Reviews for Partners, part 2
YumYumPM chapter 1 . 7/29/2013
I love that Napoleon took over trying to keep Illya safe and ran with it. Great job. Best of all that Illya didn't get all huffy about the fact. Favorite line "And leave my lover behind? What would people think?"
It's almost like they were close but just didn't realize how close until then.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 10/2/2011
I first read this years ago on File 40; what a pleasure to see it again here, where perhaps other readers will find it as well. I've long thought it one of the most brilliant pieces of fanfiction I've ever read, in any fandom. You do an incredible job of creating interwoven time strands, making each one feel like the "present" as long as we're reading it, but we feel the resonances between the multiple layers of time. So complex, and so beautifully done! It is a great pleasure to watch their relationship grow across the streams of time you showcase, as they grow into their roles as agents, Napoleon as CEA, and then heir apparent to Waverly, and finally taking his place, and the difficulties the latter part of that evolution poses for Illya. The relationship between Solo and Kuryakin is breathtaking in its depths, both where the natural frictions between them occur and yet also in the comfort they find in each other: even the friction itself, repeated in old patterns, is a kind of comfort for each of them. This is best summed up in the wonderful line, "Solo took a moment to wonder just why he wanted this irritating, obnoxious, difficult, pain-in-the-ass partner around. But he did."

This reaches a climax when Napoleon reveals what he has done to truly free Illya, a rescue of a magnitude beyond all the other mutual rescues that lie behind them in their careers. The risk Napoleon feels in doing it, knowing that he might lose Illya permanently should he decide to live his life elsewhere and otherwise, points up the moral center at Napoleon's core: though tempted to keep Illya on a leash for his own purposes, he knows that he can't, that it would put him on the level of all those who have used Illya in the past, and that he must abide by the freedom he has fought for through U.N.C.L.E. his whole career. The constraint and fear he feels at this point are a lovely irony, contrasted with the genuine constraints and fears Illya has had to operate under for decades. The resolution the two of them reach (eventually - and not too quickly, so that it feels real and not cheap or easy) is perfectly done. And Illya's own loyalty to his partner is finally summed up in his decision to remain where he is: “'Do you think I’d abandon you? With a continent of assassins out there gunning for you on a daily basis?' Kuryakin was incredulous. 'I’d only have to keep coming back and rescuing you anyway.'” Both men's lives are so intertwined that there is no separating them, and they both know it. The emotion is honest and real, not contrived, and all the more moving for it. A brilliant, finely wrought novella! Many thanks!
trecebo chapter 1 . 7/13/2006
You wrote another splendid chapter to this tale. And I do appreciate the marriage humor...sort of freaky but I can dig it... On to the next one...

BTW: I don't really have alot of comment. It's just really good, solid writing that I wish I had in hard copy so I don't have to stare at my compy for hours on end. :D
Rachel chapter 1 . 5/9/2006
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to leave a review for this wonderful story - I first read it at File 40, and have been sucked back into it here at fanfiction-dot-net. It is fantastic - the scenes are so textured and so true to the characters and the reasons we love them. I love the target practice scene, with its richly drawn minor characters, and its terrific concluding line about learning how to gamble. I always imagined Illya would face hostility in any new HQ he was posted to, but it's hard to come up with a realistic scenario, and yours was perfect. I love the scene right after Waverly's funeral where it becomes painfully clear that Illya is trying to treat Napoleon like a superior while Napoleon misses the boat, assuming that Illya will just go on offering the kind of back-chat that characterized their partnership. The little touches throughout the story - Illya's inability to cook, Doctor Zhivago in the jungle, the dream of the white room and the steady reading, the taped ankle, and the loathed near-partner discussion that closed with "I heard your silence" - all these things together make "Partners" the best Man From UNCLE story I've ever read (and I've read quite a few!). I am almost afraid to read the sequel because "Partners" left the characters in such a good place, but on the other hand I can hardly wait to read it. Your Star Trek stuff is terrific too, far be it from me to dissuade you from writing more while you're in the groove, but just be aware that your Man From UNCLE fans are eagerly awaiting more as well! Take care, and thanks so much for sharing your imagination and talents with others who love these characters.
owlcroft chapter 1 . 7/20/2005
What a pleasure to read a literate, imaginative story like this. There's an obvious knowledge of and affection for your characters and I'm looking forward to the next one already!
sandy chapter 1 . 6/29/2005
Pat,

I just started reading in the MFU-verse a few days ago and I've just finished reading all your stories, which are absolutely fantastic. I really hope you're in the process of writing more, or, in the unfortunate circumstance that this is not the case, you know of where to find more stories equally as wonderful, you've really been one of the main authors to hook my interest in this fanverse.

I hope you can get back to me, but if you can't, just know that I've really enjoyed reading your work and, again, that I hope you continue to write. (Preferably quickly. ;-)

Thanks,