Reviews for Thoughts of the Children
icehizzari chapter 9 . 12/7/2009
Y'know, I wouldn't have minded if Davis hadn't totally gotten over his crush... but that's just me...

However, this was a really great chapter overall! What I've really yearned for recently is a 'totally balanced' and 'completely unbiased' fanfic, and though these *thoughts* may not exactly fit that, they're probably as close as I'm going to come. What I mean by 'unbiased' is this: It contains no character-bashing, and if there is any 'shipping, it's done fairly, in-character, with a lot of uncertainty... in other words, you need to be able to imagine it as an episode!

Thanks so much-you should keep writing a fic with this perspective!
icehizzari chapter 3 . 12/7/2009
This chapter's good, but I've gotta' ask the obvious question... why didn't Sora at least mention the name 'Tai'? Didn't he save her life numerous times? If T. K. and Joe are mentioned, you have to wonder... LOL!
Evenstar606 chapter 15 . 7/11/2008
These are really cool; we never got to learn much about Michael from the show, so this helps me get an idea to what he may have been like. Also, I noticed that you have his last name as Washington. I was looking through some fanfiction notes of mine the other day from nearly two years ago, and I saw that I had his last name as Washington. I thought I was going nuts until I read this story-I must have found it somewhere (before, I just had a made up last name for him, lol)

Sorry for such a rambling review. But I took the time to read your profile, and I have to say, your Fanfiction Writing Tips really made sense to me. I'm working on a stoy right now that 'may or may not' be construed as character bashing..I'm not sure. It is based on personal experiences of family members that we either got a laugh out of, or were just weird. Would you mind taking a look at it for me and letting me know what you think? It's called "The Genius' (also an inside joke between cousins) Wow, I guess I should have done this in a PM-sorry!

But really, this story is pretty insightful!
Arek the Absolute chapter 7 . 5/31/2008
I think I'll get my only criticism for this chapter out of the way quickly: the wording is a bit awkward at times. Smoothing out some of the rough spots would make this chapter flow more naturally.

Now then, on to my favorite part. This chapter drives right at what I believe to be both TK's greatest strength and his principle flaw. That being his emotional intensity. He is undoubtedly the most emotionally expressive of any character in the series. When things are good you can see it in his every action and here it in the music of his voice. When he's got something to be sad about, calling him a crybaby would be an understatement (particularly in 01.) When he's angry he makes sure that everyone knows it-whether that means breaking Ken's nose or ruthlessly pursuing BlackWargreymon. I couldn't keep track of how many times you describe TK's shifting mood, and that is absolutely true to the character.

I think that's the thing people don't really recognize very often. TK is generally regarded to be a happy-go-lucky character, and his more melancholy or violent are perceived as being out-of-character, but that's simply not true. When viewed from a broader perspective, his shifting moods make perfect sense. TK's emotional volatility, while not confronted directly here, comes through loud and clear; you also correctly identify its source as lying within the dysfunction of his family. I do find it interesting how he and Matt respond so differently to the same situation, with TK becoming so emotionally expressive and Matt bottling his emotions up.

It was also nice seeing some attention paid to the relationship between TK, Davis and Kari, and it was even nicer to see it being addressed from a non-standard perspective. I'm not sure, though, if you gave full credence to the complexity there, for while TK may think of Kari as just a good friend, there are very complex emotions at work which I think is what inevitably cripples TK's potential romantic interests. Being as emotionally expressive as he is, he finds it almost impossible to comprehend, much less act on, his complicated feelings on the matter. That being said, it is by no means necessary to go into further detail since the main focus of this chapter is TK's thoughts as an individual, and addressing his friendships would quite probably confuse the matter.
Arek the Absolute chapter 13 . 5/25/2008
I liked this chapter mostly because of the challenge involved. These chapters require an intimate understanding of the character's psyche, and unlike most of the other DigiDestined you work with, Willis is given very little screen time. As such you have to base your entire understanding of him on what I believe amounts to less than thirty minutes of actual source material.

I think I liked how you did a bit of reaching with him, such as when you describe his reaction to his father's death, which is never expressly mentioned or even necessarily canoncical but must be considered as a possibility given the aforementioned slim source material. To be honest I wouldn't mind if you had done a little more reaching, perhaps extending things to events following his brief meeting with the other DigiDestined. Perhaps this analysis could give us some more insight into his future outlook than we were given in the movie.

Speaking of the movie, it's fair to assume that many of the people who are reading this chapter know who Willis is and at least the basic plot of the movie. As such, it may not be necessary to go into as much detail on the plot as you do, though the play-by-play does give us a view of Willis' thoughts at each turn. I'd hesitate to recommend cutting back a bit on the plot summary because it serves a narrative purpose here, but at the same time I worry that it may somewhat overwhelm what we're here to really hear about: Willis' mindset. As a compromise, it might be interesting to go into more detail on his feelings during the events or, as I mention above, give the reader something more of a follow-up to these events as extrapolated from the canon (which I believe you're working hard to prserve here.) I'm not sure it would work, but it might be something to play around with should you get a chance.

In any case, I can say that I did enjoy this piece. Characters like Willis can be difficult to interpret, so it's always good to get a read on what another writer thinks of them.
Arek the Absolute chapter 9 . 5/23/2008
This chapter delivers very well on what the title promises: thoughts. I think you have really done an excellent job of capturing Davis' inner feelings here. I agree with you that he's frequently misunderstood, so it was refreshing to see him given a little more credit for once.

Personally, I think Davis' biggest problem is with communication. He's not very good at expressing himself for whatever reason. I really don't think it's a lack of confidence, but he definitely has a hard time finding the right words or organizing his thoughts. This is something that did not come across here. In this chapter, Davis communicates extremely effectively, and that's fine if you're working from the mindset that this is an expression of his inner thought processes rather than something he would ever say out loud, even to himself. Not to put him down, but I have a hard time imagining Davis using the word 'concurrent'.

One thing I did notice here is that he seems to be down on stubbornness, and I don't think that's entirely true to the character. Davis' stubbornness-or as I prefer to think of it, his tenacity-is one of his most endearing and enduring qualities as a character. You'll get no argument from me that his resistance to MaloMyotismon was based on his happiness with himself, but you are suggesting here that this happiness stems from an almost Buddhist acceptance of his situation and contentment therewith at the cost of his tenacity. Personally, I suspect that it is that very tenacity that helped Davis to endure MaloMyotismon's illusion. He is happy with himself in spite of his constant striving for things that seem impossible. His happiness, I believe upon reflection, has to do with his optimism that tomorrow will always be a better day, and that he can always achieve what he sets his mind to as long as he keeps trying. At least that's how I suspect he feels, based on my admittedly fuzzy recollection of the series.
Broken Angel01 chapter 16 . 8/16/2007
When did you update this without me noticing? Shame on you! Actually, it's my fault, I really should pay attention to my author alert list, but clearly I don't.

Anyways, I thought this was a very good chapter and there was a lot of detail in it. Maria was one of those characters that I think a lot of people tended to forget about, but you really made her stand out by showing us glimpses of her personality as you saw it.

I thought what you wrote fit her really well, and I will pay attention to updates from now on! *winks*
LittleFirefly44 chapter 3 . 12/7/2006
That sounds right with what happened with Sora and how she handled it, also in-tune. I'm really enjoying this. I have enjoyed the first two chapters as well and I'm sure will enjoy the rest of them.
Hyou chapter 5 . 12/8/2005
Jesus Christ, man! it took forever just to scroll down to the stories x.x" but i have to say, this material is pretty well done, mind, it might seem a bit short, but its sweet and to the point. not like books im reading where people always have to enter long and elaborate stories just before they even brush the surface of the topic they want to talk about and take even longer to get to what they want.

anyway, i was just brushing by.

and perchance are you the same Dark Qiviut that reviewed for Rebirth? just wondering

~Ja Ne
Crimson G chapter 15 . 11/18/2005
Hey dude. I enjoyed reading these chapters and showed how the digidestine felt, especially Davis's since people always misunderstand him. Keep up the good work buddy and all I can say is that your awesome.
Princessstphanie chapter 7 . 10/15/2005
lol NO! I could never forget this fic! lol, I just figured that well since u had so many reviewers now u wouldnt notice.. i did read the chaps. i just didnt review! Sorry!
Nonamenonamenonameplease chapter 15 . 10/14/2005
Hello again, Dark Qiviut. Sorry I couldn't submit this review sooner; I've been EXTREMELY busy with college and writing stories for other shows. Once again, you've outdone yourself in the originality department: Amoebamon and Algaemon, huh? Plus, Michael's life story...well, words can't describe it. You hoped I would continue to RR, and now I have and still will (hey, that rhymed).

Say, was I really the first person to ask you the meaning of your penname?
Broken Angel01 chapter 15 . 10/4/2005
That was so cute. Michael was one of my favorite lesser characters, next to Willis.

I also liked the idea of him being a spoiled brat! That was funny. Hey, he turned out to be a sweetheart in the end!

I like this side of Michael. It's different, and again I like how you filled in the gaps about his backround.

Who's going to take the stage next?
GemmaniGirl chapter 15 . 10/4/2005
Actually you probably hit the nail on the head. Always had a feeling Michael was selfish at one point in his life. You always do awesome interpretations on the digidestin
Dr.D76567 chapter 15 . 10/4/2005
Great story, Dark Qivit! I just read the whole thing today and it's great to hear what the digidestined's thoughts might have been before, during and after the events.

Anyway, awesome project! Can't wait till next time!