Reviews for Twisted Hearts: Tough Love
epicgreymon chapter 1 . 3/20
Wow this is awesome Robin is so badass
Sailor Pandabear chapter 1 . 1/16
nice
JRC chapter 1 . 1/11
I can't remember the last time I posted a review. But that story was...amazing. It was truly awe-inspiring. I can't remember the last time I read a fan-fic that GOOD. I just had to let you know. Thank you...and keep writing!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/2/2014
It was awesome
Lord Malachite chapter 1 . 11/29/2013
I wanted to take some time to respond to your beautiful story. I think that Terra has a tendency to get short-changed in the fandom. There seems to be a strong tendency to dislike Terra, either because she gets in the way of pairings others prefer, or people just hate on her for the role she played as a traitor. And yet, I feel that despite Terra's short number of actual appearances in the series, she had a great deal of development. She was so three-dimensional, and the fragility of her character shone brilliantly in her writing, her design, and Ashley Johnson's vocal performance. Terra is a girl I've never been able to stop myself from falling in love with, because everything about her is so earnest and pure. Her heart is on her sleeve, her hopes and dreams of ordinary happiness ring true, and it's easy to see how she fell into darkness in her attempts to find happiness.

I was immediately drawn to your story because it focused on a Robin/Terra tandem. Through my own writing, I've become something of a closet Robin/Terra shipper. Now, I wouldn't accuse your story of being a pairing story for a moment-and indeed, one thing I believe that we share is our belief that it isn't really the point. Everyone writes stories about their favorite pairing falling in love. Myself, I'm writing one on how to make it work-how to live with the choices of the heart. But, I'm not here to advertise my work-I'm here to praise yours.

This is a story of love you've written, and the narrative follows Robin's true character to a hilt. It always bothered me how easily Robin seemed to get over Terra. It doesn't matter whether or not she redeemed herself in the end of the Aftershock episodes-it couldn't ever be that easy for Robin. Terra was his responsibility. He should've seen the signs-not just that she was working against them, but that she was in trouble. How many times did she beg him to save her. Not with words, but in every other way. Terra is Robin's greatest failure, he would never just get over it. He would blame himself, agonize over it, obsess to no end, keep running through everything that happened and finding what he could've done differently to save her. Those aspects of Robin's character, they are what make your story so uniquely powerful. What you wrote rings far more true than the source material, and I would go so far as to say that the events as you tell them are what should have happened.

Everything that Robin does to Terra in this story is brutal, but it's not out of malice or revenge. It's what is required to make her understand. Robin truly loves her-and not just in the way a man loves a woman. As you wrote, Terra is so much more than that. She is family. She is so much like the rest of them, and she's been hurt so very badly in her life. Robin never really sees her as the monster she tries to pass herself off as. And he is willing to do whatever it takes to rescue her from the clutches of Slade. How can he not, when his own family once did the same for him?

My greatest regret is that I can only read this story for the first time once. It's my gold standard for Terra fanfics, and I'm very grateful that it was so Robin centered. While I do firmly believe in the bond that Terra and Beast Boy share, I have come to find that Robin and Terra are profoundly linked, are bonded, and go hand-in-hand. No one else is capable of understanding Slade like they are. No one can. No one should have to. And that is precisely why Robin would be the only one truly capable of saving her, and perhaps losing himself to her in the process. And perhaps it is best that way.

I know that you wrote this story eight years ago, so I've no idea at this juncture whether you'd bother to give a response. I'll wager you've probably moved far on from this. But as a fellow reader writer who is currently in his mid-thirties, I'd love to have the opportunity to speak with you about this work at greater length. If you're willing, I hope you'll reach out to me.

Thank you again for your beautifully written and powerfully moving story,

Lord Malachite
Caimthehero chapter 1 . 8/23/2013
Great story. Definitely a lot of angst but it is balanced with good dynamic between the characters
themergitonian chapter 1 . 7/30/2013
Great story.
GenderBender25 chapter 1 . 6/28/2013
BadassRobin...i like. I like it mue much.
Kaplan Au chapter 1 . 3/8/2013
Oh
my
god
...

That was freaking intense.

Wow.

Fantastic job and just wow.
DaGunth chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
That was quite possibly the longest fight scene that I've ever seen done well. It had a good mix of descriptive action and emotional involvement- I know I'd never be able to write something like that. Kudos.
EdeatheDemonFox chapter 1 . 12/27/2012
...This was so...amazing, heart-wrenching, beautifully written, most savage thing I have ever read. I agree with you completely on how Robin would fight harder to save her than he did in the cartoon. But he was so vicious yet in a way I think it was the only way to snap Terra free from Slade's control... ;n; Still doesn't change how flipping motherfreaking sad this was, though. I absolutely loved the depth, emotion and detail in this. I like really want a sequel. ;W; I also really like what you did with Terra's backstory. Just...so amazing and sad, truly. My words cannot suffice! DX
BiblioMatsuri chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
Dear... I honestly don't know what to say. Whoa.
Concolor44 chapter 1 . 9/5/2012
"cacophonous apocalyptic eradication"

Oh, My Lord! That ... that phrase ... is just ...

Wow.

I am reminded of the work of Edward E. Smith, PhD, a prolific writer from science fiction's Golden Age. He had a way with hyperbole that I have admired for decades.

- - - - -

Whoa.
"The thing I have, the thing that you lack so completely, is resolve Terra."
THAT, my friend, is just beautiful.

- - - - -

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

Yes, I've been here. Have I ever!

This goes DIRECTLY to Favorites, not passing 'GO', but instead collecting 200 kudos. I mean, seriously ... one of the best stories I've read in a while.

Holy moly.

That was The Most Intense examination of Terra's mind and motivations that I've ever seen. Masterfully done! I'm something of a Terra fan myself, and ... well, now I can see that I only DABBLED with exploring her psyche. YOU, O Wordsmith, have achieved dominance!

Sitting here with a silly grin, in utter satisfaction, I salute you.

-Concolor44
Daddy's Little Pyro chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Man, this was crazy. But I loved every dark, twisted moment of it. Especially Robin. Robin kicking ass is always appreciated.
En Satsu Koku Ryuu Ha chapter 1 . 6/30/2012
Wonderfully written. I saw this recommended on a forum and decided to check it out. I personally didn't like Tera in the cartoon. But this adds so much depth to her character. I can't not like her at this point.

Thank you for the great read.