Reviews for Fear No Evil
notsolimpbizkit chapter 10 . 4/17
You ended it here?! Pleasee! More! More! I'm absolutely loving this!
notsolimpbizkit chapter 5 . 4/17
Easily my favourite chapter yet!
notsolimpbizkit chapter 2 . 4/17
It's mind boggling how much detail and background you've managed to conjure up for this chapter alone. (Seriously are you a sword maker in real life? *nudge*nudge*)
also I'm curious about the titles of the chapters and would love to hear why you decided on them?
notsolimpbizkit chapter 1 . 4/17
Wakarimashita! He'd do it. A gesture to the new era.
For some reason, this bit is really resonated with me. I can picture the cynicism Shakku Arai has upon hearing the request with gradually gives way for resolve to give back to the new era.
(I see him slapping his knee in a Sano-esque way as he says it!)
Dola chapter 10 . 3/1/2015
please, please, please...UPDATE AND FINISH THE STORY
Lapis Lazuli Ichigo chapter 10 . 6/29/2012
cool, i like it
amamiya chapter 10 . 3/3/2010
This is so exquisitely written; you certainly have a unique and poetic style. I'm very glad I stumbled across it.
skepsis66 chapter 10 . 2/1/2010
Wow... incredible story. It's wonderful how Kenshin is rediscovering himself on his journey. And though his past still reaches out to touch him, he's gradually learning how to live again. It's a shame you haven't updated in such a long time since this is such beautiful writing!
Blunablue chapter 4 . 4/6/2008
I loved those last chapters with Yoshi and Gozaemon... they are very interesting characters with good hearts...

I like the fragile, almost starving Kenshin, who get new energy ("the kid's an athlete") at Gozaemon's home but still is very much caught in the past (the shaving-scene with tomoes tanto was angsty but brilliant). I always like to see Kenshins character through the eyes of others and you did a good job with this... sad, that he had to leave those two so soon but it was inevitable - though he has now found a new spirit to continue his journey.
Blunablue chapter 1 . 3/9/2008
the subject itself is not really new, but you have your very own writing-stlye. it's very, i'd call it "intense" - all those dreamlike (or nightmare-like) scenes, blending together - you really transport kenshins feelings of timelessness and desperation, pointless wandering and days rushing by...

I like the Idea, that he went to see Hiko again ("Go get yourself a stick" lol :D) and i like also the selfpunishment of starvation that he inflicts upon himself, it's a logic result out of his "unworthyness". he seems almost like a hurt, hunted and scared animal to me...

... a very different wandering-years-fic in the positive meaning :) sorry my bad english, greets from germany
Jellybean06 chapter 10 . 11/21/2007
I love this story so far. I'm always interested in reading stories about then ten year gap between hitokiri and rurouni. Please update soon! :)
krachum chapter 10 . 7/5/2007
Like your style!
skenshingumi chapter 10 . 7/30/2006
This chapter is just so sweetly endearing. It is so nice to see Kenshin open himself to love and a sense of purpose and belonging even if only for a brief point in time. A part of me dreads this as the light before some darkening storm that is sure to build around this relationship. It just seems the idea that Kenshin could feel as if he helped someone without risking repercussions is not likely to happen this early in his journey.

I loved the young Kenshin and Hiko interlude. Kenshin is just too adorable for words here and Hiko is appropriately gruff, hiding his warmth and affection while vowing his deshi's well being. How sad that he feels he needs his harshness, “No matter, it was what was required, and to ensure the boy’s life, the man would sacrifice even being loved in return, if it came to that.”
skenshingumi chapter 9 . 7/30/2006
This chapter was short but absolutely chock full of precious nuggets of writing and insight. The opening sets the standard, “He had never known… silent, undemanding companionship; companionship with no hint of foreboding and lacking any stain of shared, regrettable history.” Like Tomoe, it takes another slightly damaged, withdrawn soul to get Kenshin’s attention, to pull him from the “serendipitous pleasure,… the sanctuary” of silence. The fact that the boy beat him to the solitude of the morning seems both a shock and a sign of a kindred spirit. I almost choked with glee at Kenshin’s thoughts on trying to engage Shin’ichi in conversation, “Hm… Is this the kind of thing that Okami used to complain about?” You must have had fun writing that. I like how Kenshin notes he is “uncharacteristically curious” and quietly pushes himself to intrude. You capture the tenuous beginnings of a gently forming friendship quite well.

Beyond this there were two parts of this chapter that I know will stay with me long after the story. The first is the quiet agony and desperation Kenshin faces upon realizing the pain of Tomoe’s absence is not quite so near. “He found this disjointing: guilt, and relief, and uncertainty, and, yes, fear—fear of what this meant, fear that he would forget and lose the only part of his heart that he still valued, fear that he wouldn’t forget and would remain an emotional cripple forever.” Everything about that passage rings true to the pain of surviving a deeply loved one.

The other passage that I loved just seems so quintessentially Kenshin in its strength and calmness and the phrase repetition you invoke in your writing adds emphasis to that. “The walk to the river took all of two minutes, but while he was still quite young, it was two minutes that tested his courage. …it was two minutes of private contemplation, two minutes to center himself, two minutes to connect his spirit with the world and face it in his own way, free from the demands of training and chores.

He loved these two minutes.”
skenshingumi chapter 8 . 7/30/2006
How interesting that Kenshin finds another "different looking" person! He sounds at least partially African with the curly hair, or possibly Persian (there was still a Persia then, right?), the Middle East. Since you mention a Nigerian name in the author's notes, I have to go with my first guess. I would think he would be shunned by a small Japanese village. It will be very interesting to get that back story. In the meantime, you continue to enrich Kenshin’s traveling years by creating these memorable OCs and settings. Japan is so tied to the sea that I greatly look forward to how you will spin Kenshin's experiences in a small fishing village. You spun a fabulous tale of the storm in few words. I like how you capture so much loss in general by examining the closely personal as in the carved name on the gunwale, "nearly crushing what little remained of his [Shin’ichi's] new-broken heart." More, more!