Reviews for The Skinning of Danny Messer
Lozzarooni chapter 23 . 1/24/2014
Wow. I've had this in my favourites for many years and I'm only just reading this now. This has got to have been one of the best NY fics that I've ever read - it's definitely the first one that I've read that has been Danny centric set in during season 1 or early season 2 (pre Lindsay anyway).

Not really much to critique as it was wonderfully written and flowed better than a lot of published novels that I've read over the years. Thanks for a great read. XD
becca85 chapter 23 . 1/12/2011
Stealth Dragon -

This was, by far, one of the best fanfics I have ever had the privilege of reading. I was glued to my computer screen as much as work would allow, eagerly reading sentences, paragraphs, entire chapters-whatever I was allowed. This is definitely going on my favorites list and I will try and point fellow CSI:NY fans to this story if they want to read something good.

Unfortunately, I only had one disappointment with this story. I wanted to hear a story behind why the Wallace twin brothers did what they did. I wanted something more than "just a game." I think that would have strengthened the ending considerably.

One additional thing to watch out for in your future stories, if it hasn't already been brought to your attention (since I am reading this story five years after you posted it)-homophones. There were quite a few instances where you put the wrong one in. The ones most recent in my mind are “led” instead of “lead” and...well, I had another one in mind, but it vanished without a trace. They're sprinkled throughout the story.

Great job, nonetheless, and I can't wait to read more of your words as I work my way through the earliest of the CSI:NY fanfics.

becca85 chapter 17 . 1/12/2011
Stealth Dragon -

I am having a serious deja vu moment here. Your concluding paragraph sounded exactly like something I just saw or read recently. I'm trying to remember what it was from though. Probably a recent episode of a favorite TV show or something. Of course, you do have the advantage of having written this five years ago, but I thought it was so weird how that popped up like that. I'm still hooked on the story. I've got it up on my work computer in the background and I keep coming back to it when business is slow for a few moments. I'm still pointing the finger at Mavin, but I still think he's too obvious a choice. I'm convinced that if the Hangman killer isn't him, it's got to be someone else who hasn't been introduced yet. No one else has the character for it. Maybe Farrone, but that's a long shot. Plus, I don't think she has the strength for it.

becca85 chapter 7 . 1/11/2011
Stealth Dragon -

Since you mentioned it in your author's note, I thought I would say something here, instead of at the concluding chapter when I originally planned to. I wanted to say that I have high respect for authors who refuse to use, or use sparingly, swear words in their writing. My respect increases exponentially when the author can still get across the intenseness of the situations without causing their characters to cuss up a whirlwind of profanity. I want to thank you sincerely for your choice in writing. Thanks!

- Becca

P.S. I'm pointing the finger at Mavin for being the Hangman, but I'm positive he's a red herring. I am sticking to my opinion that he isn't what he seems, though. I guess only my continued reading will prove me right or wrong. :)
becca85 chapter 3 . 1/11/2011
Stealth Dragon -

I thought I would let you know that after three chapters I am hooked on your story here. I was actually hooked after the first chapter, but I got so involved in reading, I forgot to review.

You really know how to weave an intricate plot that captures the attention of the reader. Aside from a couple of spelling/grammatical errors I noticed, this story has been perfect so far. I definitely think you have what it takes to write professionally if you haven't already started.

Ihni chapter 23 . 8/31/2008
Aw damn, this was great! First of all, that there were two of them ... I didn't expect that. And that Mavin guy ... I honestly felt just like Danny towards that guy ... I either wanted to shoot him, or send him off to some remote country where he wouldn't bother anyone ever again. Preferably a deserted island. But in the end, you made him more human. Which makes it difficult to hate him completely. Instead, I'm intrigued. What kind of stuff makes a person like that? ... better not dwell on it, I'm going to bed now. Don't wanna get more nightmares than I'll already have, thanks to that polaroid scene. That freaked me out.

But yeah, all in all? Nice piece of writing, and well done.
Ihni chapter 17 . 8/31/2008
... okay, I haven't been reviewing until now because I prefer to read through a whole story before I do (if there IS a whole story, that is) ... but this here last scene? With the polaroid picture? That was so freaking scary, I'm adding this story to favourites just because of it. *shivers* Damn you. I'll have nightmares.
Sora Livana chapter 12 . 6/21/2008
Amazing story!
burnbabyburn123 chapter 23 . 4/27/2007
A fantastic story that kept me hooked the whole way through. Truly inspiring stuff and I love the way you showed the mavin character. You had the characters spot on and for that i commend you ]! fantastic writing and the best CSI NY fanfic on the internet... fascinating stuff. Keep it up!

Leigh x
k lucrece chapter 23 . 7/30/2006
0.o

Wow

This is one of the best fanfics I've read! I was completely hooked! As in Ian-Rankin-mystery-novel-hooked. It was compelling, and well-written, and in-character... Bravo, luv. _
NYPDBURN07 chapter 1 . 7/26/2006
I loved it
sparkycola1 chapter 23 . 7/10/2006
Well, you had me fooled, for quite a few chapters I *really* thought it was Mavin, lol.

" I will be doing other fics sometime in the future (all Danny related, of course, for all you fellow Danny fans)"

"but probably not for a while."

aw. *Checks date of fic* It's been a while- yes!

You are an exceptionally talented storyteller, Stealth Dragon. I gotta say- I can really see you becoming a professional writer- and I don't say that to just anyone, let me assure you.

Plus- you have great taste! I absolutely love Danny to pieces but as you can probably tell from my name- I'm from the Harper fandom originally D I guess it's the bad boy thing, i dunno.

You really are a very talented writer and it was such a great, well-rounded story!

I think you should do a story about Danny losing his brother (well, it's not very likely he'll wake up is it?), Aiden, and nearly Flack all so close together. I mean, poor Danny!

*huggles Danny*

I read it all the way through- took a coupla days I admit- it's long! But I enjoyed it greatly, and hope to see lots more Danny-whumping-angsty-goodness in the future ;) See I am evil, (even though I just talked about Danny like he's a cuddly toy lol), I just can't help it. Danny's so cute when he's upset _

Thanks very much for all the hard work and effort you must have put in, and thanks for posting,

Sparky
Troo chapter 23 . 6/5/2006
You write how I wish I could write. I love the dialogue, the humor... everything. By starting the story the way you did, it sent me rushing through the middle to try to get the to end as fast as possible. It was thouroghly enjoyable throughout.

One thing that kinda stuck out in my mind after finishing it was that it seemed like the story kept going and going and then suddenly the end rushed by. Almost as if you'd gotten to the end and just wanted to finish it. I enjoyed the ending.. just expected it to take a little longer.

Also, as far as the swear words you don't like using... I totally respect that you don't like using them. I am the same way when it comes to writing. My one comment here is that by leaving the letters out, it actually makes them stand out more to me than if they'd been written. Believe me when I say that I understand how hard it is to write something else in place and have it mean the same thing and not sound stupid.

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait for more! I'm even gonna go read all your Stargate Atlantis fics now. :)

Julie
buffgirl73 chapter 23 . 4/23/2006
Hi

I'm a massive fanfic fan but I can safely say this is the best CSI NY fic I have read to date.

I haven't been able to drag myself away from it and am glad that I haven't found it until now so that I could read it in one fell swoop.

You're a great writer and the lack of swears makes no difference whatsoever in my mind.

Thanks very much