Reviews for What Cold Embrace Lies Below?
gravity01 chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
Yup. Not swimming anytime soon. Jeepers.
Serpina Silver Tongue chapter 1 . 1/25/2007
What's with the squid? I know it's a joke from PFN, but I'm afraid it is from before my time there, and I just haven't been there long enough or frequently enough to understand it. *le sigh* I did enjoy the irony of this story, although I seriously doubt a giant squid would be living in the underground lake eating people. It was almost funny, but still nicely morbid.
MadLizzy chapter 1 . 8/10/2006
I'm not sure where the octopus comes from (perhaps a different discussion group?)but I love the way you told the story, and I loved your gentle, heroic Erik and the fact that, in the end, they are doomed by their sense of propriety. ~ML
Ava Caita chapter 1 . 9/30/2005
I've found you through clever detective work (or, you know, I just followed from a loverly review you left)! I loved this story. It was clever, but still had a great deal of morbid elements. It also had a lot of tension which was as good as fried calamari.

Hmm, I think I voted for two of your stories last contest, so you better write something for the third. Or ... I'll sick the squid on ye! Speaking of which, where is 'Masquerade'? I really liked that story!

Looking forward to more of your work!

~ Ava
Froek1881 chapter 1 . 7/3/2005
You were my number one in the contest!

Seriously, I would rather have ten of Erik's babies at the same time, than setting ONE foot in his absolutely terrifying lake. Silly Christine.

The story is creepy from beginning to end. The swimming alone would have been sufficient for me to get the creeps, but no, no, of course The Squid had to come and fetch it's lunch. You described everything so well, I can see it in front of my eyes. Yes, even naked Christine, woohoo! I liked that. Brava.
phantomy-cookies chapter 1 . 7/1/2005
Love, love, love.

Love... love love love LOVE love love.

Love?

LOVE! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, L-O-V-E-D this story! Gah! I loved it so much that I wanted to eat it! Blah! I wanted to MUNCH it down like an over-sized plate of calamari! Hoo! If you're wondering whether or not you were in my top three fic pics, I've got two words for you, sweetie: Neked Christine.

*Maliciously evil grin*

Woohoo! Forget the fact that this was dark and gruesome, or that you've dedicated this masterpiece to yours truly. This is sheer, one hundred percent, unadulterated brilliance! If I could have picked which squid story was the BEST, you'd get the squid crown, no ifs ands or buts! (Crown includes tentacles! Yay!)

Big plus for your fabulous use of sexual tension. (Heehee). BIGGER plus for making this as gruesomely gruesome as a morbid fic can GET! Example? (( The water abruptly became warm, and he dimly wondered if the creature had torn away his limbs. He could not feel his arms or legs, could not even move. Everything began to fade.))

Oh heavens. It's perfect. Just perfect! *covers Orianna with squid kisses*

Get's the phantomy-cookies 10 out of freaking 10!
phantomadark chapter 1 . 6/29/2005
It is a wonderful story. Please update soon.
Elcie chapter 1 . 6/29/2005
This is quite a brilliant combination of real morbidity and hilarious absurdity. As I said in my review on PFN, I was not entirely sure this was a squid fic at first, but was hoping desperately...and hurrah! It was.

You'd think that introducing a giant squid half way through a story would bring about a lot of silliness. You put a really nice twist on things though as your story starts out quite humerous (with the naked swimming in the super-creepy lake) but becomes horrifying when the squid appears. This really works well for the contest...it's not just poking fun at morbidity, it really is morbid, but it also has fun with the squid theme.

I'll repeat what everyone else said too (because it's worth repeating): your gentleman-to-a-fault Erik (fault here being so gentlemanly that you'll wait to be eaten alive by water predators rather than see your love interest naked) is perfect for the mood and tone of this story.
ahomelesspirate chapter 1 . 6/29/2005
I enjoyed it greatly, especially the part where Erik is so disturbed about Christine naked. lol
Senna Wales chapter 1 . 6/28/2005
You know, when the regular FFNers check this out, they are going to be seriously confused. :P "What? Squid? Doesn't she mean 'Siren'?" :P :D

Lessee... paraphrasing my original review.. What I liked most about this squid entry was its pure IRONY! Yes, perhaps the most ironic squid phic from the contest! Erik's the perfect gentleman - and his etiquette kills them both! Ahahahah! This one was also probably the creepiest and scariest of the squid phics. Very good imagery of the lake. Now I definitely do not want to go strolling about that lake. ;) And yes, that squid must have been turned on by Naked!Christine than Erik. Hah. :)
ShadyDexter chapter 1 . 6/28/2005
There's the tactile discriptiveness I know. Mostly this story made me laugh alot. I know, horrible. But the giant squids of tomany stories get the short end of the stick.