Reviews for Chasing My Past
Darkana Arez chapter 3 . 10/9/2014
Aw, you broke my heart! But it's beautifully written. I love it. :'3
whatnamebutnoname chapter 3 . 5/18/2007
Cool story... but... it feels like it has't been finished. I don't know, it's missing something...
cirruscastle chapter 3 . 6/25/2006
I like the idea that Shuyin was somehow involved in Nooj's allaience with LeBlanc, and that he seems to want to pursue their relationship now without that influence almost out of pity for the way he used her before.

I find it interesting that Nooj can't have a relationship with Paine because the memories of that timne are too painful. It's an interesting reason.

I really adore a Paine who defends LeBlanc. I think that she is mature enough to do that, even if the woman does go off with Nooj.

As I said before I like all of the possibilities that this sotry unfolds and I really enjoy some of the excellent ideas in it. It was a good quick read.
cirruscastle chapter 2 . 6/25/2006
I like this Paine who takes simple pleasure in a trip by ferry to Luca and the time it affords her to think things through.

It seems maybe a little too easy for Paine to get into Nooj's office. Then again I can see Nooj as the sort to try as much as possible to dispense with the formalities of goverment.

I like the way that Paine firmly declines Nooj's offer that she help in governing Spira. I like the idea that she isn't always as serious as she seems. In the game that shows I think. I really do believe she might have developed a liking for fighting since her job as a recorder wwas finished.

I adore the idea of silly Tidus as a nameless legend. *laughs* Jecht would be seriously jealous, I believe.

I really adore the thought of Yuna and Tidus backpacking all over Spira. That is exactly what they'd want to do if they were reuinted!

I like Paine's assessment of Tidus politically. I think she has him pretty much figured out.

Now Gippal and Nhadala I really can't see! Hee.

I am interested in the idea that Baralai had a thing for Yuna. Really, I am sorry you didn't continue *this* story, actually. I find the idea you present her only sketchily interesting. :)

I also really enjoy your ideas about Shuyin's possession of Baralai and what that maybe have done to him. I can see that some of your storytelling squeaks a little around the edges. There's a lot of narration here, where there could be elabroation of more interesting sorts, but really, I do wish you'd expanded on all of this.

I am a little disappointed that Paine is only here to find out about Nooj's romantic involvements. I would think she'd also be deeply interested in what motivated him as he was possessed by Shuyin. I would imagine that wouldn't be so easy to forgive. Still, this is another deeply interesting chapter.
cirruscastle chapter 1 . 6/25/2006
I like the way that Rikku is so worried about their future and the thoughtful way in which Paine replies to her bubbly enquiries.

I love the way that Rikku promotes Tidus as a leader. She seems to really endorse him strongly and it's kind of cute. I like the way she gushes over how romantic it all is too. You really get her character right and Paine's as well.

I really like the way you explore Paine's feelings on the reunion, the way she feels a little left out, the way she only sees Shuyin in Tidus. But even better is the way that Paine misses her own close companions and the way that she recognizes the distance between herself and her friends is her own doing partially.

I like the way Paine goes away to think in solitude.

I really enjoy the little conversation between Lulu and Paine. I think that they would likely be well suited to each other in many ways, both quiet and sarcastic and witty.

I like their conversation. Lulu asks an interesting question and Paine gives an interesting reply.

I think this is really a lovely little way to round off Paine's story in the game. I like the idea that she will return to talk to Nooj about everything that has happened. I enjoyed reading this. :)

Nitpicking:

"The joy didn't just show on her face; it seems to suffuse her entire body." Replace "seems" with "seemed."

"Are you expecting the standard answer - proud, relived, humbled, happy to be of help - or do you really want to know?" Typo on "relieved."

"I drew my legs up and folded my arms across them, resting my chin on my knees, gazing off into the starts." Typo on "stars."
Ikonopeiston chapter 3 . 7/7/2005
That took courage, didn't it? On your part I mean. It is always so tempting to force the ending one desires instead of following the plot's own path as it is set. This is a grand story. It would be as good if it were your hundredth, but to be your first is a triumph. You have much talent, not the least of which is being able to understand what you have created and to be true to it.
Ikonopeiston chapter 2 . 7/7/2005
Unkind woman to break the story just there. Excellent work. You have managed to say much in few words and yet remain coherent and in character. *applause* That is not an easy thing to do. You have a good handle on both the people you are exploring.

I think I have found one purely grammatical error. "I'd found a room at an inn, dropped my bag, and ate a light lunch"

I think the word should be 'eaten' in order to fit the parallel structure.

Onward, I am too impatient to wait!
Ikonopeiston chapter 1 . 7/7/2005
This is quite a remarkable debut, you know. Your sure and elegant handling of the beginning is impressive to someone who has read as much both good and bad fiction as have I. You have foreshadowed with skill and set the plot in motion with a steady hand.

One little thing, when the Crimson Squad events occurred, the four teammates were not a part of the Crusaders. The CS was designed to take over the Crusaders after training. Just a quibble.
Frances Lyon chapter 3 . 4/24/2005
I love this fic. It's awesome. I really got into it, and highly recommend it. You had me strung along the whole way, and I can't stress that enough. The very last few lines rounded the whole fic off nicely. You put a lot of thought into it, and it shows.

... and if you didn't put a lot of thought into it, then you're must be simply seething with creativity. Either way it's very well done.

Much kudos!

-lyon
darkcyan chapter 3 . 4/21/2005
I'm impressed. I fancy myself a pretty good judge of character interactions, but it never occurred to me how Paine might possibly react to His reappearance. I found the way you portrayed her to be very believable.

I'm further impressed by the way you handled the Nooj/Leblanc/Paine triangle you set up, and by the way you set it up to begin with. Your characters acted like reasonable adults and made believable decisions.

I look forward to seeing your further forays into the world of fanfiction.

(And now I *really* want to go back and replay X-2 ...)