Reviews for Cold
Guest chapter 3 . 9/26/2014
Lovely story and much appreciated the look at a less harsh and cruel Denethor than is usually protrayed. This scenario is much more realistic with Denethor's view of his sons twisted over time and circumstance.

The giving of the mantle to Faramir was touching and the humourous ending was just the right touch to a largely serious story. Well done!
WhyMustIWrite chapter 3 . 6/8/2013
I love that you chose a more sympathetic characterization for Denethor. The movies warped him and greatly exaggerated his flaws, and it's easy to lose who he was in the books. I appreciate that you showed how he had difficulty connecting with Faramir, but by no means dispised him. (And also lampshaded how unlikely it is that Findulas died bc of Faramir's birth, considering that her death happened five years later.) My favorite moment was Denthor's fear & grief when he considered that he may need to bury his own children. I also love that he felt conflicted about Boromir's promotion, and regret that his positon in gov't and current situation left him w no other choice but to send his sons to war. You don't ignore how terrible and difficult it would have been to be a Lord of Gondor in the latter days of Sauron's attacks. And, of course, I love that you explain just how Faramir came to possess his mother's cloak. Thanks for sharing this story!
Saren-Dipety chapter 3 . 3/27/2013
OH THAT WAS SO CUTE! I loved it! You did really good! I was kinda wondering how old Faramir is though... GREAT JOB! I WANT MORE!
Omnicat chapter 3 . 12/27/2006
That was very touching. *snifs* I liked it.
Elven Fish chapter 3 . 12/10/2006
I'm just dropping this review to put this on my Favorites list. I already actually reviewed as Gwynn.
Gwynn chapter 3 . 12/3/2006
Ha, ha, ha, ha, this will definitely be one of my all-time-favorite fics! It's written marvelously, has a splendid plotline, and the characters were wonderful.

You have some of the best quotes I've ever come across. This one cracked me up. "'Oh, right," Denethor snorted. "And what would you have preferred: the sight of me singing tavern songs in that place?'" Excellent!

Thank you for making my night. I am excited to read more of your fics.

~Gwynn
Gwynn chapter 1 . 12/3/2006
Aw, I love it! It's very sweet, and I feel so badly for Faramir. Being an adolescent is completely rotten: all those mood swings, feeling awkward, and just being an overall wreck at times.

Denathor is wonderful in here. I wish he was always like this. I wonder what happened to him, what made him so cold.

I just had say that this line was splendid: "'Are you implying we should share it?' he said, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips." So funny!
Rugi chapter 3 . 7/31/2006
Love love love Denethor's reaction (especially about finding out later who was spreading the nasty rumors - so very Stewardly). And I think you got Faramir right too - he understands all of his father's burdens and tries not to burden him anymore. I am glad that you ended it with them making a connection.
Rugi chapter 2 . 7/31/2006
Interesting and delicate way of showing how grief can change over time.

And also that Denethor doesn't really have the easiest time of it as a parent what with having to raise his sons alone, govern a nation, and fight the ultimate evil all at once. It's no wonder that he ended up a little wanting as a father.
Rugi chapter 1 . 7/31/2006
I really love how you portray young-Faramir and Denethor's relationship. You don't turn Denethor into a mean, unloving person but you do show how he could become distant from his son and how he has a difficult side.

But you also keep it sweet. It's great.
Grievous daydreamer chapter 3 . 3/12/2006
Aww so cute! *thinks about little Faramir* sque!
phylitr chapter 3 . 12/28/2005
It's a beautiful story. I love the comment about the gown and lettuce!
Hahukum Konn chapter 3 . 12/5/2005
Denethor is fairly OOC in this fic, but it helps make your punch line in chapter 3 all the more amusing. :)

I suppose this could be considered AU, but it's a nice look at how Denethor and Faramir could have gotten along.
Heri Tavaril chapter 3 . 9/12/2005
I love the ending of this. It is very clever of you to come up with Denethor having a humerous line.
steelelf chapter 3 . 6/11/2005
This is one of my favorite stories, EVER!