Reviews for The Sorcerer of Rouen
Keyklee chapter 10 . 5/31/2010
Oh Erik is quite the Sherlock Holmes when it comes to examine the note! That scene really reminds me of the Disney version of Sherlock Holmes, where the protagonist, Basil, the Great Mouse Detective, examines a letter and the ink as well as the quality of the paper.

I really love that thoughtfulness of Emily about people touching their faces so much and how she tries to avoid it in Erik's presence.

It's great that she is so smart too!
Keyklee chapter 9 . 5/31/2010
It's great to get Erik's thoughts on Christine. That he wonders what would have happened had he acted differently and how much that question tortures him is a great addition I think. And the way he thinks of love was kind of cute because he seems a bit naive in the way he wonders about some marriages actually not being happy.

I really like Javier, he's such a charming guy, but he seems very loyal and really good-hearted too. No Don Juan. Sophie is very lovely too. I think they'd make a great couple.

It was really great too to learn some more about Emily's past! Poor Emily! That must have been so hard o her!

I love the ending scene again, with Erik being so dangerous and almost scary in his jealousy, and how Javier dealt with it.
Keyklee chapter 8 . 5/31/2010
I love this chapter, it had so many little things that were just wonderful. I love how the attraction both Emily and Erik have for another slowly and subtly grows.

Javier bringing up the option of people considering Emily Erik's mistress was great too. It gave him food for thought, no? I like that she called him attractive, and that he finally seemed to at least confide a bit in her. As long as she not leaves them, I guessher resigning is not so bad after all.

I loved Javier's remark towards Philippe about how good one will find that one is with things when your life depends on it. And I really like Emily's statement about people becoming either fighters or lovers when they're drunk, seems really true!

The ending was so lovely! That gentle intimacy was so beautiful.
Keyklee chapter 7 . 5/31/2010
I really love the picture you paint for us of Rouen, I love all the details and information.

I loved how Erik was counting down the time to Emily's arrival.

Javier and Philippe are so sweet, that was such a funny scene with them both offering to accompany Emily.

I love how you described the way Emily's smile affects Erik.
Keyklee chapter 6 . 5/31/2010
I love Emily comparing Erik's expression in the beginning with the one of a stray animal, it really seems so fitting.

The dream sequence was wonderful! It had a great feeling of both reality and the supernatural.

I'm glad Emily shows that she won't let herself be treated in certain ways, though of course I hope the tears, or something/someone else will be able persuade her to stay.
Keyklee chapter 5 . 5/31/2010
Oh I honestly didn't figure out what she meant with "Mr. Colt" at first either. It's awesome!

I love Erik's urge to protect her coming up here, and how he did not want to see her dressed up like that. It's so sad that he still thinks that it's not only his face that might prevent a woman from wanting him. I love the way you handle his secret longings and despair.

LOL Monsieur Vaudry is such a quirky character, I really like him.
Keyklee chapter 4 . 12/30/2008
I loved the descriptions, the little sidenotes and remarks in this chapter very much. Very beautiful again!

Oh and Javier seems like a very fine character as well!

I love the sensitivity you bring up in your portrayal of Erik, and your wonderful originality in your (many) other original characters.
Keyklee chapter 3 . 12/30/2008
That was a very touching chapter. I loved getting Erik's personal view about his situation, now and before. It was very sad though, especially the part where he asks to be buried with his mask on to face God the way he should have been, or where he mentions he just wanted to have a wife and a family like everyone else.

But as sad as it was, it was written very beautifully!

The part with Emily and the others was very enjoyable and brought me back from the melancholy.

The ending was very surprising. When I read chapters, I keep the titles in mind, waiting for their relevance, but this time I forget it in the meantime and was now quite surprised at Erik's "double life". Love the idea.
Keyklee chapter 2 . 12/30/2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this chapter! I really liked the introductions, and also the people themselves, of those new characters, and getting their view about this new situation and Emily.
Keyklee chapter 1 . 12/30/2008
Oh, only one chapter and already I feel like I'm in love with your story (and your main characters)!

I really enjoyed this chapter and look forward to read more of this story. Your writing style is very appealing also.
tartanspartan chapter 15 . 2/8/2008
The story captured me from the very beginning! And the characters ...well, they're alive! I can see them move and breathe...feel their passion, fear or anger...I love your work!

I'm an avid reader, I currently read books, fanfiction and some forums in internet,but you keep me at the edge of my chair...

Love your Erik (he's so believable)and Emily...I can't wait to see how it all ends... but I don't want the story to end...I want more...

Thanks

Anny
Mels4 chapter 21 . 10/11/2007
Hi - I have been reading Matchmaker for some time now, but had not read any of your other writing. Having just finished "The Sorcerer of Rouen" (great title by the way) I don't know what took me so long to read it! Now I am going on to read "The Shell Game" and hope to read more about Emily and Erik. I loved Emily's character, she was a strong, intelligent woman, but also kind and soft. This was a wonderful story - thanks for sharing it with us! Mels
Nellie Putnam chapter 21 . 8/21/2007
Well Done!

I'm a first time reviewer, long-time reader. Your female characters are truly exquisite with always a wonderful sense of humor. This last chapter was delightful in every way and the only possible, concivable end to such a charming piece. I do appreciate it being slightly off beat: Rouen over Paris, Emily over Meg or Christine...sometimes it gets old.

I admit I didn't like this as much as I like your current piece, "Matchmaker" but you've got a real flare for characters and humor and that in a PhanFic is beyond value.

Bravo!

On a scale of one to ten, I'll give you an 8.5.

Very much looking forward to reading "The Shell Game".

Keep writing, All My Very Best,

NELLIE
Shiomei chapter 12 . 7/31/2007
Hello,

Just a small correction: "madre del dios" is not right. You could say "¡Madre de Dios!" to say "Mother of God". You could also use common phrases like: "¡Dios mío!" ("My God!") or "¡Cristo!" (Christ!). I hope it is of some help!
Shiomei chapter 7 . 7/31/2007
Hello,

Just a small correction here: 'Cheers!' in Spanish is translated like this: 'Salud' and not 'Saludo'. 'Saludo' means 'Greeting'.

The word in French is similar. The french say "Santé" and we, Spanish-speakers use "Salud", as I already explained. Both words can be translated like "Health".

Just thought you'd like to know.