Reviews for Branwyn's Baubbles
MiniFruitbat chapter 25 . 8/20/2006
o.o Such a massive collection of OneShots. I must say, as someone who deliberately shuns all online poetry, I even enjoyed the poem. Diagnosis was certainly my favourite piece, probably because it was dark and cruel and you had to read carefully to know precisely what had happened. Well done!
GreyWolfEyes chapter 25 . 2/16/2006
"Your touch on my-"

That line is priceless. I have a guess that the rest of the sentence probably isn't even that bad (I mean, they're elves! They seem like they would be less driven about by the winds of passion than mere mortals are), but still. But then Elladan wanting to read the rest of the letter...*narrows eyes and smacks him* Bad elf.

Oh oh! Did I guess right? Is the letter to Elrohir but Elladan got it? I have a sense about these things. I am totally right, aren't I? Except probably not...

I love how you can portray really sad moments, and then bounce back and write these light-hearted ones. Too often it seems a writer is stuck in one of the extremes (like me - I seems to always sink into the Pit of Angst). But you're not. You rock, mate.
GreyWolfEyes chapter 24 . 2/16/2006
Faramir's such a good leader... He should be made prince of Ithilien. Oh wait, he was. He deserved it, too.

I like the little bit about the waterfall - waterfallpretty, but not so good for the gear. I would never have thought about that. I like the phrase you used for it, too: "damp breath". You're so good at personifying things instead of just describing them.
GreyWolfEyes chapter 23 . 2/16/2006
Aw, that's so sad. Poor guy. What an awful situation to be in... To burn or not to burn? Loyalty on both sides...*shivers*

*frowns* I hated how in the movie the litter-bearer/guard people just looked like empty-headed drones who were just there to take up space. They didn't seem at all affected by the scene happening right in front of them. But you made it much more personal. Poor guy...
GreyWolfEyes chapter 22 . 2/16/2006
Wah! *cries* It's so pretty...

Yay, Beregond! You know, I didn't actually realize until my second time through the books that he saved my favorite character. I'm not sure why I didn't get it - point A did not meet point B in my brain or something - but the second time through, I was like, Oi! He saved Faramir! *glomp* So anyway, I'm glad you put him in here. He's awesome. I love how he helps Elboron draw - it fits him. Just a few touches...sure...*grins*

And Elboron is so little and cute. I like how he drew Eomer bigger than the other fighters and almost as big as an Oliphaunt - I'm probably reading too much into that, but it felt like a subtle hint at what Elboron thinks of his uncle. It's sweet. And of course, the Oliphaunt itself - pink. Cause what other color would a little kid draw one? *grins* Well done!
GreyWolfEyes chapter 21 . 2/1/2006
Ah, Boromir hanging out with the luckless dead (wait, I mean faithless. I spose they'd be luckless, too, though, being dead but not, I spose)... I bet if he was allowed to hang around in ME after he died, that's where he would go. If he knew they were going to help Aragorn. If he didn't, he probably wouldn't really care about hanging out with them. Unless he was just curious about what they were like. What kind of ale dead folk drink. ...Yeah. Can you tell it's my Go-Off-on-a-Tangent day? Anyway...

I really liked the last line: "Gray mists closed around the tall shadow; then the wind blew them aside, leaving naught but empty darkness." Such beautiful imagery (sp?)! I love it.
GreyWolfEyes chapter 20 . 2/1/2006
Haha! I am here! I really meant to review this one-shot sooner (like when you posted it on your livejournal months ago), but the wargs kept me away. Wargs being work and...more work. But anyway.

This vignette is so pretty - you know so much about Medieval Era type stuff (where do you even find out about stuff like ells and lavender garlands?), yet you don't suffocate the reader with a "I know more than you do!" undertone.

All the pretty cloth for different dead or non-existent people...it's so sad. A legacy of cloth... (OK, maybe that's getting a little too romantic). I think I like the blip about cloth for the maid-child the best - you go beyond the obvious people and hint at what might have been. It's so good!

P.S. Thanks so much for your reviews over on livejournal and tolkienweekly... You're my favorite author ever!
Raksha The Demon chapter 21 . 1/23/2006
A shivery concept, that Boromir could be among the Dead summoned by Aragorn. While it's sad that he couldn't bide awhile, it's good that Aragorn let him go find the peace that he deserved.
Raksha The Demon chapter 23 . 1/23/2006
One of your best drabbles, and dealing with a subject we don't see raised in LOTR fanfic very often - the servants who helped Denethor kill himself and almost kill his son. How did they feel about their actions during the time they obeyed those fateful commands, and afterwards? I can't help but feel sorry for them; though Beregond was more heroic in risking his life and honor to disobey the rules and defy his liege-lord to prevent atrocities.

This servant's defensive attitude suggest that he feels some guilt; also, that others are shocked at his actions, which is easy in hindsight. And the servant's memory of knowing Faramir, of being fond of him since Faramir was a child, add a terrible poignancy to the servant's carrying out Denethor's orders.
Raksha The Demon chapter 24 . 1/23/2006
Nice drabble about Faramir, who trusted preparation and strategy more than fortune, and so improved his own luck as well as that of his men.
Raksha The Demon chapter 22 . 1/23/2006
Aw. This is so cute. The idea of the terribly destructive mumak becoming a pink drawing by the son of a Ranger-Captain who fought the beasts, is marvelous. The interplay between Faramir, Elboron and Beregond is nicely written. And I love little Elboron's depiction of Eomer as tall as the oliphaunt; how very apt.
GreyWolfEyes chapter 19 . 11/1/2005
Oh...I love the way you describe the candle. Such pretty imagery.

I love all your Faramir/Eowyn drabbles (as I've mentioned before, I think) - you portray them both so well. Like the way you have Eowyn call Faramir "husband" instead of, you know, "Faramir". It somehow just makes more sense for her to say husband. Hmm. Have you ever read a fic where someone calls Faramir "Fara"? Uhg, I hate that. It's so...not good. But yours is. Good, I mean. Right. Well, another excellent job - update soon!

-WolfEyes
Raksha The Demon chapter 19 . 10/31/2005
Beautiful and just a bit spooky. A wonderful Halloween moment in M-e.

I'm guessing that the four candles were for Boromir, Denethor, Theodred and Theoden...
Patty chapter 19 . 10/31/2005
I'm with Eowyn! Sniff . . . Lovely drabble.
lindahoyland chapter 19 . 10/31/2005