Reviews for The White Tree
Leif of Rohan chapter 3 . 6/24/2005
I loved this story can't wait for more chapters in Burden of Guilt.

Leif of Rohan
steelelf chapter 3 . 6/24/2005
Thanks! I can not wait for new chapters on 'burden'. I am not a patient person I fear.

This was a good story- I have enjoyed it! I can just see Faramir barging into his study- I could also see him, like grabbing Aragorn by the front of the shirt or something.

I know how you fell about the Denethor Faramir thing. I actually had not read hardly any like taht when I wrote my story... eep.

Well, I gtg.
Ithil-valon chapter 3 . 6/24/2005
Ah, I see to be coming to so many "The Ends" these days that I'm not prepared for! Somehow I want to good story to just keep going on and on and on...like Bilbo's song about the road! But such is life. Ah well...

/No longer was he the last of his line, but the first of a new house of Kings./ I found this to be such an emotional and uplifting image! Aragorn needed this new vision of himself and his future. How very nice that he can finally put to rest the old mantle of Isildur and take up the days of the King.

I truly look forward to more chapters of B of G, and I shall definitely look up "Blossoms." Thanks for sharing!
Aelaer chapter 3 . 6/24/2005
What a sweet ending! I really enjoyed it greatly. Now, I cannot wait for the continuation of your other fics *grin*
Julia chapter 3 . 6/24/2005
Great ending! Thanks for grafting on the last bit to please us hopeless A/A romantics. Looking forward to the next update for "Burden of Guilt."
Frodo Silverlune chapter 3 . 6/24/2005
yeah, Denethor was probably an honorable man, but it's so much *fun* to have him be an abusive father! it's such a great what if.

anyways, very nice, very nice. i'm glad that you update so promptly!
RS chapter 1 . 6/24/2005
YAY, A NEW FIC RE ARAGORN AND ARWEN. I LOVE YOUR STORIES BUT I LOVE IT MORE WHEN THE SUBJECTS ARE A/A. I LOVE HIS THOUGHTS, HE IS SUCH A NOBLE MAN. YOUR WRITING IS GREAT. LOVE YOUR STORIES.
Laerien chapter 2 . 6/24/2005
What a twist! I have never thought that someone would suppose the Tree is just simply taken and not replaced. Can’t wait to see how Faramir will react! Most likely just gape then blush scarlet, then… Alright you write it, not me :o)

I love the humour you managed to slip into it. Favorites: the most uncomfortable furniture and Aragorn as a henpecked husband :o)

I have to say I agree with those who said they do not believe Denethor would ever abuse his son. Neglecting. That’s what he did and that is enough bad. This is one topic where I completely distinguish fanfiction from the book. I do not agree with the conception but I can accept it for a good story. Like now;o)
Rosie26 chapter 2 . 6/24/2005
I enjoy all your stories, but I think this one is exceptionally well written.
Conuiren chapter 2 . 6/24/2005
Oh! Someone's in trouble! I wonder how Aragorn will handle this - after all it would be so easy to just smartly point out that he is replacing the old tree, but that would make Faramir feel about ten inches tall!

Of course, Aragorn would never want to embarrass Faramir, so I can't wait to find out how he tells him about the new sapling.

p.s. I like the idea of a strong Faramir story - it would be good to show him coming back all the stronger after the mill he's been through thus far.
shie1dmaidenofrohan chapter 1 . 6/24/2005
Lovely story so far. Aragorn's frustration comes across nicely, as does Faramir's difficulty in overcoming his discomfort around the king. And Merry and Pippin are perfect! (Just need to watch out for that Arwen being more than one wom"e"n thing. ;)
grumpy chapter 2 . 6/23/2005
Ah, great Aragorn found the baby tree, now maybe Arwin will come. Too bad Faramir got the wrong idea about what is going on. looking forward to more
Evenstar Princess chapter 2 . 6/23/2005
Great start! I am looking forward to reading the coming chapters. Please update soon! I have read other stories on this sight where the author can take more than a month to update!

Please continue on your other story Burden Of Guilt soon. I am also looking forward to reading the next chapter.
xiaoweisan chapter 2 . 6/23/2005
I love most of lindahoyland's stories; to tell the truth, the torture and comfort fit some of my twisted whims. Besides, I have never been a fan of Denethor: first, he got in the way of Aragorn, who was kind of the Hero of LOTR; second, he was unfair to Faramir, who was also my favorite character.

Yet I don't think Denethor did physically abuse Faramir, or at least did not after Faramir came of age. But he surely was cold to Faramir and sarcastic words hurt no less than beatings. Faramir once lost self-control and asked his father whether Denethor prefered his death to Boromir's. It's quite unusual for someone who was strong enough to resist the one ring to lose his self-control. Obviously Denethor's unfairness had lasted some time and Faramir's patience was on the brink.

Basically Denethor was neither bad nor weak comparing with common people. So why did he disfavor his youngest son? First, Denethor might blame Faramir his wife's death, but I don't think that's the main reason. From the canon, Faramir was more like his father than Boromir was. Hence Denethor's disdain for Faramir was somewhat disdain for himself as a reflection of his father, Ecthelion's opinion. Denethor was learned and had a love for lore, yet Ecthelion prefered Thorongil(Aragorn), a fierce warrior and an excellent commander, to his own son. Denethor fretted a lot, but when he became a father and ruler, he repeated the tragedy.

Yet Faramir was different from his father. He could "read" others as much as his father did, but that made him pity others instead of scorning them. Denethor not only regarded such kindness as weakness, but also felt uneasy because he could not read Faramir like others. Denethor granted Boromir more trust partly because Boromir was easier to read, and Faramir was too independent in his mind to keep Denethor happy. Moreover, Faramir actually was a "flatless" son and that fact did not help Denethor's mood. Sometimes a perfect child drove you mad because he was a constant reminder of your wrong doing. In many cases parents prefered a haughty child to another one who never caused trouble. Besides, considering Faramir's strength to resist the ring, he could no way be easy to tame. No wonder Denethor was furious about his youngest son's "disloyalty"; also his self-respect was hurt by the fact that Faramir followed Gandalf's advise more than his father's. We all know Denethor never liked the wizard and did believe that Gandalf tried to supplant him. (Well, Denethor was not so wrong, after all.)
Elenhin chapter 2 . 6/23/2005
Aiiy, What a cliff hanger, the terror or waiting once more...

You were very right though, the chapter was surprising. I had not expected quite that. Faramir think that the King is uproting the last of all hope, instead of setting it anew.

Though it could mean the a confrontation where he and the King come

to be more at ease with one another. Either that or it goes the other way.

My guess however is that when Faramir sees that Aragorn have found a sapling and a new future, one that blooms, he shall come to see that Aragorn is not a man that one needs to fear.

This also shows Faramir and his beliefs very clearly, he holds the tree so high that he is willing to risk the kings ire, because he sees it as his duty to protect the symbol of the city.

Mayhap that Aragorn could have told Faramir about it before he gave the command, but on the other hand as shy as Faramir is around him, I see why he did not.

Such a mighty cliffhanger that I truly feel suspended not knowing was shall come to happen next.

A place my faith in your magnificent writing and your kindness of swift updates.

Kindest Regards Ever, Elenhin