Reviews for Red Ink
dimorphic chapter 1 . 1/31/2009
Br. That is very creepy. And also sad, that Erestor died (in Glorfindel's mind, at least). Just... br. An amazing job.

And damn, I want to know what was written.
Ryan Brooklyn chapter 1 . 12/23/2008
Wow. That was . . . unexpected. It reminds me somewhat of A Beautiful Mind, that movie with Russell Crowe. Powerful movie. Now I want to know what it was that Glorfindel wrote. But I do agree it adds a lot to the ending. Like one reviewer pointed out, it doesn't matter what he wrote, the whole revelation was the fact that Erestor did not exist.

Great job! :-D

Ryan Brooklyn
CrayonMentality chapter 1 . 5/30/2008
It was...bizarre but fascinating.
apigeonandaquill chapter 1 . 1/26/2008
Oh my...it was really sad, not funny like your other stories. Nice cliff-hanger, but I somehow don't feel like it's finished...could you do another chapter? Please? :) *waits*
Hello Anyone There chapter 1 . 1/4/2008
Sorry about the length of this review but I couldn't email it to you personally. I love this story but I always thought it waasn't finished enough. I decided to rite my idea of what should have happened next. Here it is!

Glorfindel sat in the Library and stared at the piece of parchment before him. Half of it was covered in spilt red ink but the rest was perfectly legible. A map. A map of a small area by the misty mountains with a small circle around a particular place. He stared at it, not hearing the footsteps which drew closer. The other elf rounded the shelves and looked down at the balrog slayer. Glorfindel was a mess. His hair was mussed up and he was wearing his sleeping clothes. Elrond frowned at the parchment Glorfindel was staring at.

“What is that Glorfindel?”

Glorfindel jumped and turned around quickly.

“It’s …well it’s something Erestor drew, I mean I drew, I mean… Oh Valar what do I mean?”

“You mean something which you drew.” Elrond chided gently. “What is it?”

In reply Glorfindel handed the map over. Elrond looked confused.

“Why would you draw a map of that area, and what is so important about that hill?”

Glorfindel looked helpless.

“I have no idea my lord but I intend to find out. I will leave at dawn.”

Elrond looked sceptical but seemed resigned to Glorfindels leaving.

“Be safe my friend. Orcs have been seen in those places.”

At dawn Glorfindel placed the last of his provisions on his horse, Arnor, and rode out the courtyard. Only one pair of eyes saw him leave. He rode steadily for six days before approaching the area detailed on the map. When he got close enough he left the horse and continued on foot. As he went he could plainly see the signs of orc presence. Flattened grass, withered trees and cast away rubbish. He could hear them now, loud and ugly voices cheering and howling with glee. Whatever made such creatures happy boded ill thought Glorfindel. He took to the trees and found a place where he could overlook the camp.

The orcs appeared to have captured an elf. They were beating the obviously unconscious body and laughing at their prisoner’s helplessness. Glorfindel narrowed his eyes in rage. These scum! He nocked an arrow to his bow and pulled back. The arrow went flying through the air and struck the orc arrow directly through the skull. The other orcs roared with confusion and grabbed their weapons but there was no shield against the deadly barrage of arrows that came raining down. One by one they fell with an elvish arrow embedded I their throats or chests. Glorfindels aim had not diminished since the last battle.

Now the orcs were dead Glorfindel dropped from the tree and hurried over to the other elf. He gently rolled him over and checked his wounds. The elf appeared to have been badly beaten and he had an arrow wound in his side which appeared to be poisoned.

Glorfindel sat back on his haunches. He had done all he could but he was no healer and didn’t have all the supplies he would have liked. He sighed, only one choice really then. To take this mysterious elf back to Imladris and pray he survived the journey. He lifted the elf up gently and set him on his horse. As they set off toward the house of Elrond he mentally catalogued everything he knew about this elf. He was obviously a noldor as shown by his dark colouring and dress, he seemed quite young, only two/tree thousand years old. He was alone on the misty mountains with no pack or horse, although the orcs could have taken those he reminded himself. He had been captured and badly beaten by orcs and most interestingly Glorfindel had been led to him by a map drawn by an unreal person. Most peculiar. He urged Arnor on faster, this elf was getting worse.

As he neared the last homely house Glorfindel almost wept with relief. The journey had been hard and the elf had almost died several times. Now he could get him to a qualified healer and hopefully solve some mysteries about him. He handed the reins of his horse to a stable hand and took off running to the healing ward.

Once there he laid the elf on a bed and instructed a nearby healer to fetch Elrond. This elf would need an expert healer if he was going to survive. Elrond came hurrying into the room looking concerned. He saw the elf and immediately slipped into his healer mode, calling out orders and looking the elf over.

A few hours later Elrond sat down heavily in a chair by the side of the bed. He looked exhausted and had blood covering his robe but the mysterious elf was now resting comfortably and was no longer fighting for his life.

“Do you think you could tell me what is going on now Glorfindel?” He asked. “You vanish on a trip to visit a place you drew on a map and come back with a half dead elf.”

Glorfindel sighed.

“Truly my lord I know no more than you. I went to the place and found him at the mercy of orcs. He was unconscious then and hasn’t woken up since.”

Elrond frowned but said nothing. The two of them sat by the elf’s bedside throughout the night, keeping a steady vigil in case he should awaken.

He did not stir until about mid morning. The elf gave a small moan and shifted. Elrond leaned over the bed and called him.

“Come on you mysterious elf, you have slept long enough. Time to wake up and answer a few questions.”

The elf’s eyes fluttered and he looked about him in obvious confusion.

“Where…” He started to say but was interrupted by a bout of coughing. Glorfindel handed him a tall glass of water and the elf drank gratefully.

“In Rivendell master elf and you are lucky to be here after your run in with orcs.”

The elf closed his eyes as the memories of the orcs came flooding back. He opened them again and seemed a little stronger.

“Then I am in your debt. Thank you for saving me.”

“Thank Glorfindel here. He came across you a brought you back here.”

The elf looked over at the golden haired balrog slayer and inclined his head in thanks. Elrond drew back the elf’s attention.

“What were you doing out there alone?” The tone was gentle, not accusary.

“Wasn’t alone…orcs killed them…trying…trying to get here.” Elrond blinked.

“Why were you trying to get here?”

“Seeking sanctuary. Orcs attacked my home so I…had to leave… Tried to get here, heard it was safe…” The elf’s eyes were drifting shut and his voice had grown weaker. He looked worn out.

“Wait!” Glorfindel said “ One last question. What is your name? We cannot keep calling you ‘elf’ all the time.”

The elf made one last effort to stay awake.

“Erestor..” He muttered before falling into sleep. Glorfindels mouth hung open as he looked at the elf before him. He slowly raised his eyes to meet with Elrond who looked just as shocked as he felt himself.
I Am Not Michael Caine chapter 1 . 7/10/2007
Honestly, one of the best things I have read on here in a long time; made all the better by the fact that I got to it from clicking on your username, presumed it would be as funny as the other things you've written, and was completely shocked by it. In a good way, naturally.

I'm adding it to my favourite stories list.
SoConfusified chapter 1 . 6/18/2007
Disturbing. very good
RumorUnderOath chapter 1 . 6/5/2007
wow i like this very much, especialy the part "erestor had come from the night. he had formed himself out of moonlight and darkness, and the soft swish of his robes was the whispering of trees." its very kool the way you campare Erestor of things that are dark and abstact.
Ponytail Goddess chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
That was rather eerie...I don't believe I've ever read a LotR horror fic, but that was pretty good. Nice work.

-P.G.
Lothiriel Queen chapter 1 . 11/16/2006
Hi

I have recently been reading through all your stories, and they are by the way absolutely wonderful, when i noticed that you were the one who wrote red ink. When i first read this story a while ago i almost cried. It was so sad! and tehn recently when i went on your author page and read your other stories they are all so light hearted. I was really suprised in the difference between the stories, but as i can see you are a wonderful author quite capable of writing anything. Anyway more to the point i really love this story and i think its wonderful and i cant wait to finish reading all your stories!
BlackNumenorean chapter 1 . 8/1/2006
This story reminds me so much of the novella Secret Window by Stephen King- amazing. Absolutely amazing. :)
NotAllWhoWanderAreLost chapter 1 . 6/30/2006
Wow, I love it. well written. The red ink is used wonderfully. I like how we dont know what he had written, it would only take away from the story. It doesnt matter what it said, but I like how we can guess its contents.
Llrael Of The Forest chapter 1 . 5/24/2006
I must agree with many of the reviewers here, I would dearly love to know what it was Erestor wrote, but I feel that that would remove some of the tension that you so masterfully built up. This really is one of those stories that you can keep coming back to and it means something slightly different each time...

Absolutely wonderful!

Llrael
Celebdil-Galad and Tinlaure chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
Wow, this was incredible! But I am curious about one thing...what was it that Glorfindel wrote in the library? If it is explained in this fic somewhere then i am sorry that I didn't catch it...if not...could you write some sort of equally amazing sequel? An epilogue? Something? LOL I was just curious...

-Celebdil
Vinney Jimbob chapter 1 . 12/29/2005
EH? EH? What?

I feel so... incomplete... Is it saying that for four years he has been talking to an imaginary friend made out of ink?

Goodah Stowy! I likie!