Reviews for Princess Diaries
TesterTeaser chapter 36 . 8/22/2017
This is an amazing story! I recently started rereading the Chronicles of Prydain with my sister, and I love seeing a perspective of what happened with Eilowny during Taran Wanderer. I've decided this story is basically canon.
I am also in love with Rhun. Like, he is beautiful and I nearly cried when (spoilers for the High King for any people reading the reviews who haven't read it for some reason) he died. Like, he was finally becoming something and he was so excited for the future and had such plans (and now he has Maelona waiting for him too) and he just... dies? C'mon, Lloyd Alexander, c'mon!
Anyway, I love this story and will probably be back to read it again and again.
I also want to say I've read some of your oneshots and thought they were amazing as well.
Guest chapter 15 . 8/3/2017
I like that you have Eilonwy making some female friends. The fact that she and Achren are the only female characters who rate as more than extras in the books is probably the Prydain series' greatest flaw. I suppose the most charitable way to look at it is that the whole thing is written from Taran's POV, except for a few chapters in THK, and the princess and the witch queen are the only women who strongly impinge on Taran's attention during the course of the stories.

I think there was a tendency among twentieth-century fantasy writers who drew inspiration from Victorian-era translations and interpretations of Celtic, Nordic, and Greco-Roman myths and medieval legends like those of King Arthur, Robin Hood, and Roland/Orlando to assume that Victorian separation of men and women into separate social worlds was more prevalent in ancient and medieval times than it really was, because that was the way the Victorian writers misrepresented it, assuming as humans will that the customs of their own particular time and place were eternal and universal. LA was probably influenced to an extent by that literary tendency even if the Mabinogion itself did feature more prominent female characters.

I'm interested in your interpretation of the destruction of Llyr. Will the agent of that destruction be revealed later in this story, or in "Sunrise?" And if not, have you decided yourself who that agent was, or left it mysterious even in your own head?
Mantis FA chapter 10 . 8/1/2017
That's a very good explanation for why Eilonwy knows the things she does about Llyr, despite not remembering any details of her own life before Spiral Castle. I'm kind of chagrinned that I never thought of it before; we know that Achren's magic can mess with people's memories, of course, since she did it after re-kidnapping Eilonwy in TCoL. If that was her MO the second time she abducted the girl, why wouldn't it have been the first time as well? And this is exactly how I'd expect that to work, too: forcing someone to block out all of their episodic memory before a certain time wouldn't fundamentally change their personality, or erase the declarative and procedural memories of facts and skills they learned before the block.
Mantis FA chapter 9 . 8/1/2017
I wonder if "Taran could have beaten any of them" is Eilonwy embellishing her memory of the boy she loves, or simply an accurate assessment of his prowess at this point? I'm guessing the latter, actually. By this time Taran would have grown to his full height, and would be in excellent physical shape from the various strenuous activities inherent in farm life; he'd also have trained enough with such warriors as Coll, Gwydion, and Fflewddur that he would be a formidable swordsman.

The mention of kelp reminded me of an old photograph of me with Amber Kerr; I posted it on Facebook and tagged you.
CairbreLifechair chapter 36 . 5/22/2017
I finished this last night, and I just wanted to say, excellent work. I've thoroughly enjoyed getting back into the world of Prydain after not having read the books in a while. I thought you did a good job of fleshing out the story while still staying in character. I like how you (and Lloyd Alexander) make Eilonwy an interesting, relatable character who, although she is in love, doesn't seem like she exists solely to provide a love interest for the lead. Take the romance away, and she's still a compelling character, is what I'm trying to say. I'm inspired to try harder to do the same in my own novel I'm trying to write, which is a fantasy/adventure/romance. After reading the Princess Diaries I'm inspired to add more depth to my own female protagonist, while still keeping the fun romance.
GrumpyCat503 chapter 36 . 3/13/2017
I only recently started using a fanfic account and I wanted to tell you that I love this story so much! Please continue!
Thegreypoet chapter 36 . 7/12/2015
Looking forward to the next chapter. :)
I stumbled across these stories by seeing you favourited in one of the authors whom I follow.
AdventuresInTheSueniverse chapter 36 . 11/2/2014
Pleas update:)
AdventuresInTheSueniverse chapter 31 . 11/1/2014
Oh, gods. That was intense. It was still pretty awesome though :)
AdventuresInTheSueniverse chapter 16 . 10/31/2014
Gods, I can't imagine what Mae will do when Rhun dies! The thought of it makes me want to cry. T_T
prankprincess123 chapter 36 . 1/29/2014
can you please update this story? it is so well written it would be a shame to leave it unfinished.
Guest chapter 36 . 9/19/2013
Just found this a day or two ago...following to get the updates, of which there need to be some.
Belac77 chapter 1 . 7/2/2013
Excellent! I just finished reading Taran Wonderer, so I am excited to see how my favorite character Eilonwy spent her time at the palace while Taran was galavanting around Prydain.

WHEN WILL YOU POST MORE?
Guest chapter 36 . 6/29/2013
Will this story be finished? I'm curious as to whether or not he does get married, or if this is going to follow the storyline set in The High King (where Rhun dies).
Toaofwriting chapter 36 . 2/26/2013
Wow, this is a really good story, I love reading it. I hope you will be able to update soon. I'm looking forward to the ball scene.