Reviews for Folded Wings
Anonymous chapter 29 . 12/25/2011
Thank you for this.
AlterAlias chapter 29 . 11/14/2011
This story was really beautiful, thank you for writing it.
dylanredefined chapter 29 . 2/6/2011
Thankyou for this I enjoyed it a lot.
Caellach Tiger Eye chapter 29 . 8/24/2010
Yes, yes, YES!

...

Ahem ...

I finally got around to reading this story, after much internal debate and searching for the time and mood, and I finally finished it. And I love it!

Seriously - Rei growing as a person WITHOUT a love interest (usually Shinji) bringing it out of her? Never seen it before. While I love the Rei/Shinji pairing personally, and I actually DESTEST the Shinji/Asuka pairing, I found this story so immensly satisfying, and the couplings - intentional or not - so well-written that I put aside my usual qualms. More to the point, pairings did not dominate proceedings too much, so I'm good on that front.

And ... good gravy! A story that gives HIKARI a major supporting character role? And does it well? Wonderful ... I like her character and always found it sad how rarely she appeared in the series proper, even when compared to Touji and Kensuke - really, her only actual appearances involved her and Touji, or her moral support towards Asuka, and nothing more. But you fleshed her out as a character, and wrote her as being Rei's best friend in an unusually plausible way - it seemed so fitting to end the story on the note you did, both because of that, and because you wrote such lovely words at the end.

On the ending, I must thank you a thousand times over for NOT writing a 'Distant Epilogue' set years into the future. Those absolutely annoy the HELL out of me, and several of my favourite fics end like that, frustratingly enough. Seriously - as if people can't leave a note of happy ending/hope in a few words, rather than forcefeeding it down our throats. I know it's Eva, but ... god damn. I liked the quiet nature of this ending much more than all those others put together. It worked gorgeously - even if it didn't refer much to the other characters, because they were not the focus of this story, but Rei was.

Kaji was used excellently - it's hard to see him given a plausibly substantial role beyond 'spy' and 'Misato's lover', yet you pulled it off. Having him as Rei's roommate worked wonders for the story, especially considering how his ... unique influence affected Rei. It was good to see how he continued to have an impact on her even after death - many people dislike Kaji and prefer to forget him after all.

Subtle references to other goings-on worked as well - Misato, Ritsuko, Gendo, etc. were written well enough as extras that I didn't complain.

Being fond of Maya, I was glad of her role, however it may have diminished after Kaji's death. You wrote - gasp! - her as a straight woman, and you did it well! It wasn't specified but ... was she the woman who left Rei that necklace? It wasn't specified explicitly, but I think that was the most likely explanation. Even if it wasn't, good work with her.

Shinji and Asuka often frustrated me, I must confess, but then, you were being shockingly true to their canonical characterisations, so I won't complain. Their development as realistic.

Not to mention, you took some unexpected steps during the story - both with characters, and with events. I was actually shocked when you kiled of Rei II, because it's so EASY for me to see the Reis as separate entities and consider her death in episode 23 to be really meanspirited (considering the clone that replaced her). But at times, it can be written rather well, and this is one of those times. You specified the nature of the memories, and successfully mae me feel for the new Rei as much as the revious one. Even though she lost her memories you, SOMEHOW, made them still a part of her. There's a little bittersweetness in the last few paragraphs, but ... damn, I loved Hikari's line about giving Rei new memories to replace the old ones. In fact, Hikari's scenes with Rei VERY frequently turned into Crowning Moments of Heartwarming, especially considering the realistic tension in earlier scenes. Especially when she'd forbidden Rei from kissing her one more time, and then, much later, gives her a last kiss - that scene made me want to cry because of its subtle beauty.

It's small, simple stuff like that that REALLY makes Evangelion what it is - a world where, even if the world as a whole is going to hell, EVEN if we can't prevent it ... there are those small times, those small hints of comfort and love we spend with others we care about, that make living worthwhile. Even if we suffer - there is light, and there is love, and all the pain and suffering is worth it for those small, beautiful moments ...

Whoa ... and I just remembered that 'Hikari' means 'Light' in Japanese. Talk about a meaningful name, huh ... more so than in just the series, where she was characterised by her happiness and stability. How fitting, then, that Rei's happy ending - and I WILL agree that it's happy, the ending that she so rightfully deserved but the series never gave her - is spent with Hikari.

This is perhaps one of the most IMPORTANT Evangelion fanfics ever written, simplistic style and wording or not - and I am not exagerrating. Because it shows that even someone like Rei, a simple tool in the machinations of Men and Gods, can nonetheless find the capacity to grow, to BECOME human, and most importantly ... to live.

gOD ... Godspeed ...

(P.S. Damn ... even my customary sign-off signature was so deeply affected - it just didin't seem right to write it the way I normally do.)
Dairegh chapter 29 . 8/5/2010
This... was an extremely well written story. I loved it. Very insightful into Rei's mind. Well done! : )

-W.M.
dongaro chapter 29 . 2/6/2010
This was an amazing story. It kept true to Reis character but it grew beyond it,fleshing it out and growing. Normally I'm a fan of romance and in particular Rei shinji fics, but this fic was beautiful without it. At the middle point I was wondering if Kaji would die or not and if he would become Rei's lover, but I'm glad that he didn't. There's a lot of stories on , action ones, comedy, romance, drivel, but this one is one of the more beautiful ones. It made me feel, well I'm not sure what, but it was more then a lot of fanfictions do. Normally I write something here about how much I enjoyed it or look forward to reading your next update, but instead i'm going to say thankyou for writing this.
SomeRandom chapter 29 . 11/6/2009
that was brilliant! read it all the way through and enjoyed every moment. should write a novel or something. id pay for that.

keep up the amazing work!
Tetris Ex Machina chapter 29 . 8/28/2009
Great story!
Namikaze Minato chapter 29 . 4/10/2009
Fucking awesome story!
Namikaze Minato chapter 14 . 4/10/2009
Sh-Crap, rather. I was incorrect in my assumptions of what Rei spoke to Hikari about.
Namikaze Minato chapter 13 . 4/10/2009
Nice way of hinting at what Rei talked to Hikari. I haven't read chapter 14 yet, and I already have guessed at what she said. Rei bi? Eh, whatever.
Greenfang chapter 29 . 4/8/2009
Phew! What a brilliant story! It's like nearly 2am and I've just finished Folded Wings and I am completely blown away by it. The character development is excellent and the storyine is both believable and involving. Jeez, calling it involving is an understatement! I was absolutely hooked from the start on this fic, and now I've finished reading it I feel disappointed it's over but I ultimately found the ending quite uplifting. Sorry for gushing too much, but thank you. One of the best I've ever read!
NemesisZero chapter 29 . 5/27/2008
Wow, this was just a flat-out amazing read. I've read nearly all of your existing eva fics in the past week but this one is hands-down my favorite of the bunch. The handling of nearly every character is in-depth and humanizing, fleshing out a few oft-ignored minor cast members and presenting definitively believable takes on the mains in these slightly altered circumstances.

Bravo.
Skwiziks chapter 29 . 1/10/2008
I'm unsure of how to feel about this one. It's like with all stories I read I hope for something more conclusive. There are threads you've woven all throughout this tale that are left incomplete...but at the same time the key thread is completed. And it was the shortest thread of them all...Rei's evolution was merely a single step over a threshold...a transitional point. That was concluded. Maybe it's just the nature of transitions that once they are over they don't feel like a conclusion because really...once the threshold is crossed, the story has only just begun.

Alright, I've decided. I enjoyed reading this story quite a bit. I like it.

*highfive*
Zoray Zorial chapter 29 . 1/1/2008
Your story is beautiful. There is no other way to say it. Rei's character is a unique one. She is supremely difficult to comprehend, and yet you handled her growth masterfully. She is Rei in the truest form from the moment she first speaks to Kaji until her defiance of Instrumentality and her final embrace with Hikari. You have succeeded, unquestionably. (At least, you have if my perception of your goal is correct)

Your pen (or keystrokes, more appropriately) have guided and defined brilliantly, and though I may not agree with some of the countereffects (coughShinjiAsukacough), I could not be more satisfied with Rei's outcome.

The beginning of the final chapter carried the strongest impact for me. I personally believe that Rei would have never allowed herself to be used as the focus for Complementation if she had not been forced into a state of inhumanity by Gendou. As presented here, emotion allows her to see the basic wrongness of Instrumentality. Thank you for presenting the conclusion of Evangelion as I feel it should have been.

I can't help but think that my words may be irrelevant, seeing as you have beyond doubt heard these things many times before. "I hope it was enjoyable enough that you did not snap your computer off with a disgusted grunt and swear to never read another Evangelion story again"

Frankly, You have inspired me to pick up my pen and write again, and have given me a small bit of hope that there is indeed still literature worth reading on

With true sincerity,

Zoray Zorial

* I am enjoying 'Touch' even more, and will review in full upon its completion.