 . 4/10/2005
Aren't monographs fun?

I like your exegisis of Study in Scarlet. I think that is remarkably apt. And I have often wondered why Holmes suddenly retired, at a fairly young age - surely it can't have just been the rheumatism, or a fascination for bees? It would be interesting to speculate just what constituted self-actualisation for him.

However, I think you contradict yourself a bit at the very end by saying he was indestructible and a natural superhero. You spent all the previous paragraphs pointing out his flaws!

Finally, what's this theory about Holmes coming back to get out of debt? Could you point me to a source? It sounds interesting...
mierin-lanfear chapter 1 . 4/10/2005
You presented fresh, salient points in Holmes character (or personality). When you mentioned he possibly had bipolar disorder, it was a surprise - the symptoms dovetail his behavior - that no one suggested it before. But then again, Doyle's description of the character treads the thin line between the vague and the specific; this may have been his way of keeping Holmes as a fictional entity: to give out complete info about his background is to lift the veil of mystery which surrounds him.
Mariana chapter 1 . 4/10/2005
Hey

I don't know if you remember me, but I already rewiew one of your fanfictions.

I've just read "On the Psychology of S.H.", and I think that it is very interesting. I liked very much! I think that this kind of studies are very helpful to understand the personality of the character, mostly if we are talking about Holmes, which is such an interesting character. Anyway, I think that it is very interesting. Keep writing. And I'm sorry if I couldn't express myself properly. English isn't my home language
36 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3