Reviews for Stone of Erebor
good stuff!
well done! thank you!
Neepu chapter 25 . 12/28/2012
Whoa!
Thank you for this long and interesting fanfic, which fleshes out the dwarves and their culture so nicely! The situation you put them and Bilbo in was finely constructed and the character actions and reactions excellently written. I was actually probably most pleased about the small details in how the dwarves live(for example concerning the gardens of Erebor, since I've been always wondering about their food producing also...), and the little details such as proverbs(which were brilliant in this!), dressing culture, working & other everyday stuff... But overall this was a fantastic read, in the spirit of the books, so thank you for that :)
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 25 . 7/19/2012
Simple, but effective, I’ll give you that.
In a world where so many people focus on the films, it’s nice to see that others have read and enjoyed the original books rather than just waiting for the film to come out, and your exploration of Bilbo’s thoughts on his return to the place where he had his great adventure was excellently written, particularly as he meets his surviving friends and has to deal with the uncertain reaction of a paranoid king to an intrusion to his territory.
The subsequent investigation into the theft of the Arkenstone creates an intriguing concept of putting Tolkein’s predominately action-based heroes in a crisis that requires more cerebral expertise to deal with, with the dwarves and Bilbo neatly eliminating various suspects from their investigation before going on to tackle the central problem of motive even after identifying the only valid suspect.
Of course, your exploration of Dain’s issues with Bilbo are also well-explored, effectively contrasting his natural dwarfish prejudice for others with the respect that Thorin’s Company gained for him during their time together, and while I was a bit unclear about the final motive for the crime that you revealed, it did have a certain sense...
All in all, not the most elaborate plot, but a nice little reunion between Bilbo and his old companions nevertheless.
Iolanthe 8 chapter 1 . 1/24/2012
I'm about two-thirds through this terrific story, and can't put it down. You have so beautifully imagined and fleshed-out the Dwarves' culture, up to and including all the marvelous beard-lore! Thank you!
Eyes of Glass chapter 1 . 8/13/2010
Exellent, this is without a doubt my favourite story about Bilbo and the Dwarves. Brilliantly written and I adore the way you characterize the Dwarves further and their representaion was surperb. Well done, I look forward to reading more of you in the future.
Goblin Witch chapter 24 . 5/29/2010
I cannot tell you how dearly I love this story! I've read it time and again for years now, and it's just as charming as ever.
kateydidnt chapter 8 . 11/8/2008
oh oh! what a wonderfully in character Bilbo you have!
Chaotic Demon chapter 25 . 11/1/2008
This was such a fantastic story. I think you cought the older personalities of Bilbo and the Dwarves very well. Great job!
Nienor Niniel chapter 25 . 2/16/2007
So I finally had the time to finish this - very enjoyable! As I said before, the way you create a culture for the dwarves is great, and Bilbo is so very Bilbo-like, with just the right mixture of hobbity innocence and the shrewdness of someone who has done decidedly un-hobbity things. I enjoyed reading this very much, thanks for sharing!

All the best, Nienor
Nienor Niniel chapter 20 . 1/18/2007
Ooh, an update! I swear I was thinking about this fic last week and hoping you haven't abandoned it! So I'm glad you haven't indeed.

I have to compliment you on your dialogue: Bilbo is just so convincingly Bilbo, quite shrewd and somewhat manipulative below the surface, and the Dwarves are great, too.

So I wonder if things will go as Bilbo plans...

All the best, Eva
Nienor Niniel chapter 19 . 8/4/2006
Oh, that's the solution! I hadn't quite been there!

Bilbo's decision is the logical thing for him to do, being Bilbo. But I guess there will be more trouble, won't there?

Nienor
Nienor Niniel chapter 18 . 7/22/2006
Oh dear, what now? Evil cliffhanger again. I have *no* idea how Dím will react to this. And what is in the box?

All the best, Nienor
Nienor Niniel chapter 17 . 6/28/2006
I still don't understand what is going on at all, but that's due to my not paying attention properly, I guess. So I just wait until Bilbo tells us his results.

Your portrayal of an old Dwarf with mental problems is very convincing. I especially like how he is using his tools to comfort himself.

So, as ever, you have me wondering!

Nienor
Nienor Niniel chapter 16 . 6/22/2006
Hm, I would be lying if I said that I clearly understand what is going on there, but I take it that Bilbo doesn't feel much different.

And again, I really like Dwarvish culture and patterns of behaviour you are hinting at here!

All the best to you, Nienor
Nienor Niniel chapter 15 . 4/3/2006
Oh, I didn't expect *this*! Great twist! And, as always, I like the little pieces of Dvarvish culture you show. These punishments look just like what Dwarves would do.

All the best! Nienor