Reviews for Dark Times
One Thousand Rains chapter 57 . 10/3
You must overcome your writer's block, and finish this story. Racas/Evil?Luke must rise, must contest with Vader for Sheevy's affections, Vader and Racas must discover and rediscover their relationship (because, at its heart, this was supposed to be a father-son fic according to your summary and so far we have seen more of Rhovan's interrogation methods than any actual father-son stuff in these 57 chapters), and eventually, Luke Skywalker must rise. Because honestly, you dedicated 57 chapters to completely, slowly, and surely destroying Luke Skywalker - his sanity, his innocence, his reputation, and even his memories. He needs to come out of all this stronger than ever, needs to return from the darkness brighter than ever, for complete closure.

This, alongside Black Squadron, is the greatest SW fanfiction I have ever read. And you've left it at a climax. For 5 years now.

Come back. Fulfill your destiny. Finish what you started.
ZileRacer chapter 57 . 6/29
This story is so good. Please finish it :(
ZileRacer chapter 27 . 6/25
DUN DUN DUUNNNNNN
ZileRacer chapter 12 . 6/23
One thing I really love about this story is how we get to see Luke really believing Vader killed his father. We get to see into his mind and understand why it was so horrific for him when it was revealed.
ZileRacer chapter 10 . 6/23
Artoo really is the MVP of this story
Kay Hau chapter 57 . 5/27
Excellent story! Extremely powerful and truly worthy of being called an epic. Masterful storytelling and incredibly well written! Well done and looking forward to the continuation and eventual ending!
ASnowFern chapter 57 . 5/12
Omg. This story is absolutely fantastic. For a good many chapters, I was really hoping that Vader would swoop in and save his son from the Alliance. The ingrates for treating him like garbage after everything he has done for them. It seemed like he would fall just as Anakin did. Because the Alliance needed him but didn't trust him. Just like the Jedi did with Anakin.

But this, this is worse. This is not even a conscious decision on his part. While I guess Luke wouldn't remain Palpatine's puppet for long, he would definitely start to wreck havoc on the rebels soon. Before being brought back by the Vader, Leia and Han, Obi-Wan and Yoda (of course, they could just have been referring to Leia instead of Luke). Even by Thecla and Rhovan. Probably not Rhovan, that stinking triple agent. I have to say, you wrote Rhovan perfectly. Led us to believe he is just a ruthless pragmatic rebel leader. Too cliche to actually be the Emperor's agent. And then BAM! Everyone is under the Emperor's control. Fantastic writing.

Such an amazing story! I hope you may one day return to it! I know I will definitely return to this story someday. No matter how difficult it was to read. My poor heart bleeding for Luke :(
Siemsen chapter 57 . 4/29
I did not expect this story to unfurl like this when I first started reading, but boy, has it exceeded my expectations! It's been gripping throughout, and so well-written that some moments actually felt painful
to read (especially Luke's trial- boy, was that an emotional rollercoaster!). I really liked Luke's final words to Vader, and I like how his death was akin to one final act of defiance. Now that's he's been revived, it'll be interesting to see how this goes. I hope Luke will still put up a fight against the Dark Side (or at least, against Palpatine), and I wonder if he'll remember that Vader's his father when they next meet...
I liked your OCs as well, and Rhovan in particular is well-written, although admittedly I couldn't stand him at the beginning (even though I understand his rationalisations) and I still absolutely despise him. Not gonna lie, at times it feels like this story is basically the galaxy vs. Luke (although thankfully Leia, Han and Chewie are there to support him... or, they were at least)... to the point where I actually wanted Vader to just wipe out the whole Rebel Alliance (especially when High Command was questioning Luke just after his rescue, with his torturer in the room...).
Anyway, can't wait to see what you have lined up next!
MildlyMiffed chapter 57 . 4/25
Hoh boy where to start.

Okay, so it's like, day 40 of self-isolation due to the COVID pandemic. Crazy times, amirite? Not sure what kind of preventative measures are in place wherever you are, but I've been cooped up in my apartment for going on six weeks and have spent a lot of that time revisiting some old stories in attempts to pass the time. And honestly, I don't really have many Star Wars faves. I'm a little unclear how I ended up stumbling upon this story. 230K words? Written over the course of 10 years? I'm pretty sure I had this open in my tabs for a couple weeks, both intrigued and intimated.

That said! I have now spent the last week and a bit reading and boy oh boy it's been a fantastic way to spend my time in the evenings. This is an amazingly complex, masterfully interwoven story! I'm amazed at the depth and detail and how much work was put into this. It's clear that you have intimate knowledge of the Star Wars characters and universe and you're passionate about writing and storytelling, and I just wanted to tell you that it really did all come through in this story. This is amazing work, and I'm very glad to have read it!

As someone who's at most peripherally aware of the Star Wars universe, I can say with certainty that beyond the main squad, I couldn't tell who was a canon character vs. original character. I loved seeing the author notes with credit to some of the shared OCs. It was always a surprise! All characters were realistic with complex motivations. The twists shocked me, as I was always double-thinking who was up to what, and where people's loyalties were. Thecla? Rhovan? Heslam? Even Luke, Leia, and Vader? You did so well with just giving enough information to make me go hog-wild with theories.

I really, really liked the portrayal of Luke's slow, agonizing fall. The climax at Ra'imar? Stunning. The battle and decision at Cusrean? Chilling. (I really really loved that Luke's reaction to destroying the base was teased and twisted throughout the next arc of the story. Good shit.) The caputre and trial at Horaarn? Heart-stopping in all the best ways. (I wanted Luke to fall into hysteria so bad you don't even know.) And I loved that Horaarn ended with Luke getting shot (and killed) and Vader dropping all pretenses of not caring. Holding his dying son, begging him to hold on? That was such a good scene and I'll remember it forever.

Oh and the interlude of Leia figuring out that Vader is Anakin Skywalker? That was so good too! Love me that realization and dread!

And I know the story isn't quite done, but even so, the place it ended is still just as satisfying. It's such a unique and awful situation. Like picking the lesser of two evils. God. My heart says Vader saves the day (ha!) but my mind says Palpatine kills Vader. It's the dark night of the soul. If I had my way, I'd want Luke to remember, I'd want him to truly acknowledge Vader as his father, I'd want Vader to take him away, to betray Sidious. A pipedream, I know. But these are the thoughts your story has left me with!

Anyways, this has been a bit messy but I wanted to leave a review. This story and the work you've put into it deserves it! Thank you so much for your dedication! I really enjoy this fic and it's honestly been the best thing I've read during this COVID quarantine. I hope you've been safe and healthy! :)
Admiral T. DeVanto chapter 36 . 1/22
Okay, the fact that Wedge only needed to say one sentence to get Han to punch that guy in the face for Luke had me smiling all the way! And how they all came in to help Luke! I love these boys!
Anne Stefan Veronica Wilson chapter 57 . 10/21/2019
I don't remember if I commented on the original chapter and would have to go back to look! But this is so good and gripping!

I think that often revisions can help spark new ideas. I just recently did something similar with a very old story I'd abandoned in 2008! I haven't finished it yet, but am passionate about it again. It's interesting how creativity builds on itself and lack of creativity often compounds and can take over our lives, isn't it? SO frustrating. But I am SO happy to see your revisions. This piece is so very sensual and cinematic that I can see the action happening in my mind - and wish yet again that I could draw! Great job!
Bumblebeep chapter 1 . 10/16/2019
YO THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST STORIES I HAVE EVER READ! I LOVE THIS!
SarahBethLF chapter 57 . 9/28/2019
I just love this fic, and can't wait to read more!
Umber chapter 57 . 1/5/2019
I loved this story. Good job. I liked how the story ended with the perspectives of others. I'm guessing that you're not writing a sequel since it's been three years. I'm disappointed yet completely ok. Who needs happy endings?
221Bfandomlocked4 chapter 57 . 12/12/2018
Wow, I love this story! I hope you continue it some day!
1,059 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »