Reviews for Devil Takes Hindmost
Bowser Jr's Descendant chapter 1 . 9/16/2015
I am...impressed. Very much so. And I will continue to read this: you have piqued my curiosity enough that I want to find out what happens next. And considering that Jarlaxle and Entreri are two of my least favorite characters in Forgotten Realms, that is a major accomplishment.
I take my hat off to you, good sir!
-Philowen Aster (Bowser Jr's Descendant's cousin, who uses his account because she is too lazy to start her own.)
general zargon chapter 15 . 12/1/2010
I really liked this story, especially the insights into Artemis and Jarlaxle's friendship. I also loved the banter between the two of them, and I also fell off my chair laughing at some of it! I think you write the two of them really well, and I loved when Artemis outfoxed Jarlaxle. I wonder how Jarlaxle managed to talk his way out of getting executed? Hmmm...Anyway, please keep up the excellent work!
Guest chapter 16 . 9/11/2009
In all honesty, this is hands-down the best written Forgotten Realms fic I've read (though I do gravitate towards fics with Entreri in them; there could be some heartbreaking works of genius out there about Wulfgar's wacky adventures and I would never know). I loved your characterization of Entreri and Jarlaxle, and the story was well plotted and engaging. The OCs were interesting, but didn't take over the story. It's too bad you're done with FR writings, I would have loved a follow up, but as it stands, I enjoyed this more than I enjoyed PotWK. Thank you for sharing it.
Mechafrog1 chapter 3 . 11/29/2007
but I'm allergic to peanuts! you and your horrible story...

OK I lie, on both counts.
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 16 . 8/3/2006
I enjoyed your story, but it was sad and depressing, and so now I'm sad and depressed. It was also long, and too long in some chapters for me to easily read it all, and you have some long sentences there.
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 1 . 8/1/2006
Very verbose, but good, and I loved the part to death where Jarlaxle tweaks Artemis about coffee and horses. It was almost painful, I liked it so much.
Iceheart Firesoul chapter 16 . 3/5/2006
Whoa... neato. Ok, that was some enlightening stuffs in there. Danke!
Wulfenbach chapter 2 . 3/4/2006
hm, not which drow city recently got snuffed again? ahh that's right, Chesd Nazahd, or however you spell it. the city of shimmering webs. I'm not surprised, there WAS at least one other psionic family in all of the Underdark, though there may be be at least ONE in every drow city in the underdark.
Wulfenbach chapter 1 . 3/4/2006
this fic, so far, in uncannely very much so like the characters are portrayed. ITS PERFECT!
Lord Onisyr chapter 16 . 2/27/2006
I loved hearing about what influenced authors in their writing, so the little behind-the-scenes bits were great. I love how this chapter gives me the feeling that I'm watching the Special Features on a DVD. I can understand why you cut out most of these scenes, thouhg you should have left in the end scene with Jaka. I loved his reactions in that one and the moody atmosphere was great.
Ariel D chapter 16 . 2/26/2006
The part with Jarlaxle and the leech just cracks me up; our drow eye-sore found something as annoying as he is. ;)
Ariel D chapter 15 . 2/23/2006
As you know, I love the ending. You handled their "settling of differences" quite well, with an extremely pleasing touch of growth on both of their parts. Also, the insight into Casteja was fascinating and creepy. I've enjoyed this story a great deal; thank you for posting it.
deletethisreviewplease chapter 15 . 2/12/2006
I'm glad they've... kind of... settled their differences. The part about the coffee was excellent, by the way. Just when Entreri lets down his guard: PFFT! Swill?

Well, I'm kind of sad that this thing is over, y'know? I have nothing to look forward to now! ;_; iEmo.

Oh, and to answer you question: I found this story both entertaining and confusing ;)
Lord Onisyr chapter 15 . 2/7/2006
This was the perfect ending to this story. I loved the kind of dreamy atmosphere the last scene with Entreri and Jarlaxle had, a fitting last scene for these guys. I do feel that Entreri explained much about Vritra that made things clearer, though it will probably take me a while to wrap my head around the whole thing.

I really have to compliment you on the interactions between Entreri and Jarlaxle, the banter was perfectly timed and better than anything RAS has done with them. I guess I'm happy for Jarlaxle that he finally had decent sex with Ashrei "that requires a massuese afterwards" (great line). I was also rather fond of "I knew you wouldn't leave me at the altar."

So Jaka was fully healed? I did find the mention of his presence somewhat abrupt and would like to have seen more explanations on how he got there, though maybe I missed something.

That last scene was deliciously creepy. The descriptions were well done, though I am still trying to fully understand exactly what was going on with Vektch.

Overall, a very wonderful story. I recommend a period of rest after this for at least a while.
hakatri chapter 15 . 2/7/2006
Another chapter... can't say that I'm in any way displeased:)

So they both had some personal growth to go through, a process which you showed in a very detailed and interesting manner. I'll probably read it all in one go again, so that I can catch everything you put in:)

The last scene is comforting and unsettling at the same time, but a very nice finish all in all.

And now I'm ginna be late for my lecture...