Reviews for house of cards
Jamie chapter 1 . 2/14
This is very good! The imagery and liquid writing are magnificent. it is very easy to read and has deep ideas that make sense. Good job
Aniki-xvi chapter 1 . 12/21/2014
I don't think I've ever read anything that changed my view and understanding of characters until this fic

Applaud, this was greatly done , and thank you for those
Moonlight Serenity chapter 1 . 3/17/2014
This is so phenomenal. It's so well-written and insightful. I love it.
sitabethel chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
You did a good job balancing out the characters and exploring their yin/yang qualities. I also like how you handled the relationship, not abusive, but not sappy and retarded. My favorite scene is when Yami Bakura tries to build his own card house and breaks down after failing. I also enjoyed the part where he sings. Thanks for the good story.
stxrseekers chapter 1 . 10/6/2011
This was gorgeous and captured the characters so well; I especially loved your explanation at the end for the cards you chose. I personally love their deck, mainly because it is about control rather than power. (I'm not a duelist anymore, but I couldn't find anything wrong with your description regardless.)

Thank you for writing this!
Black Satellite chapter 1 . 4/27/2011
This was a lovely read. You didn't go out of character with either of them, and you brought out Bakura's frustration really well. The scene where he tried to make one himself was perfect. Very sad, but very good. The dreams fit in to the rest of the story. When Bakura called for Ryou by yadunoshi, the old fat landlords responding was funny without seeming out of place. And it forced him to call Ryou by his name, which is important. He calls Ryou by the title 'landlord' so often that him saying 'Ryou' is more noticeable. And it seems more intimate!

Thank you for posting this up, I really enjoyed reading it!

-BS
A. E. Stover chapter 1 . 3/20/2011
Oh, what is this I don't even.

I... I can't read this without feeling so inadequate and just... awful about my own writing! This is so depressing, and yet I wouldn't trade this experience for anything else in the world. You have no idea how long I've been going through horrible fanfics in this fandom. To have stumbled upon this gem is just... absolutely marvelous! A treasure!

There's such a delicate and firm tone that you've taken to match the beautiful dynamic you explore between Bakura and Ryou. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it really is beautiful. And, for the first time in a long, long while, the lyrics to a song were weaved into the story almost seamlessly; it felt like they belonged there. I feel like it worked better as I personally didn't know or recognize the song at all (I immediately went to find it upon finishing it) because there was no melody that distracted from thenatural rhythm and flow of the story; I'm not sure how it worked out with other readers who were familiar, but I'm sure the effect only emphasized the beauty of this story.

The moment you began identifying the cards Ryou drew was the moment I began to really love this piece; I had a feeling that it was put together with a specific meaning in mind and that's what became so appealing to me. I immediately thought of T. S. Eliot's use of Tarot cards in "The Waste Land," which fits quite well here, as the occult was used symbolically to express a certain thought, a certain... motif that very quickly revealed itself and dominated the story throughout.

And oh, the dreams! When you presented their dreams, they too were fitted into the story without disturbing the flow, and their simplicity was what helped to emphasize one another's personalities and differences in character. Some writers tend to go a little over the top with their dream sequences, but here you've executed them perfectly! There's not even a single sentence that I would take out to help alleviate unnecessary pressure onto the flow of the story.

Their exchanges, though brief, moved at just the right pace. The simple sentences helped to move the story along and also assisted in creating a sort of... tension? that kept things in light suspense.

I was so pleased with how enticing it was, and with how simple you kept everything. Augh. So jealous, so incredibly jealous ;_;

- A. E. Stover
BirdieInATree chapter 1 . 3/6/2011
I don't normally like boyxboy romance, but this wasn't the stereotypical version that has become all too common. This was very psychological and symbolic, and both Ryo and Bakura stayed in character the entire time. Truly a well-written piece.
LifeInABox66 chapter 1 . 2/23/2011
I love this so, so much. The themes are astounding - and, what's more, internally consistent, which is always good. Bittersweet, and melancholy, and adorable in a subdued sort of fashion. The dialogue is brilliant: insightful and symmetrical, but in a natural way, rather than anything obvious or stilted. The last few hundred words or so were pretty much perfect, with all the motifs combining and culminating in something both original and poignant. Definitely one of my favourite fics.
TexasDreamer01 chapter 1 . 10/22/2010
and it's ironic that this is a japanese show, where the country places some emphasise on the balance of things in everything they do. great oneshot - care to write some more with this theme?

brittney
sunokofairytale chapter 1 . 9/12/2010
Woooow...this is just...amazing. AMAZING!
Fictatious chapter 1 . 7/8/2010
"Enterprises?" Now you've got me curious, how many authors does this fic have? Was it written RP style? This was really good, I enjoyed it a lot. The dual introspective came out really fabulously here. Good job.
ACE-in-Wonderland chapter 1 . 6/27/2010
After reading this, I'm convinced that you are one hell of a storyteller and so freaking intelligent! You had this story mapped out from the beginning, didn't you? I never saw a theme weaving in and out of the words so seamlessly. And your prose was fantastic- it almost had a flowing, gentle rhythm to it. The character analysis you did on both Ryou and Bakura is so amazing, and I'm envious that you're able to pull of tendershipping with such finesse. Simply put, you are brilliant! (And, great job with including Duel Monsters in a YGO fic...how many people actually do that? I'm guilty of often ignoring the card game myself, I'll be the first to admit that!)
wolfen princess14 chapter 1 . 5/31/2010
Wow, this was really good.

I love the balance between Ryou and Bakura, loved the dialog, loved the overall theme that was carried beautifully through the story.

I didn't realize there was a song in the fic, which I'm actually happy about. Too often I find that songs can overwhelm a fic and they don't go well together, so I'm happy it was so subtle here. (I did actually go onto youtube to listen to the song. Never listened to Incubus before, but I liked Echo, a really smooth song. I think I might reread the fic while listening to it.)

After I read your Author's Note, I was amazed by the amount of thought you put into this fic. Not only to research their deck, but to go into that much thought of each of their characters, and how the deck represents both of them, it really shows how serious you were about writing a good fanfiction.

I am happy you made the last card Dark Necrophia since it definitely gives the ending a better feel. I think, had you chosen Change of Heart, it would have come off as cliché, Dark Necrophia keeps with the general feel of the previous cards.

Well, there really is so much more I want to praise you on in this story, but I'll stop here. Please, keep writing, and I will check out more of your work.

~Wolfen Princess

P.S. I just saw that this was published in 2005, I hate giving reviews way after a story was posted but I suppose, since I already wrote it, I'll do it anyway. ;)
incongruent chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
Aww, this was wonderful. The allegory of the house of cards, the comparison and contrast between Ryou and Bakura, the card symbolism— everything about this fic's just so intricate and carefully thought out, more implication than explanation. And the story's told all dark and dreamy and ethereal— the characters seem to be the only thing that really -exist-, everything beyond the main image out of focus and almost as if falling out of existence.

'The deck reflects the duelist' is a fascinating idea in itself, but this fic takes the concept somewhere completely new by literally reverse engineering the characters from the Occult deck. And it works fantastically. I've never -gotten- Ryou and Bakura because there's so much to them that canon doesn't directly explain, but it seems it's found, all there in the cards, all here in this fic.

Awesome concept plus awesome writing plus awesome deck analysis equals awesome fic.
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »