Reviews for Thirteen Ways To Say Goodnight
Tomas the Betrayer chapter 6 . 9/6
You know, it only occurred to me after this chapter: Gudrun always keeps her helmet on. Do we know what color her hair is? Her greater than average size, her uncharacteristically large hands and legs... is there more to Fratley hating Amarant than just he wasn't there when a dying Freya needed her friends? Is it more because he... was there when she needed a friend? Oh, that is delicious, and creative, and we thank you very much if that should be the case. Good show, Guardian1, good show.
Tomas the Betrayer chapter 5 . 9/5
Ah, now that's good living. Being with someone you not only like (which is hard enough) but who shares your appreciation for subjects that should not be touched upon. One doesn't have to talk about everything, regardless of what some psychiatrists might have to say on the topic. But you did a splendid job throwing in a bit of sexual tension, Guardian1. Freya's so bundled up usually, to this day we still don't have a clear picture what she looks like. Same with the top half of Amarant's face.
But it was a simpler world when two people could conceivably get out of the rain in a cave and dry off with just enough clothing to preserve decency. Of course, in our opinion, the absolute best scene that popped into our head from reading this chapter came out of 'girl stuff', 'pregnancy' and 'knitting', which are exactly the things Queen Garnet would have talked about the last time Red visited. And that is why I now have a mental picture of a grim-faced Amarant holding loops of knitting string between his big brawny hands which Garnet is using to make baby stockings, knitting needles clacking away while she prattles merrily on about ladies at court and the latest fashions. We imagine his mental state would run something along the lines of 'I hate this I hate this I hate this so MUCH' and 'If I fling myself out the window, it probably wouldn't kill me... unless I wanted it too.' Many thanks for this chapter, dear writer.
Tomas the Betrayer chapter 4 . 9/5
I really am enjoying this. Not that I've ever had the pleasure of being the deformed child of two famous parents, one world-renowned and dead, but I think this is exactly the sort of social interaction that Gudrun would benefit from considering her predicament. Most adults don't even know what they think about a child like that, or perhaps don't allow themselves to know. Even Fratley's heart is obviously torn in two about what to do. Amarant, however, does know, and he's not about to let social niceties or parental obligations tell him how to handle a mean ugly brat who probably reminds him of the people he grew up around. Uncle Flaming has dropped into their family like a burning red Meteor. Hope you had a lot of fun writing this, because we would have!
Tomas the Betrayer chapter 3 . 9/5
Lovely, lovely. You took us by surprise. Of course, how could you resist the urge to write the two of them getting up to no good? They just go so well together! Like a mace through a skull, like mac and cheese; Amarant and Freya, best friends forever!
We are largely intrigued by the idea that the still-amnesiac Fratley is no longer a person Freya can stand, much less love. That must be tough; like finding a stranger wearing your lover's body. But now, there be dragons. Did you ever kill Grand Dragons early in the game just for the challenge? Of course, it's suicide prior to the second visit to Lindblum, and even then you have to be careful not to run into a certain Garuda, but so worth it to boost Quina and Garnet's levels! But enough inside battle strategy. The story goes on, and it is a welcome one!
Tomas the Betrayer chapter 2 . 9/5
Oh... that was so good.
I was hoping you would make Amarant say exactly what he did to Fratley concerning his daughter, right down to the hereditary slight. You write excellent hate, Guardian1! A pity we didn't find this sooner. You really make these two characters who never met in-game want to kill each other, envy one another, and stay their hands for the sake of someone they both cared for. It's wicked, and wonderful. Which one of them will go Trance first from sheer overwhelming anger? Kuja would be proud.
Tomas the Betrayer chapter 1 . 9/5
You have quite a few daring and unexpected plot points here, Guardian1. To kill a main character is no small decision, and you must be very confident in yourself to pull off such a feat. This shows in your writing, which is engaging and quite emotional. Gudrun is a full-fledged participant in the universe in just half a chapter. Of course we regret the loss of Freya, who was no doubt instrumental to a great many of us gamers in slaying troublesome Yan or even Ozma. Her friendly rivalry with Amarant helped to open him up when he would otherwise have remained a late and unwilling arrival to the team. And clearly Irontail Fratley has not lost his fire. Could there be monster battles in your story's future?
Well, I'll find out soon enough. A shame you seem to have given up writing, but we understand how these things go. If you still pop in for a visit now and then, know that your work is still appreciated.
Em chapter 7 . 6/26
Oh god how amazing is this. And how tragic.

Your writing on this was beautiful as it all was. I don't think you probably even look at these reviews anymore, and certainly aren't writing more of this by now, but regardless: It's a fascinating, lovely story, and you're pretty awesome for thinking of it.
Shadow's Interceptor chapter 7 . 9/6/2014
Knock, knock, anyone there?

This story is good. I mean really freakin' good. I mean damn it all to hell I want this to be bloody canon good. Well, maybe not canon since Freya is dead, but you get my drift.

I HATE stories where my favorite character gets killed off, yet I LOVE this one. Don't know if you're still writing, but if you are please consider giving this one an update or twelve.

Fun fact, I saw your pen name and thought it familiar so I looked through your stories. You just happen to be the writer of my favorite FFVII story ever, the one about characters I consider meh, the one about the pairing I consider fair, the one that kept me so damn hooked from beginning to end that I think I stayed awake till who knows when on a school night finishing the thing. I recommend it to anyone who shows a passing interest in Yuffie/Vincent.

Wherever you are in life and whatever you're doing, I wish you the best. I sincerely hope you've continued to use your incredible talent as a writer.
klepto yes that one chapter 7 . 5/21/2012
Any chance of this being taken up again? I'm in the process of redoing the SIW doujinshi because I think I can do the narrative better now, so I am perfectly happy to try and bribe you into updating this. You write dysfunctional so well, it's like poetry.
Mosritheel chapter 1 . 8/14/2010
A couple of years ago, this fanfiction changed my life. Straight up. Your writing conjures a picture of the world it describes in such a way that it becomes tangible, alive with the chemistries between people, the journies tangled amongst places and the lives of the kinds of extraordinary characters featured within these games.

It isn't easy to get a hold on a character you didn't create- especially when they're as mind-boggling as some of those in the FF universe -and yet you seem to breeze through dialogue and interactions that read like the game-script would if written in gorgeous detail by someone who was allowed to swear.

The charactisation in these works of fiction is bloody astounding. You ponder the fine-tuning and make note of ties and awkwardnesses between characters which the game only touches on- in fact, you open with a fantastic exchange between Garnet and Amarant. The result of all your efforts is more than just a fan-fiction- it's a story which, as much as it pains me to say it, is wasted by being available free of charge.

I'm going to go on forever, so I'll summarise a smallish percentage of the things in this story that make me swoon. There's the idea of Gudrun and her mix of her parents traits, the way Puck rules his kingdom, Fratley's fierce love of his daughter and the way he treats Amarant (civil acidity?), the way life moves on for the characters featured, Amarant's wandering, the tragedy of his being far away when Freya dies, Zidane becoming 'Prince Consort', the little details like Amarant's interaction with Cornelia, his relationships with the other characters, the way he tries to block out the fact that she's dead- that bit always makes me wibble, your understanding of the 'period' in which the game is set (and of all the details in the game), the interactions between Gudrun and Amarant, the bitterness Amarant suffers toward most everything (especially his exactly accurate graceful-clumsy strength, which sees ordinary wooden seats collapsing under him and so on), a stab to the gut as a greeting (followed by frigid hospitality). Also, your writing style.

I'll shut up in a minute. One more thing. If one day I can write half so well as you, I will be veryyyy happy. You, madam, are a timeless credit to the fan-fiction universe, and I wish I shared more of your fandoms. Oh, and hilariously, I don't even ship Amarant/Freya!
Anzer'ke chapter 7 . 1/16/2010
Well damn do I hope that you are still out there and that you do continue this because It's definitely one of the best in this category, not least for in character Freya and Amarant and...well everybody.

Excellent stuff all round.

Peace out and Rock on,

Taokan chapter 7 . 9/25/2009
I read this once, years ago, and finally found it again just a short while ago, and I just- I cannot believe it doesn't have more reviews.

It's beautiful. Just about everything that I've could have wanted in a Freya/Amarant -no, just a straight *Final Fantasy 9* fic- all wrapped up in one big snarky package.

Thank you.
bubblygoo chapter 4 . 4/14/2009
Haha, Uncle Beatrix. Loving the story so far. I kind of feel sorry for Fratley. He's like one of those guys that's so pathetic, but it breaks your heart to tell him that.
j.c.kai chapter 7 . 2/13/2008
i like this story very much

keep on going
Reinna chapter 7 . 1/8/2008
af;sdlkfjaslkjfsd I love this, especially how you switch between the past and the present with Amarant and Freya and Gudrun and all. I especially love the way Amarant and Freya interact with each other and how their 'relationship' is built up and executed.

Your story is absolutely amazing. I don't really have any better words to describe it.