Reviews for The Likes of You
solsere chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
This is so beautiful! I love the way it really fits into AC!Cloud's there-not-there-semi-lost-perspective. It's really well written and the way you have Cloud avoiding/piecing together/being surprised by his own actions, completely fits him. Reno is just as well done; I love his way of not-exactly-pressuring Cloud but rather... annoying him into confronting things? Tee hee. You really make it work with them together.
Flayne chapter 1 . 4/10/2013
I really really loved this.

'At some point, you wonder when Zack got his name back and someone else became the ubiquitous he in your thoughts and life.' is my favorite sentence in this work. I'm impressed by your ability to say so much with so little words. Thanks for writing this. I love it.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
This is gorgeous. And the fact that you wrote it in second person so beautifully? So admirable.
spiel chapter 1 . 7/25/2012
Wow, this is wonderful! :)
mabidiso chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
Who would have ever thought it would be Reno to teach Cloud to take an interest in living again. Spectacular story.
Kk chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
Oh my goodness this is wonderful... It leaves e absolutely breathless. Really, WOW. Amazing job.
OmnomnomChomp chapter 1 . 1/25/2011
That was so cute .!

Zack...he DIES! But I'm glad at least Reno and Cloud live.

I ABSOLUETLY LOVE THIS STORY!

Keep writing
mandareena chapter 1 . 1/11/2011
So sad but so great.

One of my favorites for sure.

Keep writing, you're good :D
Princess Turk chapter 1 . 12/16/2010
I read this story a while ago but i'm just now catching up on leaving a review. You did a wonderful job here. Your descriptiveness is great, and each word of this story is almost like poetry. Great, great job. Keep up the good work.
aomoa chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
Really good story! :D
Joule Sweet chapter 1 . 7/22/2010
I dislike Final Fantasy with a burning passion (how I ended up here is a mystery :D ), but I loved this story. It was so poetic and wonderfully written. Some of the lines are just heart-breakingly beautiful to the point of tears, and I am pretty jaded as a reader. It's a real testament to your skill as an author, and you should be proud of this work.
mom calling chapter 1 . 9/13/2009
Stories like this always take me by surprise and I'm never quite sure how to respond to them in a review. I have my preferences about pairings and personalities in fan fiction, but I'm willing to go almost anywhere if the writing is as good as this. When I'm in this neck of the woods, this Reno and this Cloud are very touching and I am pleased for them that they can find happiness and safety with each other. You do this so very well. Reno is so persistant. Cloud is so, I dunno, whipped. But they enliven each other...who could deny them this life giving presence? Not me. I am happy for them and thank you for holding open the curtain long enough to let me share their renewal. I think they are both learning how to live again. mc
Sue Dunham chapter 1 . 7/23/2009
It is very interesting how he (Cloud/you) describes sensation without feeling.

Reading this you feel hollow, Cloud feels hollow. You come up with one consistent feeling and it’s woven through everything.

I appreciate how you have Cloud use metaphors to elucidate both to himself and the audience. You also keep us carefully present, so that everything is happening now and the audience is learning just as Cloud does. It isn't a recount -even though it is muted and emotionally barren. All the events have immediacy to them. I am most impressed

You have Reno forcing Cloud into all the moments he would otherwise watch emptily. Cloud is being so passive, too passive, so Reno does things to force him into what is happening. Somehow he makes him care. He makes him participate rather than just ‘going through the motions.’ This Reno of yours is perfectly crafted for the Cloud you have here. You have done an amazing thing.

“It's all this… action. Having to care enough to do something of your own will.”

What a wonderful statement, it subtly embodies everything that has taken place in your story so far. It fits incredibly well and shouldn’t be messed with, but it also isn't needed. What you have written isn't obscure enough to need that clarifying statement. It is all laid out and delightfully easy to grasp, which is an achievement many authors consistently fail at (whether professional or lay). I am supremely impressed. (Not that you are expected care)

I actually feel sort of inadequate just leaving this review.

Bravo
keldjinfae chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
The angst in this was so... palpable, and Reno and Cloud are beautifully in character. I loved this, thank you.
Madamepamplemousse chapter 1 . 3/17/2009
I've read and reread this story multiple times, and it's definitely one of the best stories I've ever read. You have such an amazing style, and I loved seeing the relationship develop between Reno and Cloud. Reno was very much in-character. He was so blunt and unapologetic. Cloud was done very well, too. It was sad and sweet to see him still clinging to Zack after all those years. Overall, absolutely amazing story!