Reviews for A War That Isn't Ours
PFC henderson chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
I love your story. I agree 100% that this isn't our war but as you have Kenshin saying in the story we fight it to make a better world for those at home. I hope you hate war, but I also pray you support those who fight.
Freedom Phantom chapter 1 . 9/22/2009
I understand, really. But, sometimes it is unavoidable. There are at times when we must fight. I don't say that Irak was legetimate, it wasn't, but that isn't the case with all wars. Some wars really cannot be avoided. But yes, war is horrible, but not the worst. The person which has nothing he is willing to fight for, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is nothing more than trash and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the sacrifices of better men than himself. I'm sure you understand. Peace and Love.
phoebe chapter 1 . 10/2/2005
i'm by no means a pacifist, nor am i really appreciative of political activism through fanfiction (it just seems so...well weird)...

that being said, i think that the attempt was admirable and speaking your mind is important...

My complaints about the fic, which are totally meant to be constructive about charactarization and -Not- political support for the war (please do not read it that way) are this

being a military brat myself i can understand the feelings you are trying to portray, but... both combined with my experience of the military family/community and the characterization of Kaoru throughout the series

i think she would have been much more supportive of kenshin's decisions and his participation in the military/war (echo's of Seishohen -which i cannot spell- While she was sad that kenshin was leaving she understood how important it was to him and always had a smile and support for him...)

slightly more minor things that bother me about the fic: deployed military personel come back home far far more often than you have portrayed (even if they serve extensions of their tours)

and to have all the surrouding characters (saito, sano, etc.) either die or return severely injured is changing the facts to support your beliefs and statistically unlikely.

third..."we're a thousand miles away from there, we're as safe as can be here. They don't bother us in any way. We're happy the way we are why can't we just stay this way?" kenshin would be fighting to make sure it stays that way.

and the distance doesn't really seem to matter

my father's office was destroyed in the pentagon not 30 miles from my house and regardless of wether 9/11 and iraq are linked - 9/11 did prove that we are no where near as invulerable as we like to think that we are.

again, despite all of what seems like arguments to the contrary, i think the anti-war stance is worthy of respect

but be careful of your portrayal of the characters you've chosen to act it out as well as more attention to fact vs. popular anti-war myth -doing those things demeans the arguement and dillutes the story.

you can be totally true to life and still anti-war

and from a fiction writing perspective it opens up a much higher possibility for angst/drama in really touching ways.
A Piece of My Heart chapter 1 . 9/18/2005
OY...this story hits a little to close to him. This will probably be a long rambling review, but at the moment I'm feeling slightly sentimental and emotional, so I can't help myself. I guess it was worse reading it in this story, since it is about characters that we all know and fell in love with. I am just so thankful that no one in my family is over there fightin gand the marines and service people I do know have been lucky enough so far and got transferred to Okinawa instead (a much mor epreferable place of residence in my opinion! _). I must admit that I have mixed feelings about this war... I know it's supposed to be for our countries good and yet I can't see how. I read a story once of a young girl whose father went off to Iraq to help with construction work or the like since the family was desperate for money. Months later she got to watch him be beheaded on national tv. I guess that just hit close to home since she was my age at the time, 16. I hope it's over soon. I am glad you wrote this story. People these days are so afraid to express there feelings on such a taboo issue as this. But then again, strong government never did like the great writers, only the minor ones. I am afraid I ranted too much about this issue. It's no surprise if you look at my bio ::sweatdrop::

Your friend,

Naomi

PS. A line from a poem I think goes quite appropriately with this story.

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest

To children ardent for some desperate glory,

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.(It is sweat and proper to dy for one's country)"

-WILFRED OWEN, Dulce et Decorum Est
aquafinaSEK chapter 1 . 7/28/2005
Normally I'm into romancy stories but this story is really good. I can tell how sad everyone is and everything. I think it's really meaningful, but not exactlly the best for people w/ friends or family in Iraq, but like u said, people r entitled 2 speak their minds. keep writing!

PS Longest review I've ever written some cheesy things in it but i mean what I say!
Jazzy Uchiha chapter 1 . 7/8/2005
this one was so sad, but i loved it, none the less
XKenKao12X chapter 1 . 6/22/2005
This story truly touched me...Its so sad...i really am against war too...but not all wars..some were nessary and some weren't...just like Iraq...those soldiers are over there thinking,"Why the hell am i here?" their dying for no damn reason...damn politics...keep up the good work!

*XKenKao12X*
BlueberryStain chapter 1 . 6/16/2005
It's a really wonderful fic and I hope that you will continue working on it if that's what you intend on doing.
Crystal Snowflakes chapter 1 . 6/15/2005
That was...very touching. I'd love to elaborate more on my review, but unfortunately, I've gotta head to school. Great job though, I hope you write many more wonderful stories.
lolo popoki chapter 1 . 6/14/2005
This was a very moving story... I used to be in the army myself, and I have friends who are deployed over in Iraq right now. I agree entirely about your opinions of war, especially this one; all of our poor soldiers getting killed, and for what? A politician's idiotic whim... We had no right to be over there in the first place, trying to meddle in their country's affairs. It wasn't any of our business. Damn politics... Good job on this!
Doctor Kiba chapter 1 . 6/14/2005
I love it...it made me a little teary eyed and I hate the war also...I just hate it! I love how you portrayed it through Kaoru...Kenji found it in my graduating year...interesting...I do love your story...
open-your -eyes101 chapter 1 . 6/14/2005
Your fic acually hurt my heart i think that means i might cry. My dad went to iraq and i didnt think anyone would write about that. Thank you for writing this i am completle 100% against war its so stupid killing people just to get somthing .I dont know what i would do with out my father and i pray hes ook so thankyou again for writing this it was good your a good writer and you Alexecka-san email me somtimes
starry night blue chapter 1 . 6/14/2005
That was damn touching! I really liked it! Call me sick but I thought it was amazing!

Good work, ST!