Reviews for The Better Solution
Guest chapter 14 . 10/29/2019
Very much enjoying this story, although I’m w/o hope that it will ever be completed. Sigh. Love how you highlight the probl of relationships—marriage in particular—no matter how great the physical may be, we always want more—more closeness, more understanding, more emotional intimacy, more love. I really like how you’ve used Hermione’s & Severus’s extraordinary intellect to give them insight into the deepest heart of each other. Each also has the humility to begin to accept their own faults & therefore to bear w/faults in others—as so beautifully depicted here w/Severus’s outing w/Remus. Insight & humility (& of course, love) are what will eventually bring them through, I feel sure.

I just couldn’t resist commenting on THIS chapter—Christmas shopping, when Snape says “Just wrap it!” In my head, he HAS to also say (to a shop keep who looks suspiciously like Rowan Atkinson): “And can we be quite quick?” And the shop-keeper says: “Ready in the flashy-est of flashes, Sir.” And of course Snape would HAVE to glare a deadly sneer & say, menacingly, “And NO bloody holly!”

For anyone in the dark—please PLEASE consult the shopping scene in the movie Love Actually in which two wonderful veteran actors depict, w/only a few lines, expressions & actions, all that is hilariously, aggravatingly the WORST about Christmas shopping! I still forward that youtube scene to friends every Black Friday to kick off the Xmas shopping season. It always has me on the floor laughing (but like your scene here, Ms. Authoress, that scene also has a very poignant undercurrent of real hurt, too).

I know life moves on, Ms Authoress—but a great 2019 Christmas present to your readers would be to post even just a few notes of what you had in mind as the ending of this story, even after all this time. I feel like your story, although posted yrs ago, is even more timely now, as it speaks to a real tragic problem of today—so emphasis on the immediate physical side of relationships & increasing frustration w/the lack of true communication & intimacy. I love how you frame the problem instantly w/Snape immediately realizing he’s been too clever by half—he’s finagled his way into getting exactly what he wanted & realizes what he really wanted was much more. A famous Christian religious leader once said that Real Love is desiring for the other person the same good that we desire for ourselves. Both our heroes in this story already have this motivation in their hearts, it’s just a question of how each will find the courage to be vulnerable to show & offer that to the other person.

Gads! An embarrassingly long and schmoopy review, here, but—its just me talking about everything I love about fanfiction & this story!
Guest chapter 14 . 10/29/2019
Very much enjoying this story, although I’m w/o hope that it will ever be completed. Sigh. Love how in previous chapters you highlight the probl of human relationships & marriage in particular—no matter how great the physical may be, we always want more—more closeness, more understanding, more emotional intimacy, more love. I really like how you’ve used Hermione’s & Severus’s extraordinary intellect to give them insight into the deepest heart of each other. That’s what will eventually bring them through, I feel sure.

Was forced to comment on this chapter bc I simply couldn’t resist—the Christmas gift shopping, when Snape says “Just wrap it!” In my head, he HAS to also say (to a shop keep who looks suspiciously like Rowan Atkinson): “And can we be quite quick?” And the shop-keeper says: “Ready in the flashy-est of flashes, Sir.” And of course Snape would HAVE to have glared a deadly sneer & said, menacingly, “And NO bloody holly!”

‘He pocketed his purchase & stalked out...’ —“I don’t need a bag, I’ll just put it in my pocket.” “Oh, this isn’t a bag, Sir.” “It isn’t?” “This is SO much MORE than a bag!” For anyone in the dark—it’s worth your time to consult the shopping scene in the movie Love Actually in which two wonderful veteran actors depict, w/only a few lines, expressions & actions, all that is hilariously, aggravatingly the WORST about Christmas shopping! I still forward a youtube of that scene to all my friends every Black Friday here in America to kick off the Xmas shopping season. It always has me on the floor laughing (but like your scene here, Ms. Authoress, that scene also has a very poignant undercurrent of real hurt, too).

I know life moves on, Ms Authoress—but a great Christmas present to your readers would be to even post a few pages of notes of what you had in mind as the ending of this story, even after all this time. I feel like your story, although posted yrs ago, is even more timely now, as it speaks to a real tragic problem of today—over emphasis on the physical in relationships & increasing frustration w/the lack of true communication & intimacy. I love how you frame the problem instantly w/Snape immediately realizing he’s been too clever by half—he’s finagled his way into getting exactly what he wanted & realizing what he really wanted was more. A famous religious leader once said that Real Love is desiring for the other person the same good that we desire for ourselves. I feel like both our heroes in this story possess the basic kernel of this idea in their hearts, it’s just a question of how each will find the courage to be vulnerable enough to show & offer that to the other person.

Gads! An embarrassingly long and schmoopy review, here, but—its just me talking about everything I love about fanfiction!
Guest chapter 29 . 9/25/2019
Hi. This story got me hooked. I hope you would keep writing it. Is There any chance to it? It leaves so many questions and it is really Nice to see this alternate couple. For me, Hermione and Ron is an awful combination. Snape is so Much more adequate to her. Congrats
Patti chapter 29 . 8/8/2019
It breaks my heart that this is the last chapter
Patti chapter 11 . 8/7/2019
This is a fabulous book and this chapter is the best so far
Guest chapter 29 . 6/14/2019
Please write more. I know you've probably moved on but it's never too late.
Parastyne chapter 29 . 1/31/2019
First of all, I hope you are feeling better again. I really like this story. You made a thorough psychological approach to develop the two main characters. It's a slow burn, and that's what makes it all the more believable. I would really like to know how this story goes on. They will have to begin to talk about their feelings sometime, and I would love to follow them when they begin to understand each other. So if you're better again and in the mood - I really would love to read more of this story!
LFA chapter 29 . 12/9/2018
I love this fic. it’s so interesting! I hope you update it. I love that Hermione is slowly falling for him, and he’s already fallen for her.
LFA chapter 12 . 12/5/2018
I think this has been my favorite chapter that I’ve read so far. I can’t wait to read what happens next in the story. The conversation while they were in the lab seemed much more comfortable between them. That was nice! I’m excited to see how things change and evolve between them. I mean Hermione said herself earlier in the story that she doesn’t care about looks. It was his personality she had a problem with, but she didn’t really know him. She only knew him as her teacher, and teachers act differently in front of their classes than they do in real life. I hope they spend more time in the lab and become closer to one another.
Dani2781 chapter 1 . 12/4/2018
The story your talking about is The Real Answer by flocksofturtles, since you said you couldn't find it.
kate1309 chapter 29 . 8/6/2018
Hey, um, any chance you're going to update? I got pulled in very reluctantly, but now I can't help it. I want more. xD It's okay if you're too busy, just please let me know if you're not planning on continuing it. Though I'd love it if you did. Amazing work. 3
Erimenthe chapter 29 . 6/19/2018
I know it's been years since this was updated, but I do hope you get back to it some day. I do love the intricacies that you've introduced (was Dr. Malfoy related to them?) and there is still so much more to find out. Who was that painting of actually? Was it a witch relative that killed her lover or was it a squib relative that the painting was kept as some kind of reminder? Was the Lady mentioned by Emma just a "friend" that arranged things or was it actually Narcissa Malfoy? If she did die, how and when? I do hope you update soon.
NotEnoughTimeOnMyHands chapter 1 . 6/16/2018
Oh I really like this beginning. The longing and angst.
NYFanFic chapter 29 . 4/2/2018
Hello. I hope you are well. This is a lovely story.
LadyBelladona chapter 29 . 2/25/2018
I think i stuck with this story to see if it would get any better or increase my small interist...it didnt...
The characters i cant help but dislike..Snape...for someone who "loves" Hermione doesnt know how to act or say it...ive read other books when he keeps hjs snarky and dark persona yet shows his true feelings in some way.. this one doesnt...he keeps on calling her a "child" which irritates the frick outta me and all he seems to do is want her for sex...this story is beyond horrid to me..all the best for fututre writings though but im just one of those who cant really stomach this or remember it time to come...good luck.
1,237 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »