Reviews for An Unforeseen Occurrence
Hermione Holmes chapter 3 . 4/25/2005
Fabulous, long, detailed chapter. The imagery and nuances of the characters and the situation were amazing- they really held my attention and gave me more of a feel for the story. The scene with Watson kissing Mary was especially well done- the Victorians weren't nearly as prudish as we think- not in private at least. And the foreshadowing bit with Watson and Mary saying they want a large family was a nice, though sad, touch, seeing as how that didn't happen. I especially liked the description of Holmes at the ball- hmm, wonder why_ And, this is just a rhetorical question, but how are we not supposed to infer some romance with all these hints? Not that it's a bad thing- definitely not. It's hard to find descriptions of Holmes that make him attractive in an intelligent way, so great job on that. And with Helen liking him the way she does, it was very well written. I think I'm (finally) seeing a trend in these chapters- Holmes feels guilt over the previous case, Helen tries to assuage him, and Holmes reacts to that according to his mood- or something like that. Anyway, this was an excellent chapter- probably the best so far, in that it blends romance and realism so well. Actually, that goes for the whole story- but, anyway, ignore my mindless ramblings and please update soon!
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 3 . 4/24/2005
A wonderful chapter. Your descriptions are so vivid and warm!
Lady Razorsharp chapter 3 . 4/24/2005
This was exquisite, lovely, gemlike. Watson and Mary are so cute together (and whoo, stealing a kiss-Watson, you dog! ~_ that was hawt!). And Oh, my goodness, Holmes in his white tie is just so sigh-worthy...When you mentioned dancing I was hoping he would take Helen out on the floor, but he was saved by the fact that she's in mourning...

Your description is lovely; I could totally see Holmes hiding behind the tree and hoping to disappear (lighting his cigarette from a candle on the tree-personally I don't approve of smoking but the picture this made was very vivid and somehow poignant). His discussion with Helen seems genuine and flows nicely. If he seems a bit too eager to talk with her, I suppose it comes from being bored to tears and also wanting to appear amiable out of respect for Helen, Watson and Mary. It's sheer relief and maybe a bit of social anxiety that makes him so chatty. Helen is as witty as ever, doing her dance of politeness. You go girl! _

The last image of Holmes in the snow is beautiful; that fleeting smile, that steady gaze, and the slow flourish of his hat. Ah, ah, ah. Fangirls everywhere, rejoice! An early Christmas present! ~_
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 2 . 4/21/2005
I'm not sure you needed to put in the fact that Miss Thurlow found him attractive quite so boldly. I think it fits mmuch better with your narration if you hint at it, like when you say that she felt it was worse to disaapoint than to offend him...
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 1 . 4/21/2005
OMG. I didn't think I could like something better thant the Forfeit Daughter, but I like this better! I love this Holmes! Love love love! (Softer passions are my thing...)
mrmistoffelees chapter 2 . 4/21/2005
Very good. I like it. How can Watson be getting married? Unless it is after the Sign of the Four and before Watson moves out of 221B Baker Street.
Hermione Holmes chapter 2 . 4/21/2005
Terrific new chapter here. I loved the subtle interaction between Helen and Holmes- the way they acted toward each other was like some arguement between a couple, but this was a much more shrewd way of doing it. Deft manipulation of the characters and the dialogue to create tension between Holmes and Helen, and still make it legitimate and not contrived- excellent job. The references to attraction were also handled well. It was charming the way Helen thought Holmes was striking and then to have him analyze her makeup- fantastic and humorous. I'm getting romantic vibes from this- but maybe that's only me hoping for some_ Anyway, brilliant job, as usual- can't wait for the next installment!

"I can think of no worse fate than being married to Sherlock Holmes,"- Very funny line- wonderful!
Lady Razorsharp chapter 2 . 4/20/2005
Lovely as usual! You've got the Victorian dance of politeness down pat, it seems. Watson's such a sweetie.

The other thing you've got down pat is Holmes' growly, snappish self. I really like how you showcase Watson's attitudes about this most difficult relationship, how he tempers his admiration and affection for Holmes with a good dose of realism and a great deal of patience. This is not lost on Miss Helen, that's for sure...

On technical merit: the prose is smooth and nothing bounces one out of the story. Bravo, bravo!
Hermione Holmes chapter 1 . 4/19/2005
You're back! And with such an excellent start to another intriguing story. The details in this chapter were especially nicely done and I loved Holmes's random outburst about the color- very canonical. Helen and the twins are also back in full form- the conversation between Helen and Holmes was interesting, as Helen shows she is somewhat on the same level as Holmes in terms of "romance". Captivating. Your style is, once again, smooth and nuanced and, although there were a couple of parts that seemed redundant, it was splendid- I do like the third person, as it gives more character interactions. I wonder what the mystery will be and how they will meet up again- Can't wait for more!
Mysty4 chapter 1 . 4/17/2005
Very interesting beginning! Loved the conversations, especially cantankerous Holmes & long suffering Watson at the start; the boys reaction to Watson's Baskerville story (I want a Hound!); and of course tolerant/condescending Holmes & Helen at the end...she is quite outspoken. Again love the details like the description of the mourning on the House they give a wonderful period air. Looking forward to more!
HouAreYouToday chapter 1 . 4/16/2005
A fabulous begininng... :)
Kakashis Forehead Protector chapter 1 . 4/16/2005
Oh, that was interesting. I thought this story looked neat, but I saw your A.N., so I went back and read The Forfeit Daughter in one sitting - it was really neat. Then I read this, and I was like 'ooh, that's so cool!' I can't wait to see more. Will be watching for your next update.

Keep at it:).
Lady Razorsharp chapter 1 . 4/15/2005
Ah, Holmes is being his usual cranky self, isn't he? _ A lovely beginning chapter. I think that Helen is a bit bold (although she does explain herself well, having been raised by her father to actually have an opinion) and Holmes seems wary...but despite himself is enjoying the chance to give his own opinion about something. He's still so carefully distanced, though...and he does seem very tired, but from what I'm not sure...

You've got my attention! _