Reviews for The Roots of the Ivy: Extended Edition
TMI Fairy chapter 131 . 8/7/2013
Thank you very much for this wonderful story.
khaleesiofthewolves chapter 131 . 3/6/2013
Wow. I never read a story like this. Honestly, this touched my heart. I read this from beginning to end. I loved the build up of the relationship. It was not rushed at all. I totally loved this story.
Guest chapter 64 . 1/30/2013
I'm going to kill Derpwyn...
LunaEvenstar chapter 131 . 12/14/2012
My brain is currently overloaded from the sheer enjoyment I got out of this story. The first 1/4 or so was extremely cute; I giggled or squealed at the end of every chapter and I'm not normally that girly. But then I started to detect the sexual tension between Ivy and Pippin and the fic took on a whole different tone: still engaging, but tense and occasionally frustrating. You have no idea how much I wanted Diamond to just die or something so that Ivy could be with her true love. I could totally feel Ivy's impatience over having to wait that long and when she finally got with Pip, it was all I could do to keep from cheering out loud. I was sad when you killed off Estella and Faramir but I suppose that was part of a bigger picture in one sense. Overall, I am thrilled to have discovered your writing! It is seriously so gripping that I read this entire story in just two sittings: I got all the way through the first 102 chapters yesterday and only stopped because it was almost 4 a.m. and I had to go to school. If the rest of the Ivyverse is this amazing, I may not be sleeping much anytime soon...
milkywaymidnight chapter 131 . 10/28/2012
This is one of the most epic LOTR fics that I've ever read! Seriously. And I adore the pairing, so thanks so much for this.
bakaindisguise chapter 131 . 6/14/2012
Hello, Aranel Took! I say this rare-for-reviews 'hello', because it's not a simple review I'm going to write. Well, it's obviously gonna be a review, but a really long one. I feel it's the least I can do to thank You for giving us, readers, this gem called 'The Roots of the Ivy'.

I only watched LOTR movies for the first time a couple of weeks ago - still haven't read the books, though - and was overwhelmed by how enthralling they were. By their magnificent storyline. And, of course, by the characters. It's unusual for a movie to make me cry and lough sincerely, but LOTR did. Well but anyways. For the first two movies I saw Merry and Pippin only as an item, but Return of the King made me see them both in a different light. They both became individual heroes - Pippin together with Faramir, and Merry together with Eowyn. Of course, I didn't have an idea of Merry and Eowyn together then - but giving the movies some thought afterwards and being a 'crack' pairings lover that I am, I soon did. I came to , but didn't find anything that caught my eye (reason unknown) and left this matter for the time being. But then, I saw some person on internet recommending his/her two favorite LOTR fics - and The Roots of the Ivy was one of them. I looked it up - and was SO THRILLED to see it's about Eowyn AND Marry! :) I knew then I was going to read and enjoy it.

But I didn't know I'd enjoy it to such extent.

Not only you managed to beautifully depict Merry and Eowyn's relationship, but all the other relationships as well. It's amazing, really, how you had me cheering for all of them. Well, except for Pippin and Diamond, of course! But that was the plan, wasn't it? ;)

I must admit that at some point into the story - I'd guess it was around 20th chapter - I got worried. Eowyn was happy with Faramir, and Merry on the verge of marrying Estella, and that unsettled me. I couldn't help feeling a bit of animosity towards Estella, as she was coming between the pairing I adored, even though she was clearly a lovely character and I felt I shouldn't dislike her for bringing Merry the happiness he deserved. So I went and read the final two chapters and felt so relieved to find out that Merry DID end up with Eowyn eventually. But then I saw... Pippin AND Ivy? Surely didn't see that coming. But it immediately caught my interest. I HAD to find out how the lovely couple got together ;)

And, of course, not long after, I was rooting for them like crazy! :D I couldn't stop reading your fic till 4 A.M. I only stopped when I got my Ivy & Pippin fix, and that happened to be their first night together. Yes, it was kind of desperate and maybe not thoroughly romantic, but it was beautiful. Their love is beautiful. And so, SO real.

This whole fic felt so REAL. And I mean it in the best possible way.

Life, love, birth, death... You portrayed all of them perfectly and professionally. Again I must repeat myself and tell you how real (not realistic!) it all felt.

It's also a very inspiring story. It inspires you to believe in the power of friendship, family and most of all - true love. It inspired me to continue believing I would find the Man I'd happily spend my life with, because this belief of mine was wavering already and had led to some 'why not' relationships that hadn't and couldn't last. Similar to Ivy and Darren's, in fact. Now I believe there will come a day when I'll be with my 'Pippin' - and it's worth waiting. :)

Oh and, hehe, I loved the educational aspect of the story :D I will know 'what to expect when you're expecting' now! And some other things, too ;))

Sadly, I have to end my review soon (it's late already and I haven't studied a bit for my exam today - but this story is really worth getting a lower mark in an exam!), so I just want to say one other thing. I've read tons of fics with tons of OCs (that I usually don't like), but it's the first time I really loved an OC. Your Ivy was and is wonderful. I like all the kids, too, of course, notably Theo! But Ivy... she's amazing. She's almost canon to me now. :) I'm so glad she found happiness with Pippin and gave so much happiness to others. Especially her parents.

I sure hope to read more about married Eowyn and Merry in your fics. I will read The Course of Love once my exam period is over. I just need to see them happy together :) oh and speaking of the sequels, have you published The Wanderers somewhere? I haven't been able to find it in your stories' list. :(

So. HUGE THANKS for writing this amazing piece of (art) fanfiction! It was truly one of my favorite reads here. God bless You and your wonderful imagination. :)

Please continue writing and making readers happy.

I will look forward to your new works (reading the old ones comes first, of course!).

Thanks again,

merrypippin chapter 18 . 9/23/2011
I feel sorry for poor Merry - I didn't want Ivy to grow up past one year either!

Your ability to keep such a long story so riviting and well done is amazing. I was so happy that you brought Merry and Eowyn back together after all that time, although I was really sad for Esthella and Faramir to die. You maneged to weave their romance through the years so well. I am a huge fan!
Lt-Spork89 chapter 131 . 9/26/2010
I really really freaking loved this one! It was beautifully written though there were times I wanted to cry, you made it better by at least the next chapter! I hope to read more of your works!

CrayonMentality chapter 3 . 8/9/2009
This story is really good- it's complex, with moments that are very sweet and more sombre tones as well. Enjoying it a lot so far. :)
TheFightingTemeraire chapter 2 . 4/6/2009
At least the people who know are understanding. *hurredly clicks the Next button*
TheFightingTemeraire chapter 1 . 4/6/2009
To be honest, I ooed and giggled like a little kid when I read the pairing. I can only imagine what the baby will look like. Anyway, it sure is original (sort of, I mean, there was always a possibility) and it's got me interested in what happens next.
Sheepicus Matticus chapter 15 . 11/24/2007
This story is AMAZING! I have yet to finish it, seeing as how it is over one hundred chapters, but what I have read is absolutely delightful! I will continue to read it until I finish, then it will be on to the rest of your stories!
J. Dawnwolf chapter 131 . 10/13/2007
This will be a long review, as I have waited until the end to say everything that I intended to. To say that I was cynical when I first saw this fic would probably be something of an understatement, but the quality and fluency of it has astounded me, and also prompted me to read the whole thing when many fics would have lost my interest by now. Part of what has astounded me is that this is not just one fic: the drabbles and the extras bring together a world, and you are clearly aware of this with the title of the Ivyverse which you use. This is what I would refer to as true AU, rather than things being changed just to suit an authorial whim.

I have not yet managed to read The Course of Love or The Wanderers, but I have no doubt that they will be of the same high calibre as this work. You are one of those precious few writers whom I can describe as having restored my faith in which had at times been pretty sorely lacking. This is a story which proves that fanfiction is not just the domain of people vicariously living out fantasies or twisting storyline in the name of hollow 'jokes' which have a poor tendancy to fall flat.

What has impressed me the most... well, actually there were two things. First was your characterisation, the delicate way of balancing the characters as they were at the end of the Lord of the Rings and the way that they developed, whilst keeping them appropriate to their setting and in their reactions. Particularly impressive in my mind was (the Steward) Faramir's reaction to Ivy, as many people do not quite seem to know how to work with him without losing the peacefulness of his thoughts or turning him into a doormat. You have kept him true to character, and for that I commend you. The only character whom I did not feel many sides were felt of - and I can see the reason for their portrayal as it stands in the plot - was Diamond. Among the other characters, her portrayal seemed perhaps a little less three-dimensional, but this may also have been due to a lesser amount of time to the portrayal. Secondly was your ability to knit a true story with all factors - heartwarming and chilling scenes, emotional torment handled with a subtle touch, humour and grief. This to be honest brings the story to nothing short of novel standard, and makes me greatly hope that you are intended to seek publication with original work in years to come if you have not already done so.

I was driven on by a true desire to read more of your work, and that in itself has led me to recommend this offline as well as online, adding this to my favourite story and author lists. Hopefully, when I find the time the rest of the (as now) trilogy will follow, and I may even catch up with all of your writing in time.

Your worldbuilding is also good, taking what is known about the races in the books and extrapolating - for example, the life cycle of hobbits being lengthened and their tween years being more appropriately compared to human puberty. Drawing from the same root civilisations (the example which springs to mind being the use of old... Norse?... for Rohirric customs and language) has enriched the Ivyverse rather than making it pale beside the original stories, which I feel is particularly impressive when the great depth that there is to the histories Endor and Valinor is considered. Your awareness of history, the story of the war of the ring, and what passed in the time after is to be commended - running Ivy's childhood alongside the illness and eventual leaving of Frodo is something which I know would have taken a hell of a lot of research on my part. Mind you, in general I know that I could have never produced a story to equal this, because of its great spread of strengths.

There is much more which I want to say about this story, and therefore it is difficult to get into order. Pippin's relationship with his father and the resulting 'political' marriage to Diamond is not a slant on the tale that I had considered, but with hindsight it is one that I find interesting; more so than the saccharine idea which I must admit I had previously entertained. Faramir's death made me do such a double-take at the screen that I almost fell out of my chair; although this is one thing which struck me as being strongly outside of canon (somehow, I accepted Ivy's conception and birth all the same, though why my mind throws up such disparate arguements is a mystery to me), it still fitted the world which you were creating, one more dangerous than many would dare to deal in. I suppose that what I am trying to express is my delight at finding such a story, such a writer, and indeed such a world.
M Elizabeth Penn chapter 1 . 8/8/2007
I totally had to show you this! I've been reading this story, and I was looking through some artwork and I found this:

deviation / 10908961 /

Totally gave me the warm fuzzies, and I thought you might want to see it. )
xmutedx chapter 2 . 2/26/2007
At first I was skeptical about Eowyn/Merry, but you've done a very good job! This is extremely entertaining! :)