Reviews for A Question of Intelligence
107derwent chapter 12 . 6/10/2015
Very nice! I loved how Kelso kicked Hyde's ass (with words) in chapter 11. He really needed to hear those things. Kelso was totally right about how he wasnt treating Jeackie the way she deserved. Thanks for the story!
appalove chapter 12 . 2/9/2014
Another great story from you! Really satisfying ending for all three characters. This is totally where the characters could have headed if the writers hadn't thrown in the 2nd breakup in season 7 for gratuitous dramatic effect. It's also interesting to think about Kelso's latent feelings for Jackie. In this happy scenario you've created, I hope Kelso would go pull his head out of his butt and be there for Brooke! Hehe. Anyhoo, thanks again for the happy reading. :)
appalove chapter 6 . 2/9/2014
Ah Kelso, that conniving jerk. It's very interesting to put them in this scenario and see how Kelso and Hyde's friendship fares. There really is an undercurrent of competitive agression that emerges for those two, even in times without girl issues. When you take away Kelso's dopey joviality, it's easy to see him devolving into underhanded tactics. But aside from that, I love his newfound appreciation for Jackie, because those two did have something very sweet and innocent about them when Kelso wasn't being a doofus. Your stories inspire much analysis!
A Adela chapter 12 . 7/14/2012
3 is the magic number. no really this will be the third fanifc of yours to be in my favorites. hotdog you need to have a good day tomorrow in exchange for the great reads ;)
Pretty Racing chapter 12 . 8/23/2011
Clever idea! Kelso quits pot and becomes a better person! I was a little worried around the middle, like, um, this is a JH right? lol. Glad it was! 3 Fantastic story!
HippieDippie88 chapter 5 . 1/13/2011
This chapter really made this story my new addiction. Very entertaining. And I love getting some emotion from Hyde.

Hyde's burn on Donna was great. Not her biggest fan. And typical of Jackie to send Eric off to talk to him.

And letting Hyde open up to him a little was great. They really are best friends.

Love them together. They really work.

I love the whole scene with Hyde and Jackie. They're so close to letting each other in, but always stopping short.

That's always been a problem for them.

I always thought they had the most amazing relationship on the show. It was a lot deeper than the others. They fit so perfectly, in spite of their differences. There was just too many things they never said.
HippieDippie88 chapter 4 . 1/13/2011
I gotta say, Kelso and Jackie are teaming up just a little too much. No surprise that Hyde is getting ticked.

A really funny chapter though. I always love it when the gang's all together.

I liked the little bit of Hyde POV in this chapter too. I'd been missing that.

His head is so much fun to be inside.

Sad about the circle breaking up though. It's not the same without Kelso and Jackie.

Nice plot you've got going. Hyde could use a little healthy competition.

I was a little unsure at first, but I think I'm really going to enjoy this story. It's definitely caught my attention.
HippieDippie88 chapter 3 . 1/13/2011
Ok, there's definitely trouble for Jackie and Hyde. She's not going to stay quiet forever. She wouldn't be her if she did. And that's a good thing. I just hate to see them having a rough time.

And poor Kelso. Maturing just isn't easy for him.

I really feel for him. And he cracks me up.

I like that him and Jackie are getting a chance to talk. He never really gets actual conversations with her on the show. And you know that they had to actually talk at some point. It was unavoidable.

Now she needs to talk to Hyde.

Anyway. I can see things moving forward. Kelso really is showing signs of smartening up a little. Of course, he always had moments like that. They were rare, but they happened. Always great when they did.
HippieDippie88 chapter 2 . 1/13/2011
And time for another review. I like this story enough to actually remember to do that. It's funny.

Love Hyde and the oven mitts.

Loved that whole part actually. It makes me laugh. I wasn't all that surprised that Kelso didn't manage this one. I have only one worry. I'd really not like to see this turn into a Jackie/Kelso fic.

I love him, just not with Jackie.

The part with the 30 firecrackers on Kelso's butt sounds so perfect. He'd definitely do that.

I'm hoping the circle will only be missing a person for a while, not completely gone.

I think Kelso's lack of intelligence comes more from not caring than smoking.

Figures he'd be their human guinea pig for the experiment.
HippieDippie88 chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
I can totally see Hyde doing that with the hair dryer.

And Jackie's totally in character.

Gotta love Hyde's hatred of the 'w' word.

Kind of disappointed to see Jackie still trying to push him too much. She's too critical. He wouldn't react so badly to her pushing if she weren't so snobbish about it.

Also, nice to see a story that goes into Kelso's brains. And yes, he does have them. They showed that pretty often when the show first started. He was more ignorant than he was stupid. :P There's a big difference. We've seen him show a knack for both numbers and computers. Not just anybody could have added all that together in "The Keg". I certainly couldn't. I tried. I like that you're going to go into that a little bit.

And I'm off to read the next chapter. Yay for it already being posted. :D
MistyMountainHop chapter 12 . 10/13/2010
In response she raced through each room, exclaiming in wonder at the faux marble laminex in the kitchenette, praising the view of the tyre factory from their bedroom, becoming lyrical at the discovery of a linen closet in the hallway. In conclusion, she launched herself into Hyde's arms, kissing him enthusiastically. "I love it!

I love it!" she cried.

I like how you've made this apartment shabby in contrast to the house Kelso bought her, but because it has Hyde, it's basically like a palace to Jackie.

"Thank God for that because I signed a one year lease this morning," Hyde answered.

"Wow, you're taking on a commitment for an entire year?" Jackie teased.

Aww, he committed for a year! He loves her.

"Hey, I haven't been there that long! It's only been a couple of years."

"Feels like seven," murmured Jackie.

LOL Nice meta-textual comment/joke.

"That's like me suggesting to you we light the fireplace with cash."

LOL

Again, you've written a really fun, satsifying story dealing with some of the mess the show did to Jackie and Hyde. You are so creative with the premises you come up with for these characters, which keeps them fresh.
MistyMountainHop chapter 11 . 10/13/2010
Hyde pounded the door of Kelso's apartment as though warming his fist up for the coming confrontation

Such a great image/simile.

"Don't you dare try to say this is the same situation! You cold-bloodedly dumped Jackie. Of course she would move onto someone better. Someone like me."

Thank you. It always bothered me that Kelso kept whining about Hyde "stealing" Jackie when Kelso hooked up with the first beach chick he found. The double-standard, hypocrisy (although I understand why Kelso wouldn't have wanted her to be with Hyde)...

"Like you can take anything I say about the government as gospel!" Hyde scoffed. "Don't you know me at all?"

LOL I somehow doubt Hyde would dismiss his beliefs about the gov't and what-not, but it's a cute line.

"You let her break up with you because you're too chicken-shit to take a chance on having a future with her, and then when you luck out and she comes back to you, you still don't offer her anything more than you did from the beginning when it was all about hot sex and your convenience."

Good call, Kelso. Taternuts makes sense.

"When she asks you if you want to marry her she's really asking if you love her and won't leave her. I would have thought that someone who had been abandoned by loved ones as much as you would at least get that!"

Kelso's newfound intelligence has given him some really good insight.

Looking back, he realised Jackie's marriage chatter had begun as her parents started dropping out of her life. She was not as tough as he was and needed reassurance that she was not alone.

Really nice connection.

"now I've got this crazy beautiful girl who gets hurt not only by the things I say but even the stuff I don't say."

I really like how well you put this, that Jackie gets hurt by the things Hyde *doesn't* say.

"Look on the bright side," Kelso replied. "I offered Jackie everything she ever said she wanted and you offered her bupkes. And she still chose you."

"Yeah, she did, didn't she?" Hyde said, a smirk growing on his face. "Not a bad burn to go out on."

LOL It *is* a good burn.

"I ran away from our problems by driving to California, but you run away just by putting on your sunglasses and clamming up."

Another good insight from Kelso. I really like this.

"Owwww," Kelso moaned, reverting to his natural doofus state.

LOL "Natural doofus state".
MistyMountainHop chapter 10 . 10/13/2010
As Kelso's lips pressed against hers, suddenly Jackie felt her body react strongly to his touch – in revulsion.

Revulsion! Wow. D

"He is part of me. He's in my blood. It doesn't matter if he is rich, poor, black, white, good or bad. I belong to him and I can't run away from that," Jackie said this carefully, as though the realization came upon her as she spoke the words.

LOVE!

Jackie broke away from Kelso's hold. "OK, I'm getting tired of you guys talking about me like I'm a boosted candy bar. I chose Steven, just like you chose Laurie and Pam Macey and the other 1,001 skanks you screwed. Even if you had been smarter it doesn't follow you would have been any more moral. History has shown the most brilliant people can turn into total idiots when it comes to relationships.

You write such a strong Jackie. It's wonderful.

"Stop following your silly little heart and wise up."

LOL That's so wrong of Kelso to say. Does he even remember who he's talking to?

Looking up at the beautiful large house, Hyde had a sick feeling that once again he had failed to measure up...

Aww, poor Hyde.

Then he thought of Jackie and his expression hardened – he would not go down without a fight.

And yay, Hyde! You fight for your woman.

The thought flew through her head that her face would be getting shoulder burn from all the shoulders she had cried on today.

Nice image. It's both funny and sad.

"And because I am so hopelessly in love with you that it scares me."

*dies*

"You don't have to be scared," he said huskily. Her eyes pleaded with him to go on, but again the words would

not come. Instead he found himself saying "I have to go find Kelso. I'll meet you back at the basement later."

This is great. Hyde's halfway there. I hope he doesn't hurt Kelso... too badly. P
MistyMountainHop chapter 9 . 10/13/2010
Kelso brought home that dog last night I knew this was serious."

"Fez, quit babbling. What does one of Kelso's dates have to do with anything?"

LOL Nice.

"I said I think it's over," Jackie repeated, raising mournful red eyes to Kelso.

Poor Jackie.

Kelso took Jackie's cold face between his two hands and smiled into her eyes.

Evocative image. "Cold face" especially makes it.

Jackie began to feel like she was on the edge of a precipice and did not know which way to fall.

The other way! LOL But nice tension here (in terms of what this means for Jackie and Hyde's relationship).

"What? Michael, are you serious? Oh my God!" Jackie squealed as Kelso slid a key into the front door lock. As he led Jackie into the house, for once she was bereft of words. He showed her through each beautiful room, pointing out the polished Oregon pine floors and leadlight windows, the immaculate kitchen and charming dining room, the bay window with the reading annex with a view of Mount Hump. When he opened the back door to show her the landscaped backyard, a shining red blur raced up the back steps and jumped excitedly up and down in front of her.

This is a really nice descriptive paragraph.

"I'm ready now, Jackie," he said solemnly as he flipped open the latch to display a dazzling engagement ring to her amazed stare. "I love you. I want to be with you – always."

Terrific culmination (and OH, NO... LOL).

so unreal was it to suddenly have all her wishes answered all at once.

except for the fact that it's the wrong man fulfilling them...

And she lets him kiss her... Dun-dun-dun... *dramatic music* D
MistyMountainHop chapter 8 . 10/13/2010
"Jackie, for your sake I hope the bed is on fire," he growled.

LOL

"You know I need at least 15 hours sleep each day. Now I'm going to have to squeeze in an extra hour during my work siesta."

LMAO Oh, Hyde.

It's so sad that Hyde's being dismissive of Jackie's dream-vision of their future. But all the dialogue from both Jackie and Hyde is very in character, sounds like them. Nicely done.

Hyde started to feel the pressure of Jackie's future plans pushing at him, trapping him. The pressure of having to deal with adult responsibilities, of being responsible for another person's happiness, of being tied down to one person and one place. Sometimes the picture of a loving family that she had just painted was everything he ever wanted, but other times it scared him stupid.

Hyde's main conflict here. He's in a tough bind, internally and externally.

Jackie exploded. "Not getting my own way? When do I ever get my way with you, Steven? You never give an inch. Everything has to be on your terms. You've never even told me you were sorry for breaking my heart 5 months ago. You've never even told me you loved me!"

"Yes, I did!" Hyde said, outraged.

"One freaking time you've said those words to me, at a time when by all laws of love they could not be taken seriously. Never since. That's the real reason why you couldn't see a future with me, isn't it, Steven? When you love someone you want to hold onto them but my only purpose in your life is as your sex buddy!"

"What!"

"You said it yourself – you think sex is the only thing we have in common. Well, I've got news for you, Steven

Hyde. I deserve better!" With that, Jackie stormed out of her bedroom, leaving Hyde stunned. By the time he had the sense to pull on his clothes and run after her, she was nowhere in sight.

This whole exchange is heartbreaking and necessary. I love Jackie's strength here. Hyde needed to hear all this.

Now let's see how Kelso will take advantage of Jackie's vulnerability... And how Hyde will deal with being confronted by Jackie's true feelings.