Reviews for Wonderland Series, Part 1, Pawns
TOSoldtimer chapter 1 . 3/29/2015
I very seldom read any fanfic but Trek and Rurouni Kenshin, but since I have been rereading your excellant FICs, I decided to give U.N.C.L.E. a try. The story is excellent ; not surprising it won a FANQ. You did such a wonderful job of getting into a young Ilya's mind. The pervasive fear and privation of living in a dictatorship during the repressive 50's. ( I remember the 50's; it was a bit repressive here too, especially for blacks, women and liberals like my parents. )
It's hard to believe we are still watching "Ilya" perform autopsies on TV when Leonard Nimoy is gone.
Moving on to the next story in the series.
Aileil chapter 1 . 10/1/2013
Thank you so much for this very insightful story. It is also somewhat amusing to see the beginning thoughts of two people who eventually became fast friends :).
karonkgb chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
This world you have written haunts me from the real days of the World So Cold even air was froze in place. Keep writing.
Betsy Darken chapter 1 . 6/21/2007
You've done a very good job of conveying the oppressive nature of the Soviet system, and even (to some extent) showed why there was loyalty. The driving fear, but also the fact that Soviets knew no other order.

It would have been tantalizing to see some of Illya's potential, but it was probably good not to tip any cards...yet.
trecebo chapter 1 . 7/12/2006
I held off on starting this series, mainly because I scanned over the titles too fast. Lo, I have arrived. I am a fan of MFU, Illya being my favorite. *sigh-David McCallum* Anywho, I am off to read the rest of this series...
owlcroft chapter 1 . 6/11/2005
Wonderland is wonderful stuff. Can't wait to read the rest of the "series". Well-written and imaginative.
Hadschi Halef Omar chapter 1 . 6/10/2005
Wow, I really liked your stories - by now I've read all of the wonderland series. Although I've read other origin stories here that give different backgrounds for Illya, it was interesting to see your perspective (and I don't know enough about him to say they're contradicted by canon, so I have no problem with it.)

Your style of writing, the descriptions and the internal thoughts and feelings of the characters are really good and well-written. It also feels as if you've done a lot of research on Russia and that period, since you use many russian words, and I really like that you don't paint the soviets as just baddies. It's very nice to see somebody take some time to write a good story.

Also, to follow the developments in an AU from story to story (nice touch with the bathrobe, e.g.) and spotting the subtle inside-references ... I like that.

I hope you continue writing, so I can read more of your stories!