Reviews for Spring Planting
Rian Steelsheen chapter 1 . 7/10/2010
Aww little Faramir is cute!

I've always liked Denethor, he doesn't get a hundredth part of the respect he deserves!

I loved the imagery, thanks for sharing!
dancingkatz chapter 1 . 8/1/2006
The imagery an dforeshadowing are beautifully done. Kudos for NOT doing the "Denethor has ALWAYS hated Faramir" thing!
GreyWolfEyes chapter 1 . 8/21/2005
*sigh* They really are such a tragic family... Poor Denethor. Poor Boromir. Poor Faramir. *sigh* But it's so sweet! *cries uncontrollably* Why couldn't their lives just have gone on, with no palantirs, no Sauron, no orcs, no death... I spose I'd have to take that up with Iluvatar.

Anyway, another great one-shot - kudos to you for getting Faramir's appearance right (I didn't even know what Faramir's hair color really was til my cousin pointed it out to me), beautiful imagery...and the arrowhead and Denethor's premonitions...*starts to cry all over again* Why so afflicted must ye be? (why so stupid must I be?) *suddenly grins* And toothless Faramir... :D (I would say he was cute, but the beating I received from Eowyn last time I said it is still very much with me...this time she might not use the blunt side of her sword! *cowers in fear*) Alright, well, I'm off. Update soon!

-GreyWolfEyes
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 8/1/2005
Lovely! Well-written and full of poignant irony. And what a treat to see a Denethor who cares about both his sons.

-Rose
Arahiril chapter 1 . 7/3/2005
Wonderfully ironic, esp since Boromir dies because of arrows and Faramir nearly does. Very well-written.
Lilan chapter 1 . 7/3/2005
I have read this at The Stories Of Arda, but don't remember if I left any comment there. Oh, no big deal, you cannot get too many of those, right?

Beautiful imagery, I mean the raven and the arrowhead. I personally have never believed in an evil Denethor, rather felt sorry about the poor man. Even here, the peace of early spring and the new hope, however feeble, of growing new things is tainted by the presence of war. It is so clear from your little story that it does not take a warrior to be afflicted by its horrors.

Rich, sad, and a pleasure to read. I hope to see more of your works some time.

Regards,

Lilan
Susan W chapter 1 . 7/2/2005
Excellent!

Loved your Denethor as the caring father!

Such a cute image of a grimy Fara with the missing tooth and dirt on his nose! And Boromir anxiously waiting to go look at the ancient armor that was found in the field.

Loved this line, "This dread will I know for each day until I die. He felt as if the arrow had been buried in his heart".

A powerful reminder that Mordor is still there and his darling sons will one day be soldiers in Gondor's army.

More, please!
Sevilodorf chapter 1 . 7/2/2005
A nice vignette. Is there more to the tale?
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 7/2/2005
A lovely short story! Everything is perfect and credible - young Boromir's putting up with talk of fields and fences while eager to see more martial things, sweet little Faramir innocently bringing his father a deadly treasure. The last line, "This dread will I know for each day until I die. He felt as if the arrow had been buried in his heart.", is absolutely marvelous; because we know how Denethor's dread will return to haunt him.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 7/2/2005
Very chilling and well written knowing how Faramir almost dies.
valis2 chapter 1 . 7/2/2005
A haunting short story. It really conveyed the sorrow of Denethor and made me think anew of their life on the edge. Great writing!