Reviews for The Violin
KissofJudas chapter 1 . 11/28/2005
Wow...I haven't read any of your stuff recently, and I'm kinda sad! But this is REALLY good! Excellent work with everything...I'm impressed! I can easily see Christine doing this.

~ SS
Waysayer chapter 1 . 7/9/2005
Awesome story. It was my number one vote in the morbidity contest. Actually it narrowly edged out two other stories I was thinking about making my number one choice. But I gave you the top spot because this really scared the hell out of me. It created a whole new dimension to dark phantom fiction.

The "living" violin was pretty fucking scary. Like here-

She extended two fingers cautiously and pressed them against the neck. What else would she feel with her fingers against a neck but a warm pulse and soft skin?-

That was demented, but in a very good way. I also thought it was awesome seeing Christine lying mangled and bloody after touching it. Morbidity at its finest.

Good job!
Senna Wales chapter 1 . 7/3/2005
*shudders* This was very original, very morbid, and utterly, utterly creepy. I just reread it now, and now that I'm not quite as worked up about the last main paragraph (aahh! scary!), I can appreciate the beauty of your narration better.

The first couple of paragraphs are pretty interesting, stylistically - they start off the phic almost textbook style. Seems a lot like a documentary, or some kind of objective account of... something. LOL. The first two paragraphs were still a little on the obscure side, but on a second, less rushed reading, it makes more sense.

I absolutely loved the way the first part of the phic ended. "She opened her eyes." Ooh. It was almost a parallel of the reader opening her eyes and seeing the horror to follow. ;D

Also really liked Christine's craziness. Have you ever read "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman? When I think about it, your phic reminds me a lot of it.. I won't give away any spoilers, but it's very similar in some ways. ;) (Just Google it and it should show up as an e-text.) Things like Christine's heeing and giggling, and the fact that she bites the violin made it all the more horrific. The way the violin sounds.. "Waaroorrwwrrees…We…" Ooh. How very subtly creepy.

You know what, I don't really know how to review/analyze this one. You're just so original and subtle in the narration. The only over-the-top part came at the very end, but it was all in a good way. Well, in a horrifying way. ;D But really, I absolutely loved the way you showed Christine's insanity. It was beautifully done.

Congratz on your placement. I think I voted this one for the Sick Award. :D
phantomy-cookies chapter 1 . 6/30/2005
Well my dear, I must say that if I had to tie with anyone for 4th place in our simple little contest, I am SURE GLAD that I tied with you. 'The Violin' not only graced my list of favorite choices, but it also was given several honorable mentions by me AND my roomates. This, coupled with 'Mazenderan Child,' proves to a startling degree just how great you are at writing this stuff.

And I'm not just talking about morbidity! We're talking about writing in general. You write real good yes.

The Christine 'hee-ing' was what obviously endeared me to this more than anything else. Disturbing as the whole concept was in general, I couldn't help but adore that single little bit of irregular humor. You capture it amazingly! Violin!Christine has got to be one of the craziest, most disturbing Christines out there! (Which is really saying something, given that we've had Christines chopping their babies up and feeding them to Erik. YES SENNA. I AM NEVER GOING TO FORGIVE YOU FOR THAT.)

Here's the keeper: ((There his beloved sat in her nightgown, blood dripping from a ghastly facial wound that caused her tongue to loll out grotesquely. The bleeding was nearly stopped, but it was all collected in her lap and was pooled around her in spindly, tree branch lines. Something else was in her lap. They looked like clumps of blood at first, but upon closer inspection Erik realized them to be flesh. Chunks of bloody flesh. Only then did he notice her hands.))

Hoo boy! Loved it! Adored it! Wouldn't mind marrying it if that weren't a bit creepy. *mwah*

Gets the phantomy-cookies 10 out of 10!