Reviews for A Solo For The Living
songsinmyhead chapter 63 . 8/20
Love the interaction between Erik and Raoul in this chapter. They've both come so far for Erik to be able to confide in Raoul something he will not share with Christine. I hope the conscription does not mean the end of Erik and Christine's short lived happiness. Brilliantly written as always. Looking forward to see where this carriage takes them.
garasu-no-kamen chapter 63 . 8/20
Blimey, the conscription letter has indeed arrived: bubble, bubble toil and trouble.
Those two poor souls just don't have a good moment of respite that everything comes crashing down again.
Still, I suppose there must be something really"hard" that will get Erik back to singing too and being forced to fight again, and surviving it all as a man, might just be what does it.
How poignant was his waking up on the floor and taking off the gag from his mouth. The tenderness of his feelings for the three women's comfort, the description of his physical and emotional distress are so well depicted and gave me a lump in my throat.
Will patiently wait for the next update, thanks again for such quality writing.
Morrigan24601 chapter 63 . 8/20
This story is SO incredibly good, as ever! I did wonder if a "rosette" was some sort of sponge, thank you for clearing that up! So many utterly fascinating historic details...as always, I love how meticulously this fic has been researched. I'm on pins and needles wondering what Erik is going to do about the conscription. I so look forward to these updates! Thank you for continuing to write this lovely, gritty, well-crafted tale!
moonservant chapter 63 . 8/19
The plot thickens with this conscription! I have longed for an update and this was worth the wait. In case I have not reviewed previously, I am enjoying following this story and appreciate the depth of your research. I have tried to replicate it for my own story, but I cannot find good sources on the society of the time. This is becoming an accepted headcanon, and I look forward to your next update!
Thanks for another great chapter :D
zeeksmom chapter 63 . 8/19
Brilliant, unsettling, frightening . . . I imagine that Erik will eventually report for the army, even though he says he cannot. He will think over what Raoul has said about being a man in society, and decide that if he does want to live with Christine in the light, he really cannot avoid conscription. We've already seen him fight so we know he's not a coward. Perhaps he thinks that if he leaves, no one will be there to protect Christine. But Chagny will look after her; surely he won't be expected to return to duty since he can barely walk with that severe a wound.

The love scenes are wonderful, btw, and shows how brave Christine is as well. She is willing to accept him as he is, and without marriage, something not condoned at the time. They are truly well-suited, and I hope eventually they will be able to be together, for good, in the sunshine. And I hope Raoul, Madame Giry, and Meg will be part of their lives as well.

Thanks you, as always, for your meticulous work.
Riene chapter 63 . 8/18
I was wondering about the letter, and await with some trepidation to see where that goes. Will he or won't he? Either way there will be new problems developing.

Those few words about the linen gag just...got to me. A very intense, disturbing reminder of his past and how the nights still affect him..it was a superb bit of writing.

I can understand Christine's reaction to performing. Loved the night with Erik and the discussion of trains and silver seashores. Rosette? Is that a talisman against procreation?

The vividness of this story always affects me; I want a blanket and hot cup of tea even though it's high summer here.

Looking forward to the next chapter as always!
nekochan.cruz chapter 63 . 8/18
Fantastic chapter! Every time I think you cannot bring more of Erik's humanity to the forefront of this story, you prove me wrong and amaze me. And the end - oh, poor Christine! From just the mention of his name, you can feel her deflation and puzzlement at his aloof behavior. I can't wait for the next chapter... I am so eager to see how - and even if - he tells her about his conscription. Great work!
littlest-giry chapter 1 . 8/15
i have just realized after reading 62 chapters that this was last updated in 2005, and oh my god nOOOO this story is so so gorgeous, i am loving it, and it is now most definitely in my top 5 favorite poto stories... your writing is amazing, so eloquent and so so beautiful, all the metaphors and such are so gorgeous and things like "with the music still in her eyes" just give me chills... this is such a gorgeous story and your characters are perfect, the development is amazing, and i am in love with everything about this story... i do really hope that this gets updated, as i would SO love to get to continue on this journey and see what happens!
I hope there's an update of this sooon! Pleeaaassse! I want more EC
Lydia b chapter 62 . 7/24
This story is really truly beautiful! A masterpiece x
Hi will the next chapter be up soon?
Riene chapter 62 . 7/18
The slowing dawning hope that things might be better was a pleasure to see, as well as Erik's determination to help support/feed his little group. Nice to see the character development there.

Loved the little scene in the cart where Christine is rubbing his cold hand, and then them kissing, and him feeling himself to be her man, and perfect.

Good ending scene with the "we" and the acceptance from the Girys.

Looking forward to the next chapter!
Peekaboo chapter 62 . 7/11
What can I say?! This story is so goood it makes me want to cry! I love it! When I see an update it's literally like Christmas :-) Erik and Christine are so perfect, I've always, in other stories, enjoyed the build up to them getting together & the angst, but I always lose interest when they get married & their dreams no longer matter & it all gets a bit stale. But you've made my dreams come true with the ExC relationship that I've always wanted to read. I love them and I'm rooting for them.

Those letters though, gah, I have a bad feeling about this :-(

Love, Danielle (aka Perkaboo) x
Draco malfoy chapter 62 . 7/9
Wonderful and lovely are words I would use to describe this story I love it very much
1,190 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »