Reviews for High Hopes
Nutterfly chapter 1 . 2/24/2010
This is a nice mix of a fictional story built around a real event. A seemingly straight-forward mission gets trickier with each page. Sam may think he’s done the wrong things – but I wanted to slap some sense into Becky-Lou for being so flighty! (Which makes her a good character as you can easily see her side of the situation, too.)

As with the previous story in this series, there’s trouble at PQL HQ which not only helps build tension but also gives us the opportunity to get to know the people there as individuals rather than stock characters. Al gets to be a hero and Sam’s knowledge of human nature provides the right ending.
Irish Story Teller chapter 19 . 1/19/2009
This really is a great story. :) You got Sam down perfectly. I must admit I laughed a bit in the first chapter but poor Sam. He really does go through a lot.

I look forward to reading your other stories.
Sherlock's Sparrow chapter 19 . 11/14/2006
Great job! I loved it very much! Can't wait to read the next one!

Yours Sincerely,

Sherlock's Sparrow
LadyKayoss chapter 19 . 3/5/2006
Wow... you ARE the 'Queen of Cruel,' aren't you? You're my hero! *bows worshipfully* Now, let's see...

First of all, it's rather cool to think that Dean Stockwell could have read this very same story! It must have been so cool to actually meet him! (okay, that's it with the fangirlish glee.)

This was another great story. Leaping into a skier was a good way to start it off. Poor Sam. And the avalanche was frightening! You do Sam-in-peril very well. And I look forward to reading about him as a nanny. *evil grin* Poor, poor Sam...

I liked how you referenced Marvin and his 'brain the size of a planet' comments, because, for some reason, I was thinking about the very same thing.

Loved the use of Jill Kinmont; her story really is a sad one, and it fit the story very well.

The story of how Sam got his white lock of hair made even ME wince in sympathy, and I'm not even a guy. Ouch.
Madders Ahatter chapter 19 . 8/22/2005
My apologies to those Al fans who were disappointed in the absence of any first person scenes with Ruthie.

It is fair comment and duly noted.

This situation may possibly be remedied in either story 4 or story 5. Watch this space!

Indirectly, "Run for their Lives" reveals what happened regarding the promise Al made, and also explains what has been going on with Gushie.

Thank you for reading!

The Author
PippinDuck chapter 19 . 8/20/2005
Loved the kiss with history...flawlessly executed. The story was tightly written and I thought the exchange with Sam and Al about why things "went wrong" in this Leap was terrific.

Now, you had to know this was coming...I was really hoping to SEE some interaction with Al and Ruthie, the fulfillment of the promise and what's going on with Gushie...I suspect he's off to a funeral. Still, the story and all subplots are masterfully done. Overall...brava!
PippinDuck chapter 15 . 8/19/2005
Okay...obviously given the span between commenting, you've really sucked me in. Quite a lot going on with Al, and I really like the exchange between he and Sam in this chapter. I'm hoping to actually get to see some of what he talked about firsthand before this story closes. You've written both our heroes very well, and I must confess that this Al-coholic has been more fully captured by the "subplot" than the main one! Superbly written.
PippinDuck chapter 5 . 8/19/2005
Loved this little interlude about the project-particularly the revelation about Al's coffee mug and what an ingenious game show you cooked up. I suspect trouble is brewing for Al...
PippinDuck chapter 3 . 7/21/2005
Finally got a chance to start in on this. Great descriptions, characterizations. Love the last bit with Sam and Al. Look forward to more.