Reviews for Rules Of Engagement
Aranya Ver'Sarn chapter 1 . 3/24/2013
THIS was one of THE most awesome experiences of immersion in a story I've ever found!
It really took me there into the battle, into all the gory glory and half-hazy thick of it.
Very intelligently written, and with a heck of an ending. BRAVO!
wanda von dunayev chapter 1 . 6/13/2011
I'm unsure whether you still read these reviews, but just in case, I wanted to let you know how wonderful this is: beautiful from beginning to end, just flawlessly performed, and I can actually *feel* the terror of the battle, which is something that happens so rarely. It's hard to convey how frightening the Scourge really are, and I sometimes forget when I'm mowing them down in Northrend, but damn, you nailed it, from beginning to end.

I don't normally like Jaina, and I definitely do not normally like Jaina/Thrall, but I like the way you write her, and I think I can get behind this pairing when it's presented like this: in subtle, small moments that may or may not point to something more. I buy it when you write it.
Karabas Du Tapis chapter 1 . 3/16/2011
Is it weird that I'm reviewing a story 5 years old?

Anyway, this is brilliant. Battle of Mount Hyjal is by far my favorite event in the Warcraft 'verse and I love how you tell it. the utter confusion, the destruction - it all becomes very real.

I have to say that Jaina's final request at the end is a bit OC perhaps, but then at Hyjal nothing was normal.

Thanks for a good story :)
Crosswood chapter 1 . 7/1/2010
I stumbled across this story a while back, and because I am a bad person, I didn't review it instantly like I should have done. Forgive me! I have no excuses.

This piece you’ve written is a rather excellent story! The first thing immediately noticed about it is the tone, which very similar to the games themselves. If asked, I would describe it as clear desperation - but very intricately mixed in, the characters seem to possess both hope and a kind of bleak fatalism. Considering this story is at most three pages long, the emotional complexity is rather an achievement.

Technically speaking you clearly know your trade. The pace set is perfect. The formatting and grammar make the work flow - a real pleasure to read.

NEW ZEALAND ENGLISH. Ahhh, bliss. ((This fellow Kiwi salutes you and also the greatly underrated letter ‘U’.)) I didn’t spot a single spelling mistake, which means either there aren’t any, or I was distracted by the awesome story. Either way I would count this as a win.

Basically after this long and slightly rambling review, the conclusions we can reach are these: this story is in-character, emotionally engaging, well written, and most importantly it is easy/fun to read. Thank you very much!
Chaos Sparda chapter 1 . 3/3/2008
Was just looking through your profile because I felt like looking through peoples profiles started thinking about getting on WOW and bam I see a Warcraft fic so I'm all Hellz yeah. Anyways I really liked this fic but I've never read any serious Warcraft(aside from the novels) ones so I'm not too certain on this pairing but I like what I see and although unlikely It doesn't seem too far out there. Guess I'll have to go on a search for some WC fics later. Would love to see more from you.
Rukai chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
Brillant, unbelivably great piece of writing. You captured the sheer chaos and intensity of battle and in the midst of it a tender moment. Gah i just love the list line 'it is a good day to die'. Definitely the best warcraft piece i've ever read.
monsley chapter 1 . 10/16/2006
Wow. Just... wow. So amazingly intense. Your descriptions are just breath-taking, and Thrall and Jaina's characterisation is _wonderful_. Thanks for writing.
The Exile chapter 1 . 10/7/2006
beautifully conveyed
Rogue Chimera chapter 1 . 6/8/2006
Oh, my god this was soo cool

i absolutely loved the end paragraph!

twas very surprising that She asked him to bless her. Very nice.
Misha chapter 1 . 1/2/2006
You have a way with words that suits the mood of Warcraft incredibly well. You also have my undying gratitude not only for writing about Thrall and Jaina, but also for doing it so well.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if you're aware of this (though logic tells me you probably are) but "it is a good day to die" is the cheat code for immortality in Warcraft II. *I* know this because I was such a wussy twelve-year-old that I never beat WC II without cheats. Seeing the phrase warmed my geeky little cheating heart a little, whether it was intentional or not.
Llowe chapter 1 . 10/7/2005
Heheh, it's good to know there are Warcraft fans who can write this well! :-P Azeroth never felt so real to me as it did just now when I read Jaina and Thrall discussing methods of burning corpses to thwart necromancers... chilling.
Riana1 chapter 1 . 9/10/2005
This was an arrow through my lungs, painful, bloodly, and precious as every bit of breath taken.
Wyn G. Aarden chapter 1 . 7/24/2005
Wow, I actually found a story I like on relating to Warcraft.

Thanks a LOT for this.

Mm.. Thrall/Jaina. *purrs*
Black Jester chapter 1 . 5/21/2005
I'm not a Warcraft-fan, nor have I ever been, but I must read everything you write and damn, if you haven't done it again.

I don't know the characters and I hardly know the context, but this is once again a show of your brilliance.

It's blood and pain and angst and harsh, cold death, but it's also sparse words wrapped around emotions so powerful that I feel them in my bones, and it's beautiful.

This is exactly the kind of language I strive to achieve in my original fics but fail to reach; there's a depth so deep in-between the lines that you could hide Kraken in there and not find him again, and if I was the least bit religious, I'd be proclaiming you a divinity.

But I'm not, so I'll leave off with saying that you are still and will most probably always be the most innovative and brilliant author that this site has ever seen.
Yavannie chapter 1 . 5/17/2005
Beautifully written. I love your writing style, I believe the story benefits from it. Thrall and Jaina have always been a favorite ship for me. I do hope you plan to continue...?