Reviews for XCOM: The Unknown Menace
RandomReviewerReturns chapter 36 . 7/5
I think anyone who has played XCOM will agree that the Council of Nations was the real villain ;D

Magnificent story good sir, I heard about it when I downloaded Area 51 for Open Xcom (which is itself terrific mod). 10/10!
bigwoof chapter 36 . 9/10/2016
excellent story! thoroughly enjoyed it! Looking forward to the next stories...
Carath chapter 2 . 6/14/2016
hey! i think the date in the declaration doesnt correspond to your chronological order. it said it was 1999 and in the next chapter you start in 1998. maybe i didnt get something but i just wanted to let you know. awesome work, by the way!
Guest chapter 34 . 4/13/2016
I'm also impressed that you seem to have foreseen the financial crisis! Well done!
Guest chapter 36 . 4/13/2016
Just as good as completing the game! Many thanks!
Apex113 chapter 1 . 9/15/2015
Your grammar is frankly terrible but the story idea itself is good. So... 6/10
Zues Killer Productions chapter 3 . 7/15/2015
Leave it to the cult of Sirius/EXALT to cause mass hysteria.
Zues Killer Productions chapter 2 . 7/15/2015
Leave it to the French to come up with this sort of thing.

So the Council of Nations has been here for some time?
Zues Killer Productions chapter 1 . 7/15/2015
Unidentified flying lights?

Aliens.
MikeT chapter 1 . 1/26/2015
Very good story, a little to literal on the game at a few points also i think the Enforcer reference was entirely unneeded and i think you need a proof reader to help correct the language a little, but with the name i assume English is your second language which makes what you have done exceptionally good.

8/10
Axcel chapter 25 . 1/13/2015
About Vietnam. The problem was that, since war was not declared, politicians held command authority superior to the generals and admirals. They constantly ordered locations to be taken, abandoned, and retaken repeatedly. They would order troops throug areas the military told them were traps or perfect ambush locations. They restricted air strikes even in support or in the rescue of soldiers fighting on the ground. Basically, the politicians did the opposite of what the military advised.

Even then, North Vietnam pulled back into their lines, signed a treaty ending the war and returning the national boundaries to their pre-war locations. This was the objective of American forces in Vietnam. Which means the US won the Vietnam War, as it had achieved all of its goals and purpose of being there. However, literally the moment the last transport left Vietnam, the North re-invaded. America decided not to intervene due to political reasons. Ironically, the reason was public pressure and anti-military popular opinions propagated by the politicians. No doubt they feared the public's reaction should it become widely known how much influence and control the politicians had in the war.

Most Americans know that the military has full command of itself only when war is officially declared. However, many do not realize just how extensive the politicians' control over the miltary and military operations is when war is not declared. This control was one of the reasons for not declaring war during Vietnam. The politicians feared the military would piss of China and trigger a third world war by not giving a crap about political interests.
Axcel chapter 10 . 1/12/2015
Honestly, I figure that most reporters, if they stumbled upon a national secret, would keep quiet. They aren't stupid. They are people, just like us. They wouldn't want to harm national security any more than you or I would. Movies and books that depict the reporter uncovering some big secret and revealing it or threatening to is mostly unrealistic for that very reason. Well that and the fact the government can just make you disappear. In the weighing of national security vs someone illegally digging through classified information, it is obvious which way the scales will tip.
Axcel chapter 9 . 1/12/2015
I don't think Sentinel is part of X-COM's chain of command, so Harris wouldn't be guilty of disobeying an order. Besides, he fights UFOs shooting at him all the time, this is no different.

The conspirators clearly are morons. They have no power, influence, or authority. What soon-to-be-dead morons. At least Number Two knows where his loyalties lie.

I'm really liking the X-COM Commander (the Russian). He clearly fully accepts that humanity comes first, before any one nation. Even his own. Though, I think nations that try to pull out will be in for a shock. Because I highly doubt that their soldiers in X-COM, after all they've experienced, could stomach leaving the fight or turning their weapons on a fellow human. I would imagine that working in X-COM would quickly erode a "nation first" mentality.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
The entire chapter seems to be in bold, if you could fix that as it makes reading it unnecessarily difficult.
randomjaffa6 chapter 9 . 10/11/2011
now that i have read some more i have come to wonder why you have made the alien craft so fragile. at least in comparison to the game i played. in the original game it was almost required that you use avalanche missiles for interception as nothing else had the range to hit the target safely and do enough damage. the avalanches are nuclear missiles, meaning nukes, at least one kiloton of force. what is more is that it would routinely take between two and six to bring an alien ship down. then again you have made the human craft far weaker as well. in the game i have had a original interceptor take between one and two hits from a battleship without crashing.