Reviews for Man in the Iron Mask: Redemption
vonny25 chapter 30 . 1/22
I am reading the story for the second time and I love it. It is absolutely perfect. Thanks for witting it.
vonny25 chapter 39 . 1/8
Great, for writing it.
AuereusUna chapter 39 . 8/27/2013
This is just completely unacceptable. You somehow invaded my mind and wrote the exact story that I wanted. Father-son moments. Love. Friendship. Forgiveness. Just amazing. (I could've done with some hurt!D'artagnan but I'm bad that way). I actually favorited this story long ago but have only recently realized it was complete! I've pretty much read nonstop since. It's amazing. You're amazing. Any other stories in my head you wanna write?
IcyWaters chapter 39 . 10/1/2012
Superb story!

I love how these final two chapters brought the narrative full circle, with Athos getting word of Raoul's grave site and the optimism the twins may forge some level of brotherly relationship. More than anything, I'm thrilled D'Artagnan survived and gets to see his sons together, even though one is unaware of the truth.

It warmed my heart when Louis came to realize his protector in many ways filled the role of father figure, being there for him when the king wasn't. I mentioned earlier how a small part of me wanted him to learn the truth. This resolution was highly satisfying. Very nicely done. :-)

On a technical aspect, I am thoroughly impressed by how captivating this story was from the first chapter to the last. Never did the pace slow or drag, which is often common with works of this length. Each chapter had its own flow, with a beginning, middle and end, making for a gratifying read.

The historical research you must have put into this is impressive. I love the attention to detail and how it swept me into this world. The language is perfect, with no modern references or slang to jar me from the tale.

My only nitpick comes from a lack of a conflict in the latter quarter to third of the story. I kept waiting for a greater threat to appear. Everything went too smoothly, from the convenience of Francois breaking his leg to the revelation there was another room attached to the passage.

From the point Philippe took the throne, there were hints of trouble. There were the expected gaffes at the ball, like when he stepped on the lady's hem, ala the movie. There were also moments such as D'Artagnan detecting movement in the woods while on the ride with his new bride.

The Jesuits agreed to tone down their attacks, but I almost expected an assassination attempt, perhaps from an incensed citizen at his last straw. I was eager to see Philippe's reaction to that type of scenario.

Another possibility that kept crossing my mind was someone overhearing Philippe calling D'Artagnan 'father', perhaps someone who might have had something to gain and could cause trouble. Not necessarily Christine, since I'm glad she got a happier ending, but perhaps a noble or distant relative who has claim to the throne.

While I did expect one last major conflict, the lack of one doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment this story gave me. I adore stories focusing on father and son relationships and friendships between heroes, and this fulfilled my cravings in spades. I wish it had been the movie we saw, but studios would probably screw it up somehow. :-) Thank you for a mesmerizing story.
IcyWaters chapter 35 . 9/30/2012
Oh, Francois, what a devil! I never thought he had it in him. :-) I'm happy Christine's fate is one of happiness and hope. She was another in a long list of Louis' victims in the games he played. It was good to see her and Athos make amends.

On the subject of Louis, I'm a surprised he is beginning to show a wee bit of remorse so soon. I can't even begin to imagine what the torture of that mask is like, even with the horrifying descriptions Philippe relates. His heart is still filled with anger, but I hope he can find some level of peace. Learning D'Artagnan kept to his word about the residence may go a long way in that regard.

There are still a few chapters remaining, so I'm not letting my guard down just yet. The transfer makes me nervous.
IcyWaters chapter 32 . 9/30/2012
Woohoo! I never expected this turn of events, but it has me ecstatic! :-) At the same time, I'm terrified of what may lurk ahead. Things have been going too smoothly...

I must also add this is one of the most romantic chapters I have read in a long time. Other authors should take notes. Beautiful and enchanting while never trite or sappy. Bravo!
IcyWaters chapter 30 . 9/30/2012
Philippe is doing a magnificent job as king! There have been a few missteps, as expected, but he was magnificent in his office, putting his advisors in their place. It's wonderful to see his confidence growing.

It's been too long since I last watched the film. I need to see it again so I can better differentiate your touches. :-)

I've been so swept up in your retelling of events that I haven't given much thought to how it might conclude. For the first time, I'm truly hoping for a happy ending. For Philippe to lose his father now, after having the chance to get to know him, would be even more tragic that having him ripped away moments after learning his identity.

We've had Louis attempting to kill his brother with a knife, so I know that won't happen again. :-) But as he stews in the mask, his anger and desire for revenge will only intensify. Will he be able to form plan and carry it out? Will D'Artagnan meet the same fate here?

I'm also wondering if Louis will learn his origins. It will pose great danger for Philippe, but after the comment from Andre how he thought Louis regarded D'Artagnan as a second father, a small part of me wants him to discover the truth of his paternity.

With the revelation of another room attached to the secret passage, I sense Philippe might suddenly find he has a purpose for D'Artagnan's quarters and orders him to new a new room. :-) The risk remains high, such as if the captain's presence is required late at night, but it would give his parents a chance to be together.

There are so many delightful details I want to comment on, so naturally I've forgotten to mention most. :-) Ah, but I cannot dwell on it since I'm too eager to keep reading. Oh, wait, I do want to state how much I love seeing Philippe and his mother sharing time together. I'm not sure if I've touched on that yet.
IcyWaters chapter 25 . 9/30/2012
It is nearly one o'clock in the morning and I desperately want to squeeze in a few more chapters, but my eyelids aren't agreeing.

What an amazing and suspenseful turn of events! When the location of the hunt was revealed, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to make the switch, particularly since it was Louis who insisted on having a minimal security detail with him in the field. But as the event drew closer, I kept waiting for something to go wrong.

I never could have expected such an impressive and memorable scene to play out. Amid the heart wrenching moment for D'Artagnan, you even managed to work in some delightful touches of humor. Porthos threatening to undress Louis, and then to dress him like an infant, had me chuckling.

Simply perfect!

Yet my heart wept for D'Artagnan. When he called Louis out on all of his abuses, I heard him speaking as a father. The horror of having to place his son in the mask and his own guilt for striking his child was difficult to read. I have to keep reminding myself he's doing this for the sake of everyone. Had life been kinder to them all, Louis would have been guided and disciplined by a loving father in a home full of warmth and become a better man as a result.

I admire how you don't paint Louis as an all out villain. In many ways, he is as much a victim as his mother, father and brother.

Lieutenant Andre proved he's a good man. :-) When D'Artagnan was giving that speech, I kept thinking back to the stable scene a few chapters back, wondering if perhaps he may have seen his mentor and the queen meeting at the chapel...

I can't wait to see how the group handles the ball!
IcyWaters chapter 20 . 9/28/2012
I'm now 20 chapters into the story and decided now is a good time to stop and review again. There is also the little conundrum that it's now into the wee hours of the morning and I need to get some sleep. :-)

I must compliment your ability to craft a truly engaging tale. Halfway into the narrative and I'm just as spellbound as I was when I started. It's not often I can say that of longer tales, especially in fan fiction.

I greatly enjoyed Porthos' journey to sobriety and how you don't shy away from sensitive subject matters, such as his impotency. His relationship with Angelina is very sweet and it's wonderful she will be joining him in Paris. I'm hoping we get to see him giving Philippe shooting lessons.

I adore the scene with D'Artagnan and Anne. So romantic and heartbreaking all at the same time! Her love for her son is captivating and I'm eager for them to finally meet.

I'm also relieved Athos and D'Artagnan finally resolved their differences! It's about time. ;-) Athos' emotional breakdown and the subsequent bonding hit all the right notes. It felt so real and true to life. Bravo!

Of course, my favorite parts are the continued delightful father and son bonding moments. The horse riding lessons are terrific. D'Artagnan is incredibly sweet and I love his kind and patient manner with Philippe, even when the difficult questions are asked. Philippe is one smart and perceptive boy, so it's good to see him inquiring about his origins.

I'm eager to continue, but it shall have to wait until tomorrow. Hmm, or should that be later today? ;-)
IcyWaters chapter 10 . 9/27/2012
I stumbled across this story by way of someone's favorite list. I usually avoid work posted in the miscellaneous section; while there are a few gems, it's mostly overwhelmed with dreck. This is one of those rare gems!

As soon as I clicked on the title and began reading, I was immediately swept into this grand landscape you've painted. I've been glued to my computer for the better part of the afternoon unable to step away for even a moment.

Your writing style is clear, fluid and a joy to read. You have a mastery of the written word that I can only dream of achieving.

The descriptions, characterizations and interactions are superb. I adore the burgeoning father and son relationship. D'Artagnan's uneasiness at showing affections and the bonding with Philippe is rich with nuances and rings so true to life.

I understand how he instinctively compares Philippe to Louis, the only son he's known, and regrets making Philippe a part of such uncomfortable comparisons. It's truly heartwarming that they have this chance to openly be father and son before the time comes where they must remain distant.

I'm thrilled that the boy was able to overhear his father's confession to the former Musketeers. Being privy to that side of his father is very special. D'Artagnan could state it all to Philippe, but this unfettered glimpse into his soul tells the son all he needs to know about the man his father is.

I also greatly enjoy the complicated relationship between D'Artagnan and Athos, though Athos' stubbornness is starting to grate on me as much as D'Artagnan. :-) They are brothers in all but blood, so I do hope they will be able to get past their differences sooner rather than later.

My apologies for not reviewing each chapter as I usually do. But I hate to pull myself away from this adventure for the short time it takes to compose this single review.
EmmatheEvil chapter 39 . 3/6/2012
I absolutely love this story! I'd like you to write a sequel, even if I know it's impossible!
Storyloverandteller101 chapter 1 . 8/25/2011
I cannot wait until I read the rest of this story! You are a very talented writer and I love how the characters are all in character! Athos anger is quite understandable! Can't wait to read the rest of the story.
OTP-Obsessions chapter 39 . 1/8/2011
omg this was a great story i was looking for man in the iron mask fanfics but couldnt find many about anne and dartagnan in the section...there were only 11 in the movie section! so i went to google and found this! this is an incredible story and i recommend if you ever come back to write more about this particular movie or story you write more about dartagnan and anne! great story truly enjoyed it
lilgenious chapter 39 . 7/25/2010
This story was awesome:D I think that the ending was especially awesome and found it touching that D'Artagnan kept to his promise on locating the grave of Athos son. I also find it touching how D'Artagnan spent time with one of his sons and doing what father's do best. You're an awesome writer and maybe you can write more stories on the Musketeers:D
Warren chapter 39 . 3/30/2010
So i read this ina week and I gotta say I LOVED IT! I have read all the original books AND have seen all the movies and I wish they could have all ended like this. You are an amazing writer and i think that you should try and write an original story by you and see if you can get it published or something. I would DEFINATELY read it. I'm going to look into the other stories you have written on here. So I guess all that's left to say is BRAVO! I was impressed.I love the way you wrote. It sounded like it was from the books themselves. Well done.