Reviews for Incident In A Tavern
Brukaoru chapter 1 . 12/8/2013
This was a very cute original story. Great writing. Nice work!
decadent folly chapter 1 . 7/21/2013
The story was short, simple but profound. Everyone was well rounded.
I especially love Ito and how you've written the story in her POV. More than a fan fiction, this story could already stand on its own. The way you write Ito makes her seem like a real person. And Jun was a complex character. He loves Ito and I can't help but think the reason he fought in the war was so two people in love, no matter their stations in life, could marry each other. At the same time, with all his ideals, Jun is still a flawed and scarred character. Perhaps the reason he grabbed Ito's ankle (inappropriately touching her) was to reach for something he felt he didn't deserve but have always wanted. Alcohol really does lower inhibitions.

Aside from characterization, another thing i liked about this fic was how you tied in the ideals of the original story and showed how it could affect ordinary people.

"And so Jun told me what he and the others in the Ishin Shishi army had been fighting for, a newer, fairer, Japan where ancient privilege and class prejudice were set aside. A Japan where men were equal no matter who their parents were, and law ruled where injustice once reigned."

"He must have truly believed that birth didn't matter, because he married me that same year."

For me this was the best line of the story.

If this is the result of your writer's block honestly I wouldn't mind if you had them more.
ValorieJueles chapter 1 . 3/20/2008
Aw! That's so cute! Just like to mention though, that in pre- imperialist Japan, merchants no matter how rich were considered the lowest class. Aw well, doesn't bother me!
ferryboat George chapter 1 . 10/15/2007
Not that I want you to continue to have writers block, but you're welcome to write more lovely one-shots like this :P
Hidari chapter 1 . 5/29/2007
I've read this before but didn't review. Nice short little fic. _
TrisakAminawn chapter 1 . 1/21/2007
Heh. He does talk too much sometimes, doesn't he? I really do enjoy your style, especially your control of detail. But I have to confess, I thought Ito was a boy right up until she said 'not the seventeen year old woman I was now.' Oops. Ito was a good character, too, and while the others were a bit stock they were stock handled properly, which makes all the difference in the world. Mm.
Heather Logan chapter 1 . 3/4/2006
I can't believe I've somehow missed reading your stories up till now! This was lovely. You have a very nice writing style; it's hard to describe, very calm and "storytelling-ish" (if that makes any sense), almost detached. I enjoyed the way you kept Ito's simple perspective in the tone of the writing.

Kenshin really does tend to "drop the bomb" on people's lives, doesn't he?
Negotiatrix chapter 1 . 2/19/2006
Oops! I forgot to post a review when I read this! So here I am now.

You did a great job with telling a completely original story, yet incorporating Kenshin. It stands on its own, even to someone who knows nothing about RK. Kenshin being in it is a like finding a little Easter Egg!

Now, while the story was great, the real genius was your own summary at the end:

"He saves the girl, rehabilitates a soldier, and plays matchmaker all in four lines of dialogue."

That cracked me up!
Warg chapter 1 . 1/2/2006
Great story. Simple, well toned wording. The story has a nice flow to it, almost a resonance, line to line.

Well Kenshin may not say much but he has the over-achiever bit belted thanx to u.

Nice work, now i'll promptly get back to u know what. Bye
SpaceRoses chapter 1 . 11/17/2005
Very good. Kenshin didn't realize how amny lives he had touched, just in his wandering years but I'm sure they were many. Wonderful story, I loved every word of it!
Shirou Shinjin chapter 1 . 9/19/2005
Oh very nice; I like this story. Short and sweet. Pity these two weren't around when Kenshin was having his various gilt-trips :)
Terry-McElrath chapter 1 . 8/16/2005
Hi, Omasu!

This was such a great story! I loved it! Ito is a very realistic character, quite well-rounded. Being the romantic that I am, I was very pleased with the ending. I wish I was as eloquent with reviews as you are, though. All I can say is that I thought that Kenshin was very much in character, even if he only got four lines of dialogue. I really liked "You don't want to fight me." Yeah, they really don't. They were a lot smarter than they looked! Thanks for the pleasure your stories have given me!
wyrd chapter 1 . 8/5/2005
Well, I rather liked this "pointless one-shot". You did a great job characterizing Ito and giving us her background. You also portrayed her feelings for Jun really well, though during the drunkard scene I really didn't think the jerk deserved her.

I really liked how she never found out who the red haired stranger was. The whole "Kenshin randomly wanders in on a crisis and saves the day only to have the people find out who he is" thing is extremely overused. It was refreshing to find that he is able to help people and still remain anonymous.

I really liked your one-shot! Have a *great* week, ja ne!
WolfDaughter chapter 1 . 7/4/2005
This is awesome! I love this story, I really do! Far be it from me to try to "save the world" from your one-shots. I'd rather encourage them. Any chance of a sequel? Well written as always!
dhrachth chapter 1 . 7/1/2005