Reviews for Colder than Ice
Thomson chapter 3 . 10/10/2010
That was really good! Nice job!
SeasideFantasy chapter 3 . 8/3/2010
Gosh... all I can say is I love it! Great job, really. The world needs more Iroh Zuko bonding story like this. 3
fourfourfourfour chapter 3 . 1/4/2008
i thought that you had a very clever story plot going, and it had several very touching moments. the only thing is that you should explain things some more, or maybe write a squal or prequel! that might be fun :D
Lady Juse chapter 1 . 12/16/2007
Whoa! Awsome!
Big Man Bryan chapter 3 . 12/14/2007
My rating (out of four): one-and-a-half stars

Who was this fanfiction written for? It’s not clear or engrossing enough to be entertainment, but “Colder Than Ice” is such a confusing enterprise that literary debate is out of the question. When I was done reading, most of the many questions I had were those that should’ve been answered by the author.

The story revolves around Zuko and his Fire Nation soldiers trespassing on a man named Lord Liam’s territory. Liam believes he and his people are stronger than Zuko’s army, which prompts him to propose a challenge: if Zuko’s men can defeat Liam’s men, who are comprised of invisible flying figures, then Zuko can go freely. If he doesn’t, Liam can do whatever he wants to do him. No prizes for guessing who wins.

Now my questions: 1) who’s Lord Liam; 2) what purpose does he have for existing; 3) why is his island and castle found on Fire Nation territory but is not acknowledged; 4) is Lord Liam an exiled Fire Nation citizen; 5) is he even a Fire Nation citizen at all, etc. etc.? The fanfiction answers none question, and that presents a major handicap to any story: without an understanding of the villain, what reason is there to wish him dead? To be fair, Liam isn’t a very nice guy, but what do you expect from an old man who lives alone with invisible people in a castle on an island that’s probably older than he is? Pure evil can only take a story so far.

Now about those invisible people: 1) what or who are they; 2) what is their purpose; 3) why are they invisible; 4) does the yellow glow around mean they’re Firebenders; 5) if so, why don’t they ever bend fire? We know they are solid, living beings because at one point Zuko cuts one of them with an axe, spilling blood everywhere, and making the thing’s invisibility turn on and off. It’s neat imagery, but it raises more questions: 1) does being injured in anyway make these creatures lose their invisibility, which means if they die, you can see their bodies? 2) If so, then why during the climatic battle do Zuko’s men kill (if they do indeed kill anything) them and yet they stay invisible? 3) And why is there no blood visible during that scene?

Did I miss something? Did Iroh know the answers to these questions? Did the author?

The pacing doesn’t help at all; the story flies by a little too quickly, leaving no time for an explanation. (If it did, I am sure it would have taken a very long time.)

“Colder Than Ice” does do some things right, though. The grammar is exceptional, and Zuko and Iroh have good moments. In a touching moment completely irrelevant to the plot, they acknowledge that they may just have a good “father/son” relationship.

I don’t quite know how to sum up this fanfiction. It all seems extremely pointless because I was neither compelled nor entertained. The author takes pride in the fact that he/she’d written is just a Zuko story, not a Zuko and Katara one.

I wish he/she’d written a good story, not a strange and confusing one.
storm-of-insanity chapter 3 . 4/16/2006
good ideas. and you write with skill but i think the invisible warriors were a bit wierd and basicly the whole plot could have done with a lot more explanation. but i like the fact that it's just zuko and iroh and has NO ROMANCE.
Twilight Dragoness chapter 3 . 1/15/2006
Wow...I usually get bored with things even this long, but this kept my attention the whole way! Awesome! *huggles Zuko*
Not-writing-fanfic-Anymore88 chapter 1 . 11/20/2005
I LOVE YOUR FIC !

Zuko is my favorite character and Iroh is so funny !:

Soory, it's a very short review, but I am French and my English is not very good.
TitanDragonfire chapter 3 . 6/11/2005
O.O...AWESOME! Wonderful job!
TheUsedInk chapter 3 . 5/7/2005
Wow, great story! Again, I can trust it not to be stupid. I agree with bluedragonstarheart on Detours-but the story had a good, reliable ending. I'm glad you published this for us to enjoy. _
bluedragonstarheart chapter 3 . 5/5/2005
Your ending it there? Continue please, what are the homework evading teens going to read if you don't? Yours is the best I've found so far, challenged only by Detours, which ended sadly. keep up the next story with them on the island with another enemy, but this time, try a little yaoi, it would work well. Email me if your absolutly clueless about that (any of you) later days~

-bluedragonstarheart
Shoy of the Fire Nation chapter 3 . 5/4/2005
OMG! Sorry, but that was on of the best ones I've read! I would love to read the other things you've written, but I am afraid they might not be the same. Anyways, I am hoping to read more of your pieces!
theKRITIC chapter 3 . 5/4/2005
Very good. Aw...Anyway, great job.
TheUsedInk chapter 2 . 4/19/2005
Thanks for thanking me. I really think both chapters are great, and I'm SO glad they don't have romance in them again-because I can't seem to escape it otherwise.
bluedragonstarheart chapter 2 . 4/17/2005
Another wonderful chapter. I commend you. PLEASE have the next update soon, your on your way to greatness. Later days~

-bluedragonstarheart