Reviews for Prologue to Fame
BakerStreetIsLastRefugeOfHope chapter 2 . 2/5/2012
What was she going to say about Watson?
BakerStreetIsLastRefugeOfHope chapter 1 . 2/5/2012
It must have been one of his smaller cases.
x-Pick'n'Mix-x chapter 2 . 11/21/2010
hey, i know u wrote this ages ago but i just read it and really liked it :) please can u carry it on? pretty please? :)
Zigadenus chapter 2 . 7/19/2006
OMG! You're alive! Welcome back, and kudos on a fine installment to your story. You handle Victorian conversation very deftly, and your description is just verbose enough to be Victorian, without assaulting the casual reader. I was a bit disappointed to find that this second chapter wasn't a continuation of Watson's narrative from the prologue, as you manage his "voice" very adroitly. Nevertheless, this was, in fact, quite enjoyable.

I agree that this does seem a good place to break off the chapter, at least in the context of the conversation and plot thus far. However, I can't help but feel as if we do not really know the characters, yet. I don't know, it's a bit of a conundrum. It does make logical sense to stop here, as it leaves the reader eager to discover what Holmes and Watson are up to. However, at the same time, there has been little in the way of plot development to entice the reader back, and the characters, as I've mentioned, have been known to the reader too short a time for a rapport to have developed. I don't really have an answer for you, just my thoughts on it.

One quibble about the final bits of conversation: why would she ask if "this person" (I'm assuming Holmes) is a friend of Allie's, if in the previous sentence, he had mentioned that he "did not even know who Mr. Holmes [was]."? No mention had yet been made of Dr Watson, and Dr Gregory was known to both, therefore I assume she was referring to Holmes.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more!
Baldur chapter 2 . 7/19/2006
Good start for a story!

Cant wait to see the new chappy and by the way I love Watson too :D
Amberlin chapter 1 . 8/29/2005
Hello there! This is Amberlin. I would firstly like to thank you dearly for all your support of my stories and your consistent and encouraging reviews you send my way!

You have really have started off with a very elequent and, I daresay, a good substitute for the voice of Watson.

But I see you have not updated? What gives?
Haley Moore chapter 1 . 7/27/2005
Yes, quite Holmesian sounding. I hope you keep this up. I shall be honoured to read the rest when you continue.
Dark Gotham chapter 1 . 7/16/2005
How sweet I love it!
HouAreYouToday chapter 1 . 7/6/2005
Oh fantastic! The style sounds great, and I definitely look forward to reading this :)
Ancient Doctor chapter 1 . 7/3/2005
Sounds good! And no, it's not dense! Keep it up, look foreward to it!
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 1 . 7/2/2005
No, not too dense at all. The sentences are authentically long and circuitous, as most late-Victorian writing tends to be. I think the tone of this first chapter was also mischievous and teasing - you give these hints, but skip onto the next tantalising clue without explaining anything. It's actually pretty Watsonian (if that's a word). I look forward to reviewing your story as loyally as you have reviewed mine!
Ad Absurdum chapter 1 . 7/2/2005
This is really good. Interesting beginning, the style is just right and it's funny too. Looking forward to reading the rest.

P.S. couldn't reach you any other way, but, of course, you can have that line about Watson clutching the stethoscope - I'll be honoured. :-)

cheers

AA
Ed-Wood chapter 1 . 7/1/2005
Hi,

Wow, the style sounds really authentic - very well written! I'm looking forward to your new story!