Reviews for Black is the Sun
Electricboa chapter 15 . 7/16/2013
Well, I have to say this was one of the more unique stories I've read in the Artemis Fowl universe. It does have a lot of good aspects. I liked the initial premise, I could really see Holly and Artemis being that stubborn, though I would have thought Butler or Foaly would have forced one of them to call the other.

I have somewhat mixed feeling on the villains. It was nice seeing someone other than Opal as the main antagonist (she's everyone in other fan fiction stories), and using Swear Toads as an army was probably one of the most interesting ideas I've seen in a while. I also liked their interactions with one another, very well written. All that being said, I didn't understand the motivation behind a lot of what Natalia did. Beyond taking over for the sake of taking over, she didn't really have a background. There was a hint that she had some kind of grudge against Holly, but nothing came of it and she even gave the location of a cure. That was a lot of mixed signals. She also seemed to want Artemis to help her, but I didn't see the point, she had already taken over.

I did catch the part about sharing spirits with humans, and while I have not against Holly being turned human (one of my favorite fan fiction stories starts that way), I don't think your method really works. I mean the sprite in Ho Chi Minh city was banished for sharing spirits, but she never changed species or lost her magic completely.

I did notice somewhat of a change around chapter 8 or 9 in the story, though. Artemis seems to go pretty out of character and does things that I'm not sure make sense. Sacrificing Holly was never really explained, and then he leaves her in the hands of the enemy to go to the surface, when he could have just as easily called Butler on the communicator. That, and the part with Artemis going all action hero on the trolls just didn't make sense, given how in character he was in earlier chapters, not being physically fit.

Another aspect that didn't quite sit right with me was the last minute introduction of Acacia and Nida. Now admittedly, I'm not really a fan of OCs to begin with, but that personal idiom aside, there really wasn't enough of a background on these characters to have them interacting with Artemis, Butler, and unknown humans (who apparently are fine with seeing trolls and elves for the first time) as they do. Most of the fairy population would still have a pretty negative view on humans. Even all that aside, I don't understand how these two LEP officers somehow survived Natalia's attack, but didn't actually try to stop her from killing all their fellow officers.

My suggestion would be to have a Beta go through and look for things like that. I know it sometimes takes some new eyes to look on a story to see these kinds of things. I would also recommend drawing out the story more. Many of the issues I found could have been explained by a little more background and elaboration.

I did like the epilogue, it tied everything together nicely. Plus, as a pretty big A/H shipper, the ending appealed to me. I did enjoy reading the story. I do hope this isn't your last foray into Artemis Fowl, I'd like to seem more of your work, maybe something with Holly trying to adjust to being a human, or being called to help Haven as a human?
FowlFanGirl chapter 15 . 5/14/2012
WoooooHoooooo!
xWei chapter 15 . 3/14/2010
xD and i've fnished reading too

great story! though a lack of henchmen for the evil mastermind lol...took out the LEP...with oen person

anyway, it was very good
Cptn.S chapter 15 . 1/16/2010
wow, all I can say is wow. I couldn't stop reading as soon as I started, wow.
nightlight's fire chapter 15 . 8/4/2009
Great fun. I love stories with child geniuses, they're always fun and this is just great. You've got great writing and I like finding some of the characteristics in your style, which you have applied brilliantly to this story. You've done a justice to the book.
Dutchman02 chapter 15 . 5/14/2009
Great story, great plot. I liked the changes of POV when the trolls came, Foaly was breaking out and many things went wrong and right.

One thing I had to point out, it seemed really unrealistic that two fairy's, one smart one, one muscle, would be able to cripple whole of Haven. Opal Koboi could because she had an army of Goblins AND could disable the weapons. That took away some of the realism of this story.

Anyway, besides that point it was a really good story with a well thought out plot.
Aquamarinelightnight chapter 15 . 4/4/2009
thats kinda a sad/happy ending
Aquamarinelightnight chapter 5 . 4/4/2009
awesome
Alex Hart chapter 15 . 2/17/2008
Good. I was wondering if you forgot about the drinking with humans rule
alex hart chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
It's O.K. I don't think they could be mad for two years though. Maybe two month
brolly501 chapter 15 . 9/18/2007
good story
Haruka and Hikari chapter 15 . 7/12/2007
aw!how cute!
Bundibird chapter 15 . 5/14/2007
Very nice story! i liked it. you did a great job, great plot, great speed...you did it all very well. congrads!

it was a pleasure reading this.

Bundi
haruka and hikari chapter 15 . 5/10/2007
that was AWESOME! i cant wait to hear another! you are a very good writer...
Naked Revenge chapter 15 . 9/25/2006
I liked this story, a lot. You did a good job writing it. The plot stuck out the most to me. Very original. Everyone from the book was in character but I wish the ones you made up had had more of a background. I also wished the story had been longer, maybe a bit more complicated. Oh and MORE FLUFF! Thats the only thing I really didn't like was the lack of fluff. Everything else was good to excellent! Over all, very good story. Definitely worth the time and energy I spent reading.