Reviews for Of Darkness, Magicians, and Madness
AnElusiveDreamer chapter 2 . 6/24
This paints a great portrait of both of the magicians and adds nicely to their characters.
Nelja chapter 2 . 1/3/2009
I really love these character studies. They are very well written, both coherent with the universe and adding new ideas. Jonathan's madness is a good idea, very well described ; the mix of repulsion and want for the Raven King has strength. I loved the evocation of Norrell's past love too. An of course, their relationship is wonderful. :-)
visualpurple chapter 2 . 6/13/2008
I like it. Your chapter about Norrell doesn't seem very much like him, but that's okay. Strange's narration fits his character better. Lots of angst, but that's also understandable. I have to say that this is one of the better JS&MN stories on fanfiction, at least.
Amanda Saitou chapter 2 . 1/30/2008
Hi! I'm just through half of the book, but here I was looking for some fics of the book when I found yours... well, it's so very good that I even didn't mind the spoilers in it! The speaking fits perfectly both characters, and I already imagined the end of both would be something like that... wonderful writing indeed, and have added to my fave list!
Zallah chapter 2 . 9/2/2006
Parts of this are really not how I imagine Strange and Norrell, and in fact contradictory in certain ways, but then in other ways your interpretation runs parallel to mine - particularly Norrell speaking to Strange at the end. Nonetheless, your story does give me a few things to think about concerning their characters; thanks for that, and for the desperately lacking JS&MN fanfiction.

On Norrell:

'... he was the sort of man who had been old at seventeen.' - p. 24

On Norrell and Strange together:

'"[Mr Norrell] is a magician first and everything else second - and Jonathan is the same. Books and magic are all either of them really cares about. No one else understands the subject as they do - and so, you see, it is only natural that they should like to be together."' - Arabella, p. 779-80

So that's where some of my principle impressions come from: two brief quotes barely examining one facet of their characters. ;)
The Little Dark One chapter 1 . 12/2/2005
This was good, I think the reason no one has written a Strange/Norrell story before is partly because not many people seem to know about it (that I know of), and secondly that it is so well written a book, people would find it hard to match.

I hope people will start to write more stories about it, I'll certainly give it a go. I've always wanted to know what happens to them afterwards, and the way you seem to get in tehir minds is great. Looking forward to seeing or adding more to this category. Good Luck and well done

-The Little Dark One
Idril Silmaril chapter 2 . 11/30/2005
Wow. I thought this was excellent. I liked how you got into the minds of both Strange and Norrell. Very nice job. However, I do believe you need to fix some aspects of your punctuation and grammar, but apart from that, excellent work. I wonder why yours is the only one? *sighs*
Legolas'Mistress chapter 2 . 6/6/2005
HI. Very well done. I am very much acquainted with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and I frankly don't understand why nothing has been done about them on Maybe its above all the rest of the authors. hmm. Perhaps some of us could ban together and start writing fics about them. Shame it isn't a popular book on this site. Well, keep at it and continue to write those fics, (maybe a lone author will someday make a huge statement). Hey, I would help out if I had a demmed account.

L.M.