Reviews for Boromir's Journey Home Amon Hen to Minas Tirith
Evendim chapter 7 . 4/27/2005
“Aragorn has long been loathe to push his claim. But there, I believe your brother has turned the tide.”

“Boromir? In what way?”

“Much of it in the friendship and trust that grew ever stronger between them during our long dark journey. And he gave final proof of the courage and honour of Men – if such were needed - in his valiant attempt to save Merry and Pippin. Boromir gave his pledge of fealty to Aragorn after that terrible battle, and more, heard in return Aragorn’s oath of protection for Minas Tirith.”

“Aragorn is pledged to come to our aid?”

Gimli nodded. “He swore he would not let The White City fall, nor his people fail.”

Bravo. Even although this story is AU; still this is a timely reminder that Boromir did indeed influence Aragorn to save the White City.

One reason I like this story is that it reminds me that the friendship between these two made such a difference to the overall outcome.

I never read fanfiction as a rule, I simply do not have time to, given the rate at which I write it, but this story I am making time for because it reminds me of why I began writing to begin with. It was because of Boromir. I am finding your story reminds me of the sheer enjoyment I experienced on seeing FOTR for the first time (with the added bonus that Boromir lives). Without question, Fellowship still is my outright favourite of the trilogy. Thank you for this reminder, Carolyn! ~ Evendim.
Pipkin Sweetgrass chapter 1 . 4/25/2005
At last I had time to start this story! It's off to a wonderful start, I see! You've done well with this first chapter, your writing is quite good and the characterizations are spot on. I know Boromir is in good hands with you, as I'm sure Merry and Pippin are as well. I'll leave my bookmark here tonight, and I'm putting you on author alert and adding the tale to my C2 community! Well done, and I'll read more later.
lindahoyland chapter 6 . 4/25/2005
What a beautiful reunion for the brothers ! Very well written.
Susan W chapter 6 . 4/25/2005
Oh, well done, well done! Faramir realizes he needs to allow the Hobbits to be on their way and Sam gets his chance to tell about Boromir being alive. Wonderful!

Sniff! :) The reunion was so very sweet! Great image of dear Fara staring down at his brother in shock and disbelief! And that crushing embrace as if he thought Boro might disappear!

Then the mother hen in Fara comes out as he sees all of the wounds upon his Boro. I am loving your portrayal of Gimli. He is such a wonderful character!

So Boro gets two mother hens to help take him back to MT, sweet! :)

Anxiously awaiting the next update!
AriannaMalfoy chapter 6 . 4/25/2005
Wow, you are really moving fast on this one! Not too fast though, and every chapter has been as good as the first. I particularly like the interaction between Boromir and Faramir; it's very well done and impressively in character. Waiting patiently for the next installment!
Evendim chapter 6 . 4/25/2005
Very nice. You have a sure touch with the brothers and have their characters exactly right. Nice to see this story gain well deserved recognition! ~ Evendim.
Evendim chapter 5 . 4/25/2005
The further into this story we, the readers, go the more we see your skill at story telling. It is not easy to write and research, I know, stopping constantly breaks the flow, but you DO research for the spadework shows. All of this did not come from watching three films. A story this well written reflects the amount of work put in behind the scenes. Kudos. ~ J.
Susan W chapter 5 . 4/24/2005
Sam makes such excellent sense! “It’s over. Let it go. There’s more than enough to worry about right here and now without going backward.”

Looks as if Boromir will take Sam's words to heart! Most excellent!

Oh yeah, great job on the OC, Garad! Not many authors even attempt writing OCs. There are just a very few authors who have written believable OCs!

Excellent, I love the way the Boro can redeem himself fully and so quickly! There are a few Boro lives stories that have him dwelling on his "failure" for too long and they get a little tedious after awhile.

Aaeeii! Poor Boromir, so helpless when he needs to be up and fighting!

Well, your updates come nice and quick, so I will not complain too much about the cliffhanger!

Absolutely cannot wait for the reunion between the brothers! Update soon, please!
Susan W chapter 4 . 4/24/2005
M Lembas, Gimli's favorite food! Well, maybe not!

Heh heh heh! Gimli forever thinking of a good brew! "Gimli’s annoyance gave way to a bemused grunt. “I ask no reward. It is more than enough to see Boromir home and healed.” Then, he added hopefully, “Do you brew beer in your city?” Of course Gondor's brew probably doesn't come close to matching the Dwarven ale.

I like how you have gone back and forth between different characters! We get more of Aragorn and company in Isengard where they find the Hobbits eating and drinking. Love seeing that mischevious gleam in Merry's eyes. Can't wait for him to tease "young master Gandalf".

Good, you had the Palantir scene at the fords of Isen! However, I do wish you had included the nazgul doing his fly-over as that is how they then knew the nazgul were back and riding fell beasts. Ah well! I see another chapter to go read!
lindahoyland chapter 4 . 4/24/2005
I loved the Hobbits reunion with Aragorn.

I like Garad,he seems a good sort.
lindahoyland chapter 5 . 4/24/2005
What a wonderful scene for Boromir and few writers go into such depth over Boromir's temptation and do it so well.
Ivriniel chapter 4 . 4/24/2005
We discussed this on a deeper level before, you and I, how 'own characters', if well thought out and developed can really benefit a story and I have to say I like your Garad. We drew parallels between him and my own character Ancir and I like Garad very much indeed! This is another excellent chapter, well thought out and well executed...and I have just realised I signed this review in under Ivriniel! Rats! Off to log out and log in as my other self! Snort! Evendim .
Ivriniel chapter 3 . 4/24/2005
Ah, so that's what movieverse means? Someone once told me I should have said that.I wish they had written why, it would have saved me the trouble of trawling through my HOME collection to explain the background to my alterations to the canon. My copy of the 'Unfinished Tales' is shot! My 'Peoples of Middle Earth' has fared little better and my copy of 'Morgoth's Ring' is unfit to be seen! I was also taken to task over not labelling a story AU. I am seriously thinking of labelling everything DLDR.(Don't like, don't read.) Works for me! Best wishes from one 'I have researched myself into myopia' author to another! ~ J.(Evendim)
Evendim chapter 3 . 4/24/2005
Merry and Pippin, sitting in a tree, who'd be Treebeard? Oh, not me!

Well done on the hobbits, the characterisations were perfect! Another wonderful chapter and you know the geography so well. I prefer stories where the action shifts I have to created a whole world, its a shame not to use it! The dream sequence was heartbreaking. I am delighted to say I do have a mental image stored for where it says insert art by Gonzai! A very talented artist and lucky you to have access to her work, I look forward to seeing the finished article.~ J.
Jedi Buttercup chapter 3 . 4/24/2005
This is very well written. I have seen several Boromir-survives stories attempted, but very, very few of them manage to be convincing. You've given us great glimpses into the emotions of each of the characters, and have kept us up with the (now changing) plot of the original story without copying too much from screen to page.

I do have one request, though. Would you please put the word 'movieverse' in your story description? It was plain from the start that you were influenced by the events on screen, which is not necessarily bad - many book-based stories on this site now do that, where it does not break the plot too much, such as Boromir's 'death scene', which is much more emotional in the movie as compared to the book. But when you started having Aragorn think about never having been a true leader of men before, you stepped away from the books enough to be a confirmed Alternate Universe. The book says that Aragorn left the Rangers when he was 25 and went South, in order to learn more about his potential future subjects. He spent about twenty-four years serving first in the guard of King Thengel of Rohan (Theoden's father) and then as a Captain in Gondor's army under Ecthelion (Denethor's dad). That is, in fact, the likely original basis of Denethor's hatred of Aragorn; the appendicies hint that Ecthelion figured out that the mysterious Thorongil (Aragorn) was really the Heir of Isildur, and favored him, and Denethor resented that. Anyway, Aragorn got PLENTY of experience leading men during that period. Then when he was 49 he went back north, met Arwen in Lothlorien and exchanged promises with her, then went back among the Rangers; he was 87, I think, by the time of the Council of Elrond.

Anyway, maybe you know all this already; however, to the casual reader, it may appear as though you mostly watched the movies and/or read fanfic, but didn't make the effort to do much research into Tolkien's actual world. If you put the word 'movieverse' in the description, though, it would make it clear you intended to diverge from bookverse, instead of it being an oversight. Because this really is well written, and deserves as many fans as possible. )
375 | « Prev Page 1 .. 14 21 22 23 24 25 Next »