Reviews for Burning the Candle At Both Ends
Fed up mathematician chapter 1 . 12/6/2010
With the exception of Mary-Sue "cleverer than the scientists" Sheppard this was ok. Seriously, doing basic mental arithmatic in your head does NOT make you a genius and I really wish the math deficient people in this fandom would grasp that. The writers of the show themselves confirmed that he wasn't, what more do you need? Also, medical personel have no authority to confine patients like that - Rodney is an adult and it is entirely up to him what care he recieves. Unless Rodney was mentally unable to function and make decisions (and he obviously didn't fall into that catagory) then Carson can advise but not restrict.
Anon chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
For some reason the review I posted below cut off a few numbers - obviously where it says 120 it should say "120" and where it says 0.01% it shouls say "0.01%".

Otherwise a good fic.

Otherwise a good fic.
Anon chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
Oh dear, yet another "Sheppard is smarter than the scientists" fic. Sheppard is a very capable and smart soldier/pilot but the whole thing about him being a math genius is really just fanon. Believe me, I'm a mathematician in real life and I can tell you right now that the math Sheppard displays in the show is very basic mental arithmatic for anyone with a slight head for numbers. A head for numbers does not equal math genius. Qualifying for Mensa does not make you anything more than a smart person - which we already know Sheppard is - NOT a genius. To get into Mensa you need to be in the top 2% of the population - sounds impressive? Consider this - that means there are at the very least 120 people out there who are as smart/smarter than Sheppard. Anyone who can qualify to be a fighter pilot can easily qualify for Mensa. The IQ of anyone qualified to be a scientist on Atlantis would be more in the range of the top 0.01%Do you really think that the scientists on Atlantis who presumably are among the best in the world would need help from a canon non-genius to work out they have transposed a couple of numbers? A basic calculator could tell them that.

If you don't believe me believe the writers of the show, one of whom stated recently that Sheppard is NOT a genius. I believe his words were along the lines of "Sheppard is normal smart and McKay is scary smart". I think it's safe to assume that the rest of the scientists, even if not as smart as McKay are considerably smarter than Sheppard.

The whole thing as been used so much in fic through fans borrowing ideas from each other that many seem to think it is actual canon from the show. Zelenka's secret alcohol brewing being another example, or Sheppard coming from a military family (clearly disproved in season 5).
Super-girl-straight-from-hell chapter 1 . 3/18/2009
... HE HE HE P90 under the pillow ...
msdarque chapter 1 . 11/8/2008
I just love this story! Wonderful writing.
ferryboat George chapter 1 . 3/27/2008
aw, I love friendship stuff.
heartfallen chapter 1 . 11/21/2007
What a sweet story!
JuDei chapter 1 . 11/20/2007
Awesome story! Thanks so much.
LinziDay chapter 1 . 10/18/2007
Nice.
Nanook of the North chapter 1 . 5/1/2007
Great story. Enjoyed it.
ChristalSteele chapter 1 . 12/4/2006
Excellent job good story.
Kel chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
Loved it. I particularly loved Sheppard's method for dealing with middle of the night harassments. I wonder if McKay would come up with something equally inventive?
LdyAnne chapter 1 . 5/19/2006
Oh, that's just lovely!
Sholio chapter 1 . 4/5/2006
Nice story! I particularly enjoyed Beckett's concern and Sheppard's way of needling Rodney into smiling. Very cute.