Reviews for The Mindsifter
Animercom chapter 34 . 8/31
This story is so unique, it pulled me in. I love Greek mythology and Rurouni Kenshin and this story was a perfect combination of the two. Instead of getting lost with the many number of Greek myths and putting too much emphasis on it, there is just a singular focus on the Labyrinth and Icarus. I didn't think it was possible to combine the two, but you did it amazingly. I am also greatly admire your dedication to your stories, continuing them after such a long time and after such hardships. You rock!

Reading about Kenshin's struggles with the effects of the Mindsifter (very original concept btw) was heartbreaking. For example, when Kenshin was stammering with saying the Hiten Mitsurugi-ryu secret name, I just wanted to give him a hug. The shame he must feel by not being able to speak the name in front of his master and surrogate father! I wanted to give Kenshin a hug and say that I couldn't hope to say the name in a million years. One part of the story that really stuck out to me was when the bridge had collapsed under Kenshin and how Saito was telling Kenshin to go down, instead of up to where Kaoru and the others were. Kenshin's thoughts-that there was no down, because Kaoru was up and that was all that mattered, really struck me. It's funny, but it also twists the heart. It perfectly shows how, and I am reluctant to say this, dependent Kenshin is on Kaoru. How much he needs her. Funny, sweet, and heart rending at the same time. And while I was just as frustrated and upset as Kenshin when he was separated from Kaoru and the others after reuniting with them, I'm happy because it allowed more interaction between Kenshin and Hiko and Saito. Reading everyone's perspectives on how they viewed and handled Kenshin and Aoshi's condition was interesting. I also think it was a good idea to have another person besides Kenshin be affected by the Mindsifter as it shows more of its effects.

I think seven months of being separated from Kenshin is too long of a period. One because it's really depressing and sad to think about and because, Kaoru, Sano, and Yahiko being who they are, would eventually reach a point where they would snap and go out and search for Kenshin on their own or help Aoshi find Kenshin. Although I realize the time period may be long because you needed Kenshin to relearn language and normal behavior.

Hikaru can't die! He has to fix Kenshin and Aoshi! But at least they are freed from the curse and the labyrinth is now over. I hope that you finish the story, but at least with this last chapter, it is possible to imagine a happy ending for our battered Team Kenshin gang. Please continue writing! I'll read whatever RK stuff you'll write. Thank you so much for writing this beautiful tale of hurt and the strength to continue even when there is no light of hope!
This is so fantastic, ive been stuck reading this despite having exams and it is the most wonderfully distracting thing! Your writing encompasses so much emotion in simple ways and I'm super impressed!
Please continue if/when you have time and inspiration, I'll be checking back every now and again with my fingers crossed! :)
skenshingumi chapter 34 . 1/24
What a fantastic and wonderful image, a battered and broken Kenshin leaping and succeeding in getting Penna to fly! I loved so many things about this chapter: the idea of Kenshin literally holding on by his teeth, his gasping out his answer to Penna's why, the way you describe the details of their short flight, Penna's confusion, anger and final resolve regarding Kenshin. I liked that line after Penna is freed from his compulsion where he recognizes “Penna, prisoner, or henchmen, their bones all ended up the same.” It echoes little Shinta's comments about the robbers, slave traders and slaves as he explains to Hiko why he buried them. For Kenshin, truly an incredible escape from the labyrinth and yet so fitting a statement to show that Kenshin is truly still “there.” You've painted such indelible images with this story. I never thought freedom would come this way and yet what a perfect solution, Kenshin once again affects freedom through helping others. Now he just has to allow others to continue to help him for that final recovery. (I also can't help but hear Hiko thinking once again, why does my Baka Deshi not but his own needs first, but perhaps that's for another day.)
P.P.V.V chapter 34 . 1/10
What a beautiful chapter.
Everything about it: from the bitterness, to the confusion, to the final realization.
I really love your way with words and I love that the legend held true in the end. Even though a part of Kenshin was destroyed, it was not enough to destroy his spirit and his will to help others.

Now that the spell has been broken, though...does that mean Kenshin will regain himself again? Or is the damage of the Mindsifter permanent?

I'm excited to read more. Thank you again for your wonderful work and for sharing your talent with us!

Looking forward to the next chapter!
-P.P.V.V.
kokoronagomu chapter 34 . 1/9
poor kenshin, he's been so beat up and starved... like a red headed gollum and kaoru is his precious... sorry. lol

with hikaru dead, now there's no one who can undo the effects of the mindsifter... unless kenshin's already figured it out.
gin
Unidentified Pie chapter 34 . 1/9
This is amazing! I really love it - the story is just so unique and magnificently well-written! Please keep going if you can! :)
J Luc Pitard chapter 34 . 1/8
What he doesn't understand is the need to atone. Kenshin does, even after all he's been through here, but Hikaru manages at least one selfless act at the end. Bravo!
ishmaranara chapter 34 . 1/7
An end to the battle, a long awaited dream, the passing of time found complete.
Kaotic I. Deas chapter 34 . 1/4
O.o I did not see that coming at all. The tale you have woven has been an incredible journey so far. There is no other work of writing that's comparable to this where our KK pairing is concerned. I absolutely love how everything has fit together PERFECTLY. Usually when people read a story there is at least one section where they cock their head to the side as they read and think, "Naahhh… that doesn't quite fit." But you my friend are the complete package! Is there anyway I can bribe you into being my private KK author? lol

As far as this chapter in particular, go figure Kenshin would go out of his way for someone who has used and abused him with no mercy. I will admit to being glad that Kenshin was able to help Hikaru break his entrapment. I realize Hikaru was the way he was due to the mind shifter being used on him (*cough cough* even if Kenshin was able to survive it… multiple time might I add) and that he was a victim in all of this too.

Fingers crossed that our friends find our ginger hero soon! Keep up the excellent and happy new years! :-)
Althea M chapter 34 . 1/4
To finally achieve and to understand; too bad it only comes at the end of his life and at the cost of so many others.

Kenshin’s in a lot of pain and is going to need a lot of help. I’m looking forward to the final chapters, to Kenshin’s recovery.

More, please.
AM
Oh man, this has been one of my favorites for years, so to see it get such a lovely update was a wonderful surprise!
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 34 . 1/4
Good to know Hikaru finally got his wish. Hope Kenshin's friends find him.
Feafea chapter 34 . 1/4
Finally an update! Keep it coming yeah? You're almost at the end! Happy new year!
bakattousai chapter 33 . 12/20/2014
I'm not used to writing reviews of any sort, but I always like to thank the writers for their work, if they moved me somehow. I wanted to say a few words about this story because I thought it is really special. I don't read many fics at all but I'm in love with ruroken since I was like 10 years old and I saw it on tv dubbed in Portuguese (I'm 22) and so I tend to look for fan fiction concerning Watsuki's lovely creation, expecting for some to nail at the points I don't think he did... or, in a different way, to see the ruroken universe go on and on, it just feels painful to think that it's 'over'. It's never over! Thanks to you, for example. :)
I already mentioned to some of my friends how well this is actually written. English isn't my native language so this is like a 'jewel' to me. I don't only satisfy my curiosity by knowing how your mind projected such a meticulous plot(!) but I also learn, instictively or with the aid of translators, a bunch of new vocabulary.
Like myself, when I attempt to write my own fics, I noticed you give a lot of emphasis to the characters wishes, fears... I would say the introvert dimension of the characters. As for me I avoid doing this because I am a natural overthinker, which may seem contradictory but ends up on being a pleasant writing exercise to me. BUT here in The Mindsifter, it just flew like wind. Everything matches the essence of the characters since the very beginning, even when their inner mental processes are being exposed.
I can't believe that I found this only a couple of weeks ago, but at the same time I am glad for reaching it in the point where it stands. I was so excited that when I was travelling somewhere for some times I just couldn't help but keep on reading some more of it on my cellphone... (thank god for smart phones with network anywhere and all). What do you need Facebook and other s**t for when you have something like this to keep your mind busy?
I could take a while to name the things I liked the least in your fic, but it's probably just me obcessing. You taking the time to do it your way is already the best. My personal considerations about what could have been different are not a concern, I think. My most concern as I said is to feel that the characters have been ripped out from their original souls, and that was just not a problem at all.
It's funny how so many writers like to see Kenshin suffering on and on :P and you're not an exception, but I tell you that I identify myself with Himura too much and your story feels good in a 'catharsis' kind of way. Each chapter was so stuffed, so awesome. I often found myself feeling sorry for not jumping to the next page at the same time that I was absolutely loving the natural delay of reading at the right speed.
I am crossing fingers for the rest of this story (and for your own happiness) I've had my own turmoils as well so I can't help but feel empathy and wish you all the good things.
*I'm here and I'm waiting! :D Please don't sleep, don't eat, just.. keep on writing!* (In a Rick from Rick and Morty kind of way)
Ganbatte ne _
ann.305 chapter 33 . 12/5/2014
From the bottom of my heart, I hope all will be well with you. Thank you for yet another wonderful chapter.